Training on the calendar! Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your listed dive count is accurate I'd be in the water every chance I get. You need realistic diving at your current level if you plan to do well at advanced levels.

i cannot understand how you are going into the cave with $25k worth of gear. filming maybe? my equipment wish list, even with $1500 light and new computer is only a little over $5k. you must have some cool stuff!

yes, i'll be looking to get wet a few more times this next month before the training. I'll post about my experience when I get back in August.

i cannot understand how you are going into the cave with $25k worth of gear. filming maybe? my equipment wish list, even with $1500 light and new computer is only a little over $5k. you must have some cool stuff!

yes, i'll be looking to get wet a few more times this next month before the training. I'll post about my experience when I get back in August.

Training 1.5K
Harness/wing/plate/fins/mask/reels/ $800
Doubles and manifold 1K
Stages and Regs 2K
Drysuit/undergarments 3K
Lights 1.5K
Two mixed gas computer 3K
Scooter 4K

That's just right off the top of my head and that's just the gear you are diving. O2 analyzers, spare sets of doubles, backup dry suit, parts to make a decent save a dive kit. Yeah 5K scratches the surface.

wow.

I'm not counting training into my equipment costs, I will be renting tanks, will not be using stages or a scooter for a while, not using a drysuit yet, and my computers are way cheaper. all that stuff sounds great for the future though! Looking forward to it someday.

wow.

I'm not counting training into my equipment costs, I will be renting tanks, will not be using stages or a scooter for a while, not using a drysuit yet, and my computers are way cheaper. all that stuff sounds great for the future though! Looking forward to it someday.

Most tech divers own their own equipment. This isn't "rental equipment diving" anymore.

You will want a drysuit if you plan on doing dives beyond intro/basic. Some folks still dive 7mm suits for long dives but you will likely be cold.

Recreational computers won't cut it anymore if you are relying on them for deco.

You will need a deco bottle and reg for Cave.

You will not want to settle for the "cheapest option" for overhead diving.

Everything you thought you knew about diving is going to change when you go see Edd and start training.

I too am interested in your report. I imagine it's going to be quite an eye opener :)

Good luck.

Good choice.

The average diver isn't active for very long.

Training 1.5K
Doubles and manifold 1K
Stages and Regs 2K
Drysuit/undergarments 3K]
Lights 1.5K
Scooter 4K

That's just right off the top of my head and that's just the gear you are diving. O2 analyzers, spare sets of doubles, backup dry suit, parts to make a decent save a dive kit. Yeah 5K scratches the surface.

wow.

You are not supposed to take a scooter into a cave until you have 50 cave dives after full cave certification. Many full cave divers never touch a scooter.
Many cave divers do not use dry suits. It depends upon where you do your diving.
You do not need stages until you have gotten quite a bit of experience.
You can get two top of the line mixed gas computers brand new for a little over half the price you quote.

Diving of this kind is not cheap, but let's not exaggerate.

I tallied up the cost of the gear for every cave dive. I enter the water with close to $25,000 worth of gear.

Oh I know. I've been using rental gear because of some advice about putting off my purchases until I really knew what I wanted to do. So, I'll be buying much of my gear finally, from CA. It also helps that I'm a scientist with grants for such things.

I'm looking for the manuals I should read before starting the cave and SM training. Anyone know what those manuals are?

Also, $25k!? Rebreather?

Training 1.5K
Doubles and manifold 1K
Stages and Regs 2K
Drysuit/undergarments 3K
Lights 1.5K
Scooter 4K

Diving of this kind is not cheap, but let's not exaggerate.

I replied to how one could carry ~25K into a cave I didn't state it would cost the OP ~25k. His 5K estimate however is pretty low.

RIF.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom