Torpedo Scooter Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome deal-and you'll notice when your exploring e.g. looking for sharks teeth, cruising a reef etc. anything over .5 mph is too fast. I usually end up pulsing the trigger(not Torpedo but whatever) even at the lowest speed when looking for stuff.

Thanks for the advice on the search techniques.

So heres a crazy question though. Has anyone ever slung a scooter under your arm similar to what tech divers would do with extra tanks? It may be a silly question but since the battery time is only 55 minutes I mainly want it for the trips out and back and a little moving around. The Torpedo is shaped similar to a tank (or a torpedo hence the name). While diving Venice I am usually down at least 1 1/2 hours and with scooter that will probably increase so if I used it all the time I would run out of battery long before teh end of the dive. I was just wondering if there was a way to attach it somewhere. It may be that it's just too bulky but I figured I would see if anyone has ever tried it.

Last edited:
Yes absolutely. Most of the technically oriented scooter have a D ring on the nose of the scooter for this very reason. I find that on many dives I use my scooter for less than half of the actual dive time. The rest of the time I use a doube ender to clip it off to my right chest D ring. The tow chord stays attached to the crotch D ring so going from clipped off to scootering takes about 10 seconds. This way the scooter sits in the water like a stage or deco bottle, except it's on the right. You hardly even feel that it's there.

From the pictures I see that you'd have to devise something for the torpedo as it doesn't have anywhere to attach a bolt snap or DE to the nose but I'm sure you can come up with something

Thanks Mattleycrue. I almost didn't ask because I thought it was way to big and bulky to be practical. I should be able to devise something to attach to two points on the side bar. You have been very helpful with all of this. Thank you.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about the customer service at Torpedo. I left a message with them and they called back in ten minutes! Alfred was very helpful, and I don't even own their product (yet). That alone would sway me in their direction. I don't now about the speed or performance but if you look at the "wacky races" tests, and compare the speed to cost ratio, they clearly win.
Good luck with your endeavor!
H

Had mine in the water today! What a freakin blast! 51-60 degree water temps, 5 foot vis, 75 air temp, sunny. I was under for an hour and 20 minutes and on the scooter about 80% of the time. it never missed a beat. Great tool. I covered more of the lake in that time than I had in 25 dives. Max depth 65-70 feet. I surfaced briefly a couple times to check position due to the poor vis and was really surprised to see how far I was from point to point using the scooter and how fast. I was not the least bit tired and out of 2800 psi in my double 85's I used a little over 1400 psi. That's about 1000 less than I would have used to even attempt to cover the same distance swimming.

Sounds like fun Jim. Was it tough to "swim it" when you weren't using it or did you attach it to yourself somehow? I'm a little concerned that the batteries on the one I bought haven't been stored properly so thay may not be at 100%. I did hang mine over the edge of the pool yesterday and fired it up. It seems to have plenty of power.

It was not hard to swim around at all. It is only 1lb neg so it was not much different weight wise than a big hand held light. The length could be an issue in some places but it is balanced pretty good. I had no trouble just grabbing a handle and moving it around. I will though be rigging up a tow line and I'm going to set it up with a harness like my stage bottles to clip it off. I did not take the 40 with me but I could not see a problem with carrying it and slinging the scooter like two stages if I do it correctly. And for the time it would most likely be slung like that it would not be an issue. And I think if I set it up like a stage I could always clip off one end and let the back trail like an empty stage and it would be out of the way. Don;t know if that would be good for close to the bottom swimming but going up a line or well up from the reef it should be ok. The nice thing is I can experiment with it and not have to physically alter the scooter body itself. Just fasten some line onto the handles.

One other thing that I really liked and did not expect was how narrow a cone the thrust was. It does go straight back. I could feel it against my body but even skimming the bottom a foot or so above it did not mess up the vis behind me like I thought it might. There were only 3 other divers there and I did want to experiment with it and not screw up their dives so I took it out over some flats well away from the area they were in and just ran it. Except for a couple times when a rock loomed up and I had to do a quick upward and did direct some of the blast down it did not screw up the vis by stirring the silt up at all. Those trimes when I did it was quick and a nice cloud did form but again not any more than a diver using a flutter kick that close would do. In fact it was probably less since a diver would have been continuously kicking and messing it up. Overall first impressions is I like it and will be getting a lot of use out of it. Once it is all set up the way I want and I get to really use it more I may start writing a course to teach and get another one to use for students!

Thanks Jim. I might be able to get out and play with mine next weekend. I would love to see an example of your harness once you get it rigged up. I suspect I will be wanting to do something similar with mine and would love some guidence. Thanks again for the review.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom