Top three reasons to do your local diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Clear, warm water. Deco'ing in high-70s water is the best.
2). Endemic critters...from the little Hawaiian dascyllus (that always grunt when you get too close to their favorite antler coral) to the wonderful Potter's angelfish to Hawaiian monk seals. And I know they're not endemic here, but I truly have never seen such an abundance of Green sea turtles. Or eels. I've given up counting individual eels and instead count the species I see on any given dive. You just never know what you'll see.
3). Being serenaded by humpback whale song in season.
4). No soft corals, but lovely hard corals and amazing above/underwater volcanic formations...you feel like you can picture nature making the islands (and the sea slowly reclaiming them). Makes you feel very humble.
5). Incredible shore and boat diving. Great diving - it is indeed great, although learning to appreciate Hawaii's reef structure and critters can take a little time - is no more than an hour's drive away. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of the neighbor islands, but I guarantee you that diving near Ni'ihau will make even the modest jaded cynic feel as frisky as a puppy.

That's the good. I won't be able to consider Hawaii "local diving" for much longer, since we're in the process of moving back home to New York City. Although I'm delighted to be going back home, the diving there is very different. I don't take a massive amount of pleasure in Northeast diving, to be 100% honest: the water is cold, the currents can be strong, the visibility limited, the gear cumbersome, and the boating somewhat bumpy on occasions. I've only done it a handful of times, so maybe my feelings will change - I hope so, as I really want to love it. But right now, diving there is about the skill - the satisfaction of being able to plan and execute a dive safely and smoothly; getting a lot of practice with doubles and a reel (perfect for keeping cave skills sharp); and knowing that excursions to warm-water destinations will be extra-lovely after protracted periods of Northeast diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom