Tool advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 2# mallet and failing that, a VISA card

Will fix most anything.

Make like a real diver and get rusty vice grip pliers.. And allen wrenches and the other important tool is an intermediate pressure gauge.. That is a very important tool if you are going to mess with your gear.

You don't need to get them rusty, just use some brand new shiny ones for a while and the rust will find them.
A +1 on the IP gauge.

The alternative is to find a buddy that carries tools.

Bob

it all depends - are you just worried about initial assembly? or do you also want to perform equipment rebuilds in the field? do you want to be fully equipt to handle any emergency? or do you just want to be able to mcgyver common issues?

initial assembly can be handle via common bench tools - no need to worry about salt exposure.

My general advice for new divers to to have no tools. Wait until you have gained a full understanding of how the gear works before you start screwing with it. I have seen too many people trying to service equipment that was not broken, until after they fiddled with it.

And it also depends upon "where" / "who" you dive with. Full service dive ops will have access to tools and parts and trained (?) techs. I still carry no tools other than my dive knife.

It really depends what you're going to do and where. If you're not servicing your own regs, but rather stuff like taking apart a console, swapping hoses, fixing or macgyvering something - basic tools you likely have around the house are probably enough for anything you need to do. If you need something else, get it when you find need it.

If you're not at home, an allen wrench for port plugs, screwdrivers to fit any screws on your gear, a crescent wrench, and maybe needlenose pliers will get you a long way. Small scissors are also useful if you don't already carry EMT shears. If you are local diving I think it's worth having that stuff with you. If you are flying someplace to dive and want to lighten your bag, think about where you're going and if you really need it. It's a rare dive shop that won't have stuff you can borrow, and on a liveaboard should be no problem. OTOH it is more convenient to have your own at hand. And I find day boats tend not to have much if anything for tools, so if you carry tools you're bound to use them or more likely loan them to someone occasionally. (Do note that whatever you leave home because you haven't used it in years, will be exactly what you need as soon as you ditch it.)

What I use way more than tools is consumable supplies like zipties, doublesided velcro, cords, bungie cord, and assorted hardware like snap hooks, cord locks, and rings. Also electrical tape and duct tape. (My husband fixed his camera on a recent trip with electrical tape, an old lanyard, and a plastic coffee stirrer.)

Last edited:
Take all those useful crescent wrenches and use them to weigh down your garbage can. They're really useful for scratching the chrome on your reg and boogering up the nuts.

Get a set of allen wrenche and a set of thin open-ended wrenches. They're called "bicycle wrenches" I think, and are used to fit into skinny places - like where second stages connect to hoses. About $35 on amazon for both metric and SAE - cheap, cheaply made, and not particularly durable, but purpose made.

I went to my dentist-friend and scored a couple of dental picks instead of the brass o-ring picks, which are too soft and fragile. Danger Will Robinson, dental picks are hard.

That advice about zip ties etc. is good. I add to it a roll of black athletic tape.

And then curse those mfgrs who require the use of non-standard tools (looking at you Scubapro - $100 for that goofy tool to fit the nut on the hose!!!).

Take all those useful crescent wrenches and use them to weigh down your garbage can. They're really useful for scratching the chrome on your reg and boogering up the nuts.

Get a set of allen wrenche and a set of thin open-ended wrenches. They're called "bicycle wrenches" I think, and are used to fit into skinny places - like where second stages connect to hoses.

This. I still have a decent set of these made by Craftsman from back when I spent more time fiddling with a British V12 than I spent driving, and they are invaluable little tools. I think the extra few dollars for the more durable flavor are more than worth it, but rest assured that enough salt air exposure will spot even the nicest ones with rust...so I wouldn't buy anything too fancy. The sharp edges on adjustable wrenches are an annoying scratch/ding just waiting to happen.

That XS Scuba ninja star thing is really the only tool you should have until you really understand what you're doing. It's capable enough for someone to quickly tighten anything that needs tightening, etc. If it's not on there, it's probably not a problem you want to be "fixing" without the know how and proper tools designed for the job.

The most used tool in my case are

Hex keys (Allen wrenches) Normally used for removing tank inserts for my Din regs - it's amazing how many size variants there are. I have metric and imperial set
Cable ties
Gaffa tape.
I have a couple of diver tools that have thin spanners on then for hoses etc

I buy cheap tools as they go rusty very quickly in our hot humid climate (my expensive tools stay at home).

That lot pretty much takes care of most things if you thoroughly check you gear before going on a trip.

My box however is a pelican case - but then most of my diving is multi day trips off a boat so I carry lots of spares, like new hoses pressure, inflator hose, bov insets plugs for 1st stage, bungee, batteries, fin straps mask straps knife straps etc. Actually it carries a lot more but then we enter the "Save a dive kit" realm and best not to visit that topic here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom