Transpac II or Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhspb

Contributor
Reaction score
Columbus, Ohio (home of at least a few Wolverines)
After sifting through several other excellent threads and listening to your input on my Ranger questions last week could you offer insights you may have on choosing between a Ranger and a Transpac II with a trek wing and integrated weights?

While I think the Ranger would satisfy my demands especially if I do no more than push the upper limits of rec diving. If that is my intended range of diving, longer term (3-4 years) would I misjudge if I considered a Transpac II? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of Transpac v Ranger?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

:)

I am afraid I cannot offer you any arguments over which is better, all I can do is endorse the Transpac2. I have one, I am probably one of the few divers in the UK that does (specially whin my group). I love it, it's comfortable, light, dry's nice n quick (I live in a flat - drying time is important to me!) and that's it really.
I'll be honest though, the one problem I did have with it was that I wanted to use the SS Backplate that came with the one size fits all harness and the holes won't line up so I had to purchase the stabilising bars. In fact come to think of it I had a hard time making the TP2 holes and the wing holes line up - !?
Personally though, I love mine.

I was looking at pricing a Ranger but then learned about the Sea-Quests Raider. I thought they looked and sounded about the same till I saw them side by side. The Raider was way better, had more adjustment Points had a 50 lbs lift and will hold 42 lbs of weight. My LDS had it priced at 650 the ranger at 475. I bought the Raider because once I checked them out in person It was like night and day between them.

Best of luck,
GD

jhspb,

If you intend to advance on to the "upper limits of rec. diving" then do yourself a favor and at the same time save some money and get a BP/wing. Sooner or later you will.
You can get wings from 17lb of lift all the way to 100lbs of lift.

Geekdiver,

How could any BC have any more adjustments than the Ranger?
And in rec diving why would you need 50lbs of lift from a Jacket style BC?

Just my thoughts

ID

I thought the SeaQuest Raider was REAL bulky when I saw one in a store compared to my Ranger actually, but I'm not saying it's a bad BC though because I haven't tried one. If you are getting into tech diving you'll find the majority of Tech divers recommend the BP/Wings set-up over any BC out there as Iguana Don stated.
I dive a Ranger and like it just fine for rec diving as that's all I do at this point being a pretty new diver. You'll find varying opinions on both the Transpac and Ranger. Not more than 6 months ago the majority of board members were praising the Rangers and Transpacs. Lately they've been ripped on a lot primarily by BP/Wings users. Bottom line... you need to try before you buy if you can, or at least try one on in a store before you decide. Don't buy your BC on recommendations alone. That said, as far as a BP/Wing set-up goes...good luck finding one in an LDS, I've yet to see one.

Iguana Don

The Raider has bolts in the harness as well as the sides with 3 gromets ea to adjust. The harness has swivels for added comfort as well as lumbar pad. It felt more comfy to me than the Ranger. Yes it does have has more bulk then the ranger but I just liked it better. My first thought was to get a Ranger but I just like the Raider better. It was about $175 more for the Raider but I liked the features for it better than than the Ranger. As far as Lift I can't answer that one yet but let me ask. Why would anyone need the Rangers Optional 65 lb lift blader?

Best regards
GD

Neither.

Buy a BP/wing setup. It's infinitely adjustable and configurable, inexpensive, arguably the most comfortable system underwater, simple, and small. Highly effective.

Just because your local LDS doesn't sell BP/wings systems doesn't mean you shouldn't get one anyway -- I doubt that many of Minnesota's car dealerships sell the car I own, but that doesn't mean I didn't get the right car for me.

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Neither.

Buy a BP/wing setup. It's infinitely adjustable and configurable, inexpensive, arguably the most comfortable system underwater, simple, and small. Highly effective.

Just because your local LDS doesn't sell BP/wings systems doesn't mean you shouldn't get one anyway -- I doubt that many of Minnesota's car dealerships sell the car I own, but that doesn't mean I didn't get the right car for me.

- Warren
Lighten up man, I'm just saying I wouldn't buy any life support gear without at least being able to try it on and that's my choice. The fact of the matter is there weren't any shops that I found with a BP/Wing to try on so I didn't consider it. If there is one piece of gear I'd never buy online it's a BC because fit is too important.

Consider a BP/wing. I am strictly rec diver and love mine. As far as fit one size fits all, you just have to make adjustments in the harness. You can get one online from extreme exposure. From listening to others that have ordered from them, they are supposed to have a 30 day money back trial period, you just pay shipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom