Transpac II

Winged BCD or Back inflated? **whats your pick**

• Winged BCD

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Back inflated BCD

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is where the difference of opinion comes into play. It was nice to hear leadweights side of it and now i wil point out my experiences. Im gonna try to answer things in the same general outline following leadweights responses.

I absolutely hate slide fasteners as they always seem to loosen up on me during the dive.I have also seen one break on a dive boat and in the parking lot at monterey from a tank being accidently set on them.They were not TPII bc's but the same type slide fastener/clip. A little duct tape and a few zip ties later they were ready to dive again but not happy campers. So there is definitely a failure point there that is not present on a bp. I have also served several years in the good ol army infantry and have seen plenty of those style clips break.But then again i have seen some of these style clips take some serious abuse and not break. They are more of a convenience than a necessity. Yes it is a failure point......not a life threatening failure point for the average diver unless you are way back inside of a cave or doing long deco time then it may be more serious. That excludes the majority of us.

I took my rescue class in a Scubapro knighthawk. The rescuers in my class had an easier time with the guys in bp's due to the fact there was only one buckle to undo and they slid easily out of the harness. My setup at the time consisted of a velcro cumberband, a buckle on top of that and a sternum strap plus the shoulder release buckles. On the plus side if they cut you out of your bp it is very cheap and easy to replace the harness on a BP compared to any other bc if you decide to pursue diving later in the future after being rescued.

A bp with limited exposure protection may not be as comfy on land as a TPII but that all disappears as soon as you hit the water if it is properly adjusted. I try to spend as little time on land as possible lugging any bc on my back.

For me a bp was easily adjusted on dry land with no need to enter and exit the water several times. There are a few good sites on setting up a bp. I can easily adjust my bp in a matter of minutes for differing exposure protection. The key is to know how to adjust it properly.

I have dove my setup in some local lakes with no shirt and like i said it can be uncomfortable on land but what bc isnt and goes away once you hit the water. If the harness is too tight it will chafe you. If the BP is digging into your lower back it is not adjusted properly or if your below average height you may need a shorter BP. I personally dont have this problem.Once again refer to the appropriate sites or have someone who knows how to adust a bp help you.

A bp would not be a wise choice for the once a year warm water diver. They are better off with bc's that have all the gadgets to help them along as they are probably rather poor divers anyhow since they only dive once a year. There is no way to maintain good diving skills that way.

Despite what leadweight says if a bc has padding it has inherit added buoyancy meaning you need more weight to counteract that.

As far as the pioneer wing being easily damaged it is pretty tough.The single layer bladder design is what helps keep it streamlined. But if abused of course it can be puctured and patched although halcyon doesnt recommend patching it your self.

I have used my BP for local warm water lake diving and cold water ocean diving. For me it does everything i want it too. It holds all of my accessories in a extemely streamlined matter which is very important when diving cold water with a drysuit.....less drag the better with a trilam drysuit.

Like i said i had a buddy get rid of his TPII for a bp and is very happy with it. I sold my knighthawk and purchased a bp. The knighthawk is a good bc but to me just doesnt compare to a BP.

Here you have two totally differing opinions from personal experiences on both sides. I would personally not waste my money on a TPII and im sure leadweight feels the same about a BP setup. So now its your choice to decide which better serves your purpose and budget.

leadweight once bubbled...
Frankly, I believe one of the real advantages that a TP2 has over a Hog rigged BP is the adjustable harness and slide fasteners.

After many dives on many dive boats I have yet to see a slide fastener break. I suspect that there may be a demo broken slide fastener that gets shown around by some instructors interested in making a point. Perhaps they have some termite infested wood they also carry around.

The term "failure point" is nothing more than the language of fear. At least one member of this board reported that in a technical diving class he was instructed to release one slide fastener and swim around. He said he was able to do that without any trouble.

On the other hand, the lack of these fasteners can make getting out of the rig in choppy water behind a boat to be seriously difficult and can be a real complication in a rescue. Cut the continuous harness, fine. It is just another problem that has to be solved when there is no time to mess around. One very skilled technical diver that had trained under Tom Mount himself told me that the continuous harness was strictly a cave diving setup becuause gear would be stripped from an injured cave diver after the diver was brought to shore at the cave exit. He opined it would be too difficult to remove the harness from an injured diver in open water, even by cutting. By the way this particular diver owned several BP's that he used only with doubles. For single tanks he used a Seaquest Balance for its greater comfort and convenience. This is just one of the reasons why I think BP's are not the best way to do singles. My other reasons are based on personal experience with both the BP and TP2 which has been validated by the opinions of Netdoc and Rick Murchison, both regulators of this board.

Adjustable straps means adjustable in the water. Some members of this board claim they were able to adjust their first BP in only a few minutes. To that I must say they were either talented or lucky. Let me put it this way. The BP needs to be adjusted in a shore diving enviornment where repeated entries and exits to the water can be done with minimal stress. If you don't have it right it must be removed and adjusted and then try again. For the casual diver with his once a year trip to Grand Cayman or Coz, this just does not work.

As far as the cold water for BP things goes, the straps on a BP are made from stiff weight belt webbing. Without at least a 3 mil they will chafe many people. A few divers have had problems with the plate digging into their lower back. Needless to say, some divers claim to be comfortable in a BP wearing only a t-shirt. Not me.

Many members of this board recommend the BP for all divers under all conditions. The very notion that a single BC which was designed to efficiently mount manifolded doubles and further refined to meet the needs of cave divers would be the best solution for all divers is absurd on its face. The BP has to be the most oversold piece of dive gear that has ever existed.

The BP can be adapted to single tanks, but it was designed by hammering aluminum around a set of doubles. Consequently the single tank is too far away from the diver's back to have an optimum mounting. Depending on whether the tank is positively or negatively bouyant there is a leverage effect.

Finally, there is not a wide seletion of wings available to mount singles on a BP. Many divers have reported that the Pioneer series wings are easily damaged and not easily repaired due to their single layer construction.

There are further issues regarding stainless steel BP's. They may be just right for some applications and too heavy for others. No problem, just buy a few of them. GI3 says he has four. Another reson multiple BP's are required goes back to the difficulty of changing the adjustment when switching through various exposure suits. Some around here will say they can do that in minutes. Again, lucky or talented?

So, my TP2 holds my tank securely, adjusts instantly, can be removed instantly in any water conditions, has no inherent positive or negative bouyancy, will not slide around without an uncomfortable crotch strap, packs small, will not chafe my arms even withut no exposure suit and so forth.

Use the right tool for the job and don't fool yourself into thinking you have some kind of swiss army knife that can be used to build a suspension bridge.

:boom: :boom: :boom:

lal7176 once bubbled...

I took my rescue class in a Scubapro knighthawk. The rescuers in my class had an easier time with the guys in bp's due to the fact there was only one buckle to undo and they slid easily out of the harness.

When i took my rescue course someone had a jacket BCD without clips on the shoulder straps and it was a pig, give rescue breath, ease shoulder strap over, give rescue breath, shoulder strap sneaks back to where it started, it took me ages just to get the first strap out of the way. The standard BCd were easy, give breath unclip, give breath unclip, give breath unclip, BCD sinks out of the way. On the B/P harnesses i have seen, the straps must be reasonably tight to work, it certianly deosn't look that easy to remove without cutting, or significantly moving the victim.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Now we're cooken!!!
I salute those peeps who contributed the last 9-10 posts... GREAT and VERY INFORMATIVE INFORMATION!!! I have learned much from those of you who have the TPII and those who have the BP w/wings.

lal7176 .... you’re for BP w/wings... tell me a few things...

I took my rescue class ………. The rescuers in my class had an easier time with the guys in bp's due to the fact there was only one buckle to undo and they slid easily out of the harness

As I understand the BP configuration there is a 2 inch webbing being one continious strap; first going through the top two shoulder slots, then forming the shoulder straps, then routed through the bottom two slots (both right and left sides), then forming the waist band, and then finaly being cinched together via a buckle. A few surfacing questions…
1. Is the 2 inch webbing ever bolted to the BP (possibly up at the top by the head)?
2. When a person releases the buckle in the water does the shoulder straps loosen thus unabling the diver to quickly get out of his/her equipment? Or is the two bottom slots positioned such that, the webbing is biten/pinched thus not allowing the shoulder straps to loosen during removal of equipment in the water?
3. for all BP usage is the crotch strap ALWAYS used OR is there times when a crotch strap is optional? If so, when is it optional?
4. can you supply a link to your reference of “good sites” that show the setting up of a BP?
5. To have a BP properly sized for you… where should the plate start on your back (top) and where should the plate end up (bottom) on a persons back? I can only assume the BP width is an integral part of the length…

Leadweight…. You’re for TPII… tell me a few things.
1. If I were to purchase the Travel wings then later purchase the rec wings or doubles, how do I swap wings? Bolts? Bungees?
2. how does one mount double tanks on a TPII? Special straps; harness; and/or added plate?
3. is there a limit of what kind of tanks the TPII can hold?? AL vs Steel 80’s vs 120’s?
4. What is your personal opinion in adding an AIR-2 to the TPII configuration?

thanks in advance for your comments..

Leadweight is the TPII expert, I'm only a novice but I'll have a stab at the answers (you never know I might learn something too).

To take off the travel wings you just unthread them from the cambands as it is really just these (and the tank) that holds them in place.

Doubles you would use a stabilising plate (although the manual claims you can use the cambands as well), the stabilising plate may complicate the switching of the wings.

As far as I know the harness has no limit on the configurations you can use, but you would have to select the appropriate wing to provides the required lift.

Air2 generally not highly thought of around here, but practically speaking I belive it would go on like any other BCD (of course you would be adding it to the wing not the harness).

If you are interested in the TPII there is a lot of information addressing these questions including the manual on the diverite website.

For the record I love the TPII and if you interested I recently posted the first impressions of diving it as a new user.

Cheers

Conor

DADDY BIG-GULP once bubbled...
1. If I were to purchase the Travel wings then later purchase the rec wings or doubles, how do I swap wings? Bolts? Bungees?
2. how does one mount double tanks on a TPII? Special straps; harness; and/or added plate?
3. is there a limit of what kind of tanks the TPII can hold?? AL vs Steel 80’s vs 120’s?

1. Travel wings attach by weaving the tank straps through slots on the back of the harness and a vertical strap on the travel wing. Rec wing attaches by slipping it over the ends of the tank bands. No bolts when singles are used with either wing. No tools required, bungees are not involved. Note that the Rec wing has a bungee to keep it from tacoing around a single tank. The travel wing has an elastic cover

2. Doubles are usually mounted using bolts. There is an accessory stabilizer plate which is a glorified washer. I think a pair costs about $15. Note, the Travel wing is for singles only. There are some other methods for mounting two single tanks without a manifold, and some cave divers use a sidemount setup.

3. According to the Diverite website dual 104's are the max with the rec wing. With the super wing dual 120's with 2 80cf stage bottles. I don't use doubles, so I don't know all of the ins and outs.

4. I don't like the Air2 on any BC. It can take some effort (raise the hose, or body position) to get the last little bit of air out of a wing. You really don't want to have to take the Air2 out of your mouth to do that while a nervous diver is breathing off your main which is probably on a rather short 28" hose. I believe that the Air2 and similar devices will become less popular as equipment manufacturers phase in BC's with direct inflation and shoulder dumps. Despite the many misgivings that DIR and technically oriented members of this board have about doing away with the ambient hose, these new BC's have been very well received by consumers and are likely to become dominant. No ambient hose means nowhere to put the Air2. Additionally, the Air2 is on the delicate side compared to a standard second stage. By the way, the inflator which comes with Diverite wings is very easy to control and will allow adding even minute amounts of air to the wing. At the moment I am using a standard regulator setup with an octopus.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy the flame free zone.

I'll address the rescue class part of it first. The victim was placed on his back with air in the wing to keep him a float. The waist buckle was undone and the vitims arms were placed by in an upward manner by his head at which time he was easily pulled free of the bc or the bc pulled free of him. There was no velcro to undo or several clips to undo. BP's tend to intimidate people till they see how simple they are. Me personally in a rescue situation im probably gonna cut you free of the bc with my shears.

1. yes the webbing can be bolted near the top of the plate. It uses the same bolt hole that secures the wing the BP with the exception of the newer style halcyon wings with the built in STA which is optional if you want to run a bolt through the webbing.The webbing is very stiff and doesnt really need a bolt to hold it in place. It just kind of forms to the slots and holds itself in place. I use an external 2 pc STA on my set up so the webbing is bolted on mine.

2.The shoulder straps never loosen unless you manually loosen them on shore. The buckle holds the bp close to your back and cinches everything up. Undoing the buckle allows you to slide out of the bp or slip it over your head. I have never removed my bp at depth but have heard of people doing so without to much trouble. Also remember that the shoulder straps are not extremely tight like a lot of people think. If you get the straps to tight you will know it at least i did.....lol. With just the bp on you should be able to slip two fingers easily under the straps. The crotch strap and waist strap brings everything together for a very secure fit without the need for excessively tight shoulder straps.It is also nice not to have all that clutter on the front of your chest area.

I have donned mine on the surface a few times with no problems. It was nice to slip in it, hook up the waist and crotch strap and dive without having to do a bunch of shoulder adjustments, plus all the buckles and velcro that my knighthawk had.

3.I personally use the crotch strap as to me it ties the whole system together and makes it very secure. I have read here on the board that some people prefer not to use a crotch strap.

4.http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment

http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/backplate_adjustment.html

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/index.shtml

5.refer to the websites posted above and if that doesnt answer your question PM fredt or Scottk from the board here as they custom make BP and are the experts on them. I have a fredt bp and it works great. Both these guys make awesome bp's. Here is scottk's site http://www.selchie.com/index.htm I dont think fredt has a site but his items can be viewed here
http://aulinc.com/Htm_Files/AUL_Info-main.htm and click on SS backplates

I also suggest you to avoid using an air2 and use a bungeed back up or an octopus as an air2 complicates things in an already stressful situation.Check out the video clips on the right side of this site for OOA and OOA ascents using a back up reg and long hose
http://www.fifthd.com/classindex.html

Now we're cooken!!!
I salute those peeps who contributed the last 9-10 posts... GREAT and VERY INFORMATIVE INFORMATION!!! I have learned much from those of you who have the TPII and those who have the BP w/wings.

lal7176 .... you’re for BP w/wings... tell me a few things...

As I understand the BP configuration there is a 2 inch webbing being one continious strap; first going through the top two shoulder slots, then forming the shoulder straps, then routed through the bottom two slots (both right and left sides), then forming the waist band, and then finaly being cinched together via a buckle. A few surfacing questions…
1. Is the 2 inch webbing ever bolted to the BP (possibly up at the top by the head)?
2. When a person releases the buckle in the water does the shoulder straps loosen thus unabling the diver to quickly get out of his/her equipment? Or is the two bottom slots positioned such that, the webbing is biten/pinched thus not allowing the shoulder straps to loosen during removal of equipment in the water?
3. for all BP usage is the crotch strap ALWAYS used OR is there times when a crotch strap is optional? If so, when is it optional?
4. can you supply a link to your reference of “good sites” that show the setting up of a BP?
5. To have a BP properly sized for you… where should the plate start on your back (top) and where should the plate end up (bottom) on a persons back? I can only assume the BP width is an integral part of the length…

Some people do not like them, however I do and have a sea quest version on my TPII and travel wing.

It is no less delicate, but as said you do need to know what your doing if you were to ascend using it.

Albion,

I have an AIR-2 on my travel wing as well but it's because I moved it from an old ScubaPro BC setup I had from before. With the SP setup the dump is on the right shoulder and the AIR-2 on the left so it was still easy to use the AIR-2 and dump at the same time.

With the TPII I'm pretty sure one will have to take the AIR-II out of the mouth to fully dump.

If I had to make a choice from scratch to get the AIR-2 or go with an octopus I'm not sure I would have gone with the AIR-2. I may have actually I just didn't think about it.

So, now that I think about it...

The AIR-2 will function if called upon, that's not a question, and I agree it is durable. The main question is how much extra risk does one introduce when taking the AIR-2 out of the mouth to dump. To some, any extra risk isn't worth it.

On the other hand I've become used to the idea of an AIR-2 over the last 10 years. My instinct in an OOA situation will be to give up the main reg. So the question of which reg to give up is settled. I also like the very streamlined clean setup of the AIR-2.

Anyone who's had to use an AIR-2, practice or real, have an opinion?

Mverick once bubbled...

You buyin first round. Or am I.... LOL

Its going to be mass consumption dude. By the end of the evening you're going to think you have gills and webbed feet.

BC, who needs one?

-Ron

I recently got my Transpac II and Trek Wings. I went diving this weekend and I was vbery pleased with its performance.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom