Training on the calendar! Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea why my words inspire such vitriol from you. I have never intended to demean you in any way, and there is nothing that I've said that would warrant the tone that you've consistently used on this thread. I'm sure your skills are great, and I acknowledge that I'm a novice on this topic. I would bet that I know a few things that you don't on some topics too. So what!? You are killing the fun of this forum for me. I don't know what your issue is, but it's not mine, so please keep it to yourself.

I'm simply witnessing the decline in training and standards. It's nothing personal.

You can take that up with Edd.

Please do me one kindness and stop posting in this thread. I think you owe me that.

Fair enough.

Most people who go from zero to hero cannot dive well. It's very hard to find one who can. Fin marksy, hand prints, scuff marks, ect, are the calling card of those type of divers. Should crap go to hell the they have to revert back to the only poor training they know unless the get intercepted by a mentor who knows what they are doing. These are the divers who are trashing the caves and we have poor instructors to thank for that. Cave diving is the next diving fad and cool thing to do so people don't care about conservation for the most part

While I think that 25 dives is a small number to start with, there are definitely divers with that many that have decent control/natural skill. They are the exception, but hopefully those that want to go out and seek further training are better than average to begin with.

Having said that, I've got less than 100 dives (like 48 hours bottom time last I checked), and finished my intro and cavern a bit over a month ago. While the introduction of side mount right before the class could have caused complications, it sounds like it didn't for you.

When I hear about the zero to hero it's always talking about cavern-full cave in a week, or something similar. While I'll agree going OW training dives->intro to cave can be bad, I don't think spending 6 days to get up to solid intro to cave level is a bad thing. It also doesn't seem nearly as bad as going from OW-full cave in that time.

Cavern sort of seems like a glorified stepping stone anyway, as the same skills seem stressed in each (with a bit more going on in intro).

More power to you OP if you are enjoying it. It sounds like you and Edd would have been able to step in and really addressed it. That type of honesty is important in a course, and it's a discussion I had with my instructor (well one he had at the beginning of the class I guess). If the instructor is willing to fail a student if they cannot complete the standards then I think there is no problem with being excited to get into a new aspect of the sport.

At any rate, welcome to a fun community. I find it's sometimes better to observe and offer small comments. There is much to learn, and I know I pick up something new every time I talk to a new cave diver (new to me that is). It seems that outing your experience can be a detriment, but I personally see no problem with it if you are looking to grow and expand.

Having said all that, don't go in over your head! Take it slow and dive new sites with someone that knows them! Your Sac rate will improve as you are more comfortable at sites, and each time you'll see something new. Personally I'm hoping to do advanced nitrox and deco procedures in the mean time and come back in a year or two to finish out cave.

Safe diving!

I don't think getting through intro in 6 days is that big of a deal. I took overhead side mount from Edd after I had achieved full cave, and my being full cave did a whole lot toward eliminating a lot of the overhead sidemount curriculum. Much of that curriculum overlaps early cave instruction. While it is technically true that there were three classes, in reality it was just two with a little time spent introducing side mount.

If you think this is an example of how standards have slipped, I strongly suggest that you take that up with Edd personally. Sit down at the table at the end of the room, under the row of plaques honoring him as instructor of the year, man of the year, etc. I didn't count how many there are. Make sure you tell him what a sorry POS he is as an instructor. He will no doubt be happy to have your input.

Edd Sorenson has gone through several cave instructor pipelines and has been vetted by several cave instructor trainers.

If Edd thinks the OP is ready, then he is ready. Far be it from me or any of the rest of you to state otherwise unless you have swam a mile in his fins in a cave. :no:

And it is entirely possible that having very few dives the OP had little to unlearn in the way of bad habits.

And this thread is a fine example of a contributing factor to why I took a break from the cave diving community..

The guy is interested in cave diving. He gets some training from one of the toughest and most thorough instructors around. Guy is excited about it and wants to share his enthusiasm. A few people beat him up until he leaves.

You guys are great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom