Toxicity Inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving in unknown contaminated water makes me nervous. Not so much for the moss mass that blew in, but the pathogens from the harbor itself which might be thriving now.

Drysuit, dry hood and your FFM mask would be ideal. Risk factors of unknown muck diving with open wounds seem too unpredictable.

That said, I've dove wetsuit, regular mask/reg in raw sewage and suffered no ill affects. (Didn't know what I was diving in until later.)

Regards,
Cameron

Cheers Cameron.

May I ask how the full version of that story went down, that sounds like a tale and a half!

-A

Looks like Sargassum to me. We were in Belize in March and a ton of it was washing up on shore smell was the only thing that affected us. It seemed to suck the oxygen out of the water and the fish that were trapped in it suffocated.

Ah yes, that would explain the death. Bloody smelly stuff indeed.

Cheers mate,

-A

Limit exposure?
Cover larger/deeper wounds with Tegaderm type of waterproof dressing?
Shower with Hibiclens as soon as possible after?

Just say no?

We decided to go with that last one, hah!

Not worth the risk, and all that. Plus some job delays.

Cheers,

-A

It could be low oxygen levels, sometimes caused by fertilizer blooms. That will kill off any sea life that can't migrate out of the area quickly enough. In which case it wouldn't hurt you.

It could equally be a "red tide" or other toxins in an algae bloom or similar, in which case there could still be toxins in the water and skin contact might be an absorption path. (I don't know.)

Best bet? Are you in a city or county where there's a public health service? An environmental agency? A university with biochem labs? Call them up and ask about getting the water tested, find out for sure.

Antifreeze also looks and tastes real fine...doesn't mean it is safe to drink.

Well said reply, thank you for that.

Unfortunately I'm not certain that any group will be out doing testing of the sort. Where I live this sort of thing is somewhat seasonal, and though alarming in concentration- I do not think many persons will mobilize to perform any sort of studies or testing.

What we were most curious about was what happens next, the processes the deceased oceanlife begin to go through(decay? rot?).

Cheers,

-A

Very good eye Mrs.B. It is indeed.

You are familiar with the area?

I lived there for eight years, and my last residence was Saphire Beach. I used to wind surf from there to St John, so I have a lot of time to size it up :wink:

I might be coming back for my Master's practicum (my old professor is there doing a study)

if my program won't aprove the camp in Jordan

I was in Tortola a couple years ago, not much has changed

Last edited:
check this topic I'll never complain about poor vis again

I also had dives in "non standard environment", like acid lakes :) But there was a reason - very nice underwater views. And (not my friends, just me) used Full Face Mask and dry suit...

No idea, what target could be for diving there... you have it?

I try to follow one important rule - every dive should have a goal !
It could be getting pleasure and taking photos, sport training, equipment test... what is the target to dive to smeeeelllly water?
Heh, fair enough.

Mine is work!

We're tackling some business, but had to put things on hold for a time at any rate, so that crisis is temporarily averted. Hoping the moss will bugger off now!

Attachments

• 20180427_133929[1].jpg
    20180427_133929[1].jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 30
I lived there for eight years, and my last residence was Saphire Beach. I used to wind surf from there to St John, so I have a lot of time to size it up :wink:

I might be coming back for my Master's practicum (my old professor is there doing a study)

if my program won't aprove the camp in Jordan

I was in Tortola a couple years ago, not much has changed

Huh. Well met, then.

I take it you're familiar with the mounds of moss that washes up on the beach by the jetty then?

We're doing some work in the marina, and it's quite the sight I have to say.

Best of luck with the program, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom