Toxicity Inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coopladoop

Registered
Reaction score
Good day all,

Bit of a seemingly obvious question here.

Been doing some work on the jobsite recently, and after a few days of being topside needed to hit the water to clear some debris along the oceanfloor.

We had noticed, over the past few days, a vast influx of floating seaweed(moss? Not sure the proper name for these) into the marina, of sufficient volume that I've no doubt its dry weight could be measured in tons. It appears to have been partially cleared by marina staff, and the remainder has lost buoyancy and sunk to the bottom.

At any rate, suffice it to say the water is quite blackened, with small dead fish regularly to be seen in what still remains floating at the top. Thinking it would be bad, but not overly hazardous, I hopped in none the wiser and was immediately struck by several things.

1) I could "smell" the... putrefaction? immediately, through my air supply and all. I wear a full face Ocean Reef mask, and though I've some stubble that might fuss with a seal, there is no substantial leaking during normal operation to speak of.

2) Creatures I hadn't even know lived in this biome lay, still and dead, as if frozen in time. The fields of jellyfish that usually covered the bottom were nowhere to be seen. Crabs, more than I've ever seen in a single area, of greatly varying size lay locked in death poses as far as the eye could see. One crab, about the size of my palm and probably occupying the better part of a foot long ruler from pincer to pincer- looked as if, in his final moments he had raised both claws in defiance to the dark destruction that snuffed out his existence. Worms, nearly two finger widths in diameter and twice as long were sprawled up and out of their holes, motionless and gently swaying in the current.

So.

What I want to ask this forum is not for opinions on whether this water is safe to swim in. Decay and rot on this scale leads me to believe with certainty it is not.

But instead, seeing as it is my lunch break and for the second half of the day I will be back in the water- what is the worst a human can "pick up" from this stuff? Contract, become infected by, etc.

Is it a disease, a symptom, a common cold?

I have a small cut that is scabbed over on my knee, and smaller injuries that are in various states of healing, most of which are further sealed than the above- is there a legitimate and substantial chance for viral/bacterial ingress to my body through such?

If swimming in this muck cannot be avoided, what can be done to counter any possible substances in the water?

Thanks for reading, all.

Have a great day,

-A

Pics included to show moss field, water colour,
20180427_120040.jpg
20180427_120017.jpg
20180427_125738.jpg
and contrast of contaminated marina water with the ocean at the mouth of the channel(usually there is no real clear distinction).

To clarify, visibility such that the bottom is visible(~15ft), is the norm here.

Diving in unknown contaminated water makes me nervous. Not so much for the moss mass that blew in, but the pathogens from the harbor itself which might be thriving now.

Drysuit, dry hood and your FFM mask would be ideal. Risk factors of unknown muck diving with open wounds seem too unpredictable.

That said, I've dove wetsuit, regular mask/reg in raw sewage and suffered no ill affects. (Didn't know what I was diving in until later.)

Regards,
Cameron

Looks like Sargassum to me. We were in Belize in March and a ton of it was washing up on shore smell was the only thing that affected us. It seemed to suck the oxygen out of the water and the fish that were trapped in it suffocated.

Limit exposure?
Cover larger/deeper wounds with Tegaderm type of waterproof dressing?
Shower with Hibiclens as soon as possible after?

Just say no?

Last edited:
is that Pillsbury Sound?

It could be low oxygen levels, sometimes caused by fertilizer blooms. That will kill off any sea life that can't migrate out of the area quickly enough. In which case it wouldn't hurt you.

It could equally be a "red tide" or other toxins in an algae bloom or similar, in which case there could still be toxins in the water and skin contact might be an absorption path. (I don't know.)

Best bet? Are you in a city or county where there's a public health service? An environmental agency? A university with biochem labs? Call them up and ask about getting the water tested, find out for sure.

Antifreeze also looks and tastes real fine...doesn't mean it is safe to drink.

check this topic I'll never complain about poor vis again

I also had dives in "non standard environment", like acid lakes :) But there was a reason - very nice underwater views. And (not my friends, just me) used Full Face Mask and dry suit...

No idea, what target could be for diving there... you have it?

I try to follow one important rule - every dive should have a goal !
It could be getting pleasure and taking photos, sport training, equipment test... what is the target to dive to smeeeelllly water?

Back
Top Bottom