To rent or not to rent.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you're in Texas....anywhere near Dallas? ScubaToys - Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service

You may also want to price anything you're considering buying thru them - they often have the best deal, can include something else so it becomes the best deal, or at least will match the best price you find. Everything they sell also has a full manufacturer's warranty so you can also work it the other way - buy something your local shop is also a dealer for from Scubatoys and get it serviced locally. If your local shop has a dealer agreement they can't refuse to service the same gear bought new elsewhere. Most of the smart ones don't anyway.

I've been buying from ScubaToys - and LeisurePro.com for the better part of a decade. It is worthwhile to call Scubatoys also - sometimes there's a mfr's price they're required to post publicly and another price they can offer you in person. I believe being in TX you will have to pay any sales tax.

There's certainly no reason not to support your local shop also if they're competitive. I have occasionally bought from them at a slightly higher price when something needed to fit. I don't local dive so air fill availability etc. are of less significance to me - I probably only visit a dive shop once a year or less.

LeisurePro is another good option except that some of their lines carry their equivalent warranty instead of the manufacturer's since they aren't licensed dealers. It's generally going to be the stuff where their price is phenomenally better than you can find elsewhere. Their warranty coverage is spelled out on their website but it's basically ship it to them for anything. You may/may not want to do that. The problem will be that you'll pay full price for service if needed somewhere else - even if that dealer also sells your gear. On LeisurePro this is mostly an issue with [-]ScubaPro[/-] Aqualung gear and maybe a couple of lesser brands. They are licensed dealers for many of the lines they carry. Every mfr. has a dealer locator on their website to check.

i wouldn't buy before certification for two reasons. One is you may not certify. Not everyone does for various reasons, often something not foreseen when you start - like medical complications at depth etc. Most issues can eventually be resolved with extra training etc. but a small percentage of people do flunk out. Usually even the shop you work thru has some sort of re-stocking fee because technically gear used by you in their pool is still used.

The other is that you don't know what you don't know right now. You can take the best recommendations of your shop but had I done that with mine I would've bought $2500 worth of gear pre-certification. Even the best, most honest shops have to make enough of a profit to keep the doors open - for most new students going thru certification are their best shot at selling them gear - sort of a captive audience.

Also what you're training in is based on what the shop has decided is the best thing for their rental fleet, not optimized for your diving. Since rentals take some abuse, it's probably lower end gear also. Most large mfr's have a rental line and a more optimized line. Very few shops stock the more expensive gear as rentals.

A basic example is that many shops rent Jacket BC's. They're perfectly fine and work well - one size fits all so they work well for your shop also. You've likely seen posts here about both back-inflate BC's and Backplate/Wings (BP/W) Either is possibly a better choice when you start to optimize your gear selections. Some people like and always dive jackets. Anyone I know whose switched has never switched back to their old Jacket. Except one person who liked the way hers floated her at the surface better. If you're doing it right, most BC's at depth have little to no air in them during normal diving.

Last edited:
In my early days of diving my spouse and I went to Cozumal and Cancun. We had never been on a "Dive trip" so all we had was our own computers.

We planed to just rent.

When we showed up at the dock to get our gear the dive shop wheeled out a 55 gallon barrel full of BCD'S and started pulling them out with both arms and they were flipping out on to the wooden dock in both directions hitting the deck, Bang Bang bang as they slammed onto the floor. Then they yelled grab one and lets get going. They were all worn out pieces of junk that had been thrown around and beat to death for years and years but we really didn't know any better. We grabbed one and got on the Cattle boat with everyone else and made the best of it. It was the usual cluster of over crowded boat with the divemaster trying to get it over with asap and nothing fit, most of the fasteners were broken ect...ect... We some how managed to live through it but As soon as I got home I bought my own stuff and have never rented again and never will.

Nothing says I just got my PADI C card yesterday , louder then, "Do you have gear I can rent?'

Debbie and I take our equipment EVERYWHERE. There are shops with quality gear for rent farther SOuth, but I have no persoanl knowledge regarding who is good in the Cancun area.
DivemasterDennis

I rent my equipment. I own a mask, snorkel, some wetsuits and a computer.

I've dived in the Philippines, Egypt and South Africa and never had a problem with rental gear. I am happy to ask for a different reg or BCD if I'm not sure that its in great nick.

As a very new diver, I'd caution you not to dive right in (if you'll pardon the pun) and buy all your kit. I have an idea of what I'll be looking for now that I've hired gear in a few different places. I think its easy to be pressured into feeling that you should have your own kit but I have no desire to own my own. I'm a holiday diver and have no particular desire to lug expensive, heavy kit all over the world. If you will be doing a lot of diving locally then hiring does become expensive.

I bought my gear before I finished OW class. I bought used but don't see that as a factor other than the budget. I bought a full kit and travel with my kit whenever I travel. I haven't found it to be particularly heavy for traveling with but I often get my check bags for free so I don't have that factor.

That said, rental regs aren't that scarey, from what I've seen, but I've never dealt with them first hand. A 2-10 minute inspection or try out will let you know if you want to use them or not.

The one thing I would really like to have is my own regulator. I don't really have a problem renting but to me the regulator is one thing that I want to know is in good condition.

"In good condition"..... But how do you test for that? The same way you might test any rental regulator out if the barrel.

So you'd rather rent a BCD? One with all the correct straps, intact clips, working elastic and sticky Velcro, but maybe a slow leak in the power inflator?

Not to worry, with a shiny new reg set, at least you'll have a steady supply of air until you run out.

if you want to "learn to rent", take an equipment course, or maybe just buy $50 worth of "how to" examination skills from the tech in the back room at the bench.

If you are really intent on buying something, I would suggest a hockey puck computer... You don't want to switch computers if you switch dive operators midweek. They are often not included in reg set rentals.

if you buy your own reg set, you're also by default saying that you'll be buying a computer and a SPG.

Then, maybe a wetsuit. If you're not an off the rack size, it makes real sense. Then those amongst us who are squeamish about other people's pee, well, they will chime in.

Buy whatever makes you happy, but make the effort to understand how to examine the failure points. Annual service generally doesn't prevent failures in the intervening 364 days.

I'd say first few times you go - rent. This will help you to enjoy things other than scuba. If you start bringing your own equipment, it will take most, if not all, of your luggage. Once you become more crazy with scuba, do bring your own stuff.

You can always bring your own mask and regulator mouth pieces of your own, the scuba op will install them for you on their own equipment. Thus, you'll have the best of both worlds.

There are two variants of regulator to mouthpiece dimensions, more for all I know. Interchangeability is not a given.

I had the pleasure of going to Cancun last summer. It was one of the better vacations we had on memory. You will have two choices regarding scuba. You can dive locally in Cancun which has very good but not stunning diving or take a ferry to Cozumel which from what I hear has much better diving. I didn't want to be away from the family for the whole day trying to get to Cozumel so my daughter and I dove locally in Cancun. I thought it was just fine.

If you opt for Cancun the dive shop that was on site and recommended by our hotel was Solo Buceo. I thought they did a good job and from what I can remember had up to date and well maintained scuba gear for rent. Prior to going to Mexico both my daughter and I had concerns about using rental gear from a dive shop without knowing if the LDS in Mexico could be trusted. We opted to rent her gear from my LDS. Since I'm a good customer with them they gave me a special price for a regulator with computer for the week.

I have my own gear and will take that along for any vacation where diving is in the picture. We have airline cards for most of the major airlines and will try to get the $25 baggage fee waived by using one of the membership cards. Even if they do charge us the baggage fee is less than what it would cost to rent gear for several days and I get to use gear that is a step up in performance than standard entry level gear.

At some point you should look how often you will be diving and would you be better off in the long run getting your own gear. After logging 26 dives I calculated all the money I had spent renting. At $45-$65 a dive I would have already been able to purchase a very nice package. For all of you out asking why I didn't do it earlier you don't have to get permission from my wife. To her point why pay $2,000 at once when it only cost $65 per rental. When it became clear that I was racking up the expenses anyways she begrudgingly acquiesced and I then bit the bullet and bought my own gear.

Have a great time in Cancun. If you get the chance we had a great dinner in a nice little restaurant La Distileria at the start of the strip.

Back
Top Bottom