To rent or not to rent.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I'm sure you can find a suitable place whose gear is in good repair, I believe it's often better to use your own gear that you KNOW is in good repair and has been properly serviced.

Exactly! You have more control over your own stuff. You don't need the top of the line equipment you just need something reliable that you can count on.

I always bring my own gear, if you have it bring it. Rental gear can vary from brand new to pieces of crap depending on the shop, you probably won't know until you're trying them on. I know my reg, I know how it breathes, I know when something doesn't sound right with my reg. not sure I'd be able to tell if something wasn't right with a reg I'm not familiar with.

Tanks and weights, if I had to fly. That's it. All the rest is mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purcahsed my gear prior to completing my OW book and pool classes. I took my gear to Hawaii and completed my certificaton dives. I only rented tanks, most dive boats provide weights. My safety is my responsibility, so I want to know that it is in working order and maintained. I want to know exactly how everthing works. In an emergency, how again did they say this works........?

Fast forward roughly five years and 150 dives. I have had the opportunity to dive all around the world with my gear. I have had the same dive equipment including the computer since OW certification. I now have back-up analog equipment (dive computer went down during a dive and did not have a way to determine my depth, time, or air supply). I even travel with a 19 cf pony tank.

Today, I know own three tanks and weights for local diving. Tropical wet suit, cold wet suit, and a cold water drysuit. Equipment is basic and robust.

Safe diving

I purcahsed my gear prior to completing my OW book and pool classes. I took my gear to Hawaii and completed my certificaton dives. I only rented tanks, most dive boats provide weights. My safety is my responsibility, so I want to know that it is in working order and maintained. I want to know exactly how everthing works. In an emergency, how again did they say this works........?

Where does that big pony bottle go on the plane? I assume you adept at removing the valve, as I belive that's required. Is it worth it?
I only have done one plane trip and brought my weights, as it's not too much when going to the tropics using only a body suit. They did question if they could be used as a weapon but said OK. Next time they go in the checked bag if weight of that permits it. Not the ideal choice of a weapon, you'd think....

In my view, scuba gear is so robust that the likelihood of encountering rental gear that is truly unsafe is miniscule. But if you want a regulator that breathes as smoothly as the best, then by all means buy your own. It depends on what bothers you. Some people don't let minor annoyances get in the way of their diving, and others want everything to be "just so." By way of lame analogy, I don't let the fact that a rental car drives like crap get in the way of my vacation, even though I would prefer to drive the nice, well maintained car I do at home. Granted, even the crappiest rattletrap rental car is unlikely to be so unsafe as to endanger my life, but I will assert with some confidence that neither is the vast majority of rental scuba gear. If you can afford to buy a set of your own, go for it. But no cause to fear rental gear quite so much.

I take the valve off and place clear tape over the opening and place the tank in my CHECKED lugagge. The inside of the tank must be accessible for inspection (I get a note every time that my luggage was opened and examined when traveling with my dive gear.). Upon arrival at the dive location, I have the tank filled with air. I tyically dive Nitrox in my other tank. Remeber, my pony is a bailout and means I am going up if I am using it.

I do not count on my insta-buddy's air.

So your a new diver fresh out of OW ?
Go have fun and RENT YOUR REG, BCD,and just do reef dives above 60', you will have fun and can decide on gear later after you have acquired more knowledge of the sport and knowledge of the gear used . Weights are usually supplied on a belt from mexican dive shops for free. You will need a Mask,snorkel [you were taught to have one when you dive] Fins, and a wetsuit if you wish but the water is warm on the Yucatan peninsula but most wear a 3mil shorty and when i was there in april some of the locals would wear a full suit 3mil and claim they were cold on the ride back in to the beach in 85 air temp and 80water temp. I was plenty warm in my 3mil shorty and if you want to buy something buy a shorty wetsuit that fits before you go . Doesn't have to be fancy, sports authority or someplace like it will sell a Body Glove brand or similar for about 70bucks, get you one that fits nice and you won't have to rent one thats been pissed in every time someone rented and dove it. Yes now that i think about it a wetsuit is exactly what i would take along with my mask ,fins ,and snorkel.. rent the rest …have fun and give us a report when you get back.

Back
Top Bottom