Training on the calendar! Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good choice.

The average diver isn't active for very long.

I know you began your replies in an effort to contribute, but now I think you're being rude, and unhelpful. My apologies if I've misinterpreted your intention.

I know you began your replies in an effort to contribute, but now I think you're being rude, and unhelpful. My apologies if I've misinterpreted your intention.

My intent was to show you that based on your dive experience and lack of equipment you were woefully under prepared to spend a pantload of money on three advanced classes with a great instructor only to ultimately not pass or not continue diving once the reality of technical diving struck home. You are free of course to take that as you see fit but I don't feel as if I was rude.

I am not sure that isn't his intent. He is accurate though. Most people don't stay active in diving long,and even cave diving-roughly 2-3 years. I have seen so many people come and go,which I guess makes me an oddity for being active so long,but my cave diving takes on more research/scientific aspects for data collection.
Keep your enthusiasm,which sounds great,but get as much diving in as possible,even if it is OW oriented,this will make a huge difference. Gear will cost you a fortune,but you can spread it out over time-most importantly don't go low low budget, you life depends on your gear.

syntaxerrorsix, I suppose that's between my instructor and myself. I hope you're wrong of course, but I wouldn't have chosen the instructor I did if I thought he would hand me a pass without being certain that I was ready. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

I can guarantee that if your buoyancy and trim is not spot on you will not pass any class with Edd. He expects you to have your stuff together before you come. He does not make his classes easy.

I completed overhead side mount with Edd today. He does not disappoint. You will get smoked. Great class. Loving side mount much more than diving back mounted. Stand by to spend money, depending on what you already own. I haven't spent nearly $25k on tech diving gear. With instruction it's is well past $10k though.

If your profile is current imagine you can use your mask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think many of the posters are concerned you are trying to run before you can walk. If your profile is correct, you have 16 dives. Of those 16 dives, 13 have been training dives (OW, AOW, PADI cavern). Now, you are about to embark on even more training, that may well be far too advanced for someone of experience level, in a completely new and unfamiliar kit configuration. If I were you, I'd take just the sidemount course with Edd. Go away and bash out as many dives as it takes to you to get completely comfortable in it, be able to hang motionless, have absolute control of your buoyancy and trim, be able to frog, flutter, modified frog and flutter, helicopter turn and back fin without issue. Then go back and do cavern and intro cave. If you can't do any of the above, you don't belong in a cave, sorry.

To take cave in gear you never practiced in before is just asking for all kinds of trouble. Caves are very unforgiving when it comes to mistakes. Make the wrong mistake and don't deal with it properly and there is a good chance of you coming out injured or very much dead. There is no running to the surface at the first sign of trouble. You have to fix what is going on right there in that moment.

Right, well, aside from turning back and abandoning my plans entirely, would anyone like to offer more tips about how to prepare for the training or what to think about going in? This was my question, and I'm still interested in hearing suggestions.

get solid in the water. practice buoyancy, hovering, skills while neutral and in trim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom