Today is the day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyTop

Registered
Reaction score
I start my OW class today. I cant wait to get started. I am glad I found this board when I did as well. I have learned a lot from the posts here.

I have been working on the mask flooding exercise and was finally able to do it last weekend. Cant say that im an expert at it yet, but at least I know I can do it.

Hi RockyTop, welcome to the board! The members and the information on this board are a great resource. But the key to developing good skills is to work with a good instructor and lots of practice. Sounds like you're doing great so far!

Good luck Rocky!

SS

Rocky, I had trouble with mask clearing when i was going through OW certification too. A tip that helped me------I took the mask into the shower and praticed with the water on there! It got me to the point that I was at ease with that skill and came through without a hitch. Just thought I pass it on.
Don

Another trick when doing the mask clearing is, look down slightly so water does not get up your nose, and remove the mask slowly. I know in 52f water, the cold water hitting the face can shock so bad it will stop your breathing. Doing things slowly gives you time to adjust and think. SCUBA is not a race to see who is the fastest at anything.

RockyTop:
I start my OW class today. I cant wait to get started. I am glad I found this board when I did as well. I have learned a lot from the posts here.

I have been working on the mask flooding exercise and was finally able to do it last weekend. Cant say that im an expert at it yet, but at least I know I can do it.

RockyTop,

You will do fine. I have found that the students that are motivated to complete the skill will complete the skill. Another person said SCUBA is not about you finishes first. that is true. SCUBA is about who makes to the surface safely and goes again another day to explore.

Stay motivated and you will always enjoy diving.

TT

Hi Rocky,

Make sure (especially if diving in cold water) to wet your face to aclimatize the face to the water temp. It makes mask clearing 1000% easier than when you pour freezing water inside a mask that has a warm dry face inside.

m2c

Well, I just completed the confined water portion of the class. I didnt have any trouble with any of the skills. I was actually suprised how easy they turned out to be.

As for taking the mask off and putting it back on, it is about 1000 times easier using a regulator. Even if you have trouble when practicing with a snorkel, chances are you can complete it with the reg.

We had a very good instructor and everyone in the class did a good job. Everybody completed their skills without in real problems.

Now it is on to the open water portion of the class. I will be doing my checkout dives on July 10 and 11.

Almost there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom