Transpac II

Winged BCD or Back inflated? **whats your pick**

• Winged BCD

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Back inflated BCD

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's going on guys ? I go on holiday and when I come back the BP and TPII crowds are being respectful of each others opinions. I must be dreaming or has peace broken out at last ?

I use an AIR2 with TPII and travel wing. I also have an air intergrated computer. I dive exclusively on warm reefs and didn't want anything in my way or dragging on the reef. I have coped with a minor buddy out of air emergency without any dificulty. Of course this is a set up which some people will not be comfortable with but I don't do caves, cold water or wreck penetration and most reefs are only 12-25m deep.

PS (OT) Leadwieght I've posted a (short) report on my Bora Bora trip

Ian

i havn't been on the board for a while and when i left this post it there were only about 10 replies! now theres about 70.... thanks for ur guys comments, and using this info and comments i have decided to get the seaquest balance BCD =-)

I have been trying to avoid being critical of BP's to save those who use them from excessive grief. However, the statement that the TP2 does not cut it for technical diving is utter BS.
[/QUOTE]

I agree as well,
How deep do U dive DIRboys 30m :D
Some blokes down here dive deep & long with all the plastic clips :wink: & come back to tell the tales.

TPII owner :wink:
But nothing wrong with a BP either just the attitude of some muppets using them.

I am a relative novice compared to many of the divers posting here, but I have owned a Transpac II for 4 years, so here are my experiences:

I never got "trained" on the use of any equipment after my certification class. When I was interested in the Transpac II, the local shop I bought it from let me jump in their pool and try it. I don't think anyone else would need training in it either. I don't have any problem floating on my back, or with buckles breaking, etc.

The Transpac II came with a Rec wing which is nice to have for local waters, but most of my diving is in warm water, so I bought a Travel wing after I had owned the Transpac II for about a year. There is no problem changing the wings. You just open up the tank straps and swap. I like the reduced bulk from the Travel Wing.

After another year, I decided to switch from a traditional octopus to an Air II. I have not found it any different when using it compared to the DiveRite inflator. If anything it might be a bit easier wearing gloves because the buttons are bigger, but I did not have any problem with the original inflator, so that is just a guess.

Most recently, I decided that because of the Air II, a longer hose on my primary regulator made sense, so I bought a 5' hose. It took a couple dives to figure out where to tuck it in so it didn't pull out and flop around and then no more problems.

As a recreational diver who likes many of the equipment concepts that come out of the Tek crowd, I have been pleased with the Transpac II. With each additional equipment change, I have gotten more comfortable.

However, before buying any equipment I would suggest trying it at least once to see if you like it, even if it is just in the shop's pool. If you like it, buy it. If you don't like it, try something else until you find what you do like.

DADDY BIG-GULP once bubbled...
3. is there a limit of what kind of tanks the TPII can hold?? AL vs Steel 80’s vs 120’s?
My personal preference is for the Transpac II with double 85's, 80's or 72's (or smaller but those are the only ones I've tried), and the BP for anything larger. And sometimes I choose a BP for the 85's, depending on the trim of the rest of the stuff I'm wearing/carrying.
Rick

lal7176 once bubbled...
Now you did it. You have awoken the king of the warm water weenies:D

If you dive cold water its my OPINION that a bp is a much better option than a trashpak2(oops). For warm water diving both are a good option though i would prefer a aluminum bp. If you prefer to DIL then get the trashpak2(oops again):D

I agree with you on the different metals for different enviroments, I have used a SS in colder countries and personal own the Aluminum as I live in warm water areas.

=-)

I dive with transpac II and trekwings for over 20 dives now. I think it is a great BC compared to others. The freedom it gives you is undisputable. Also a very stable bc with lots of features on it. :)

Back
Top Bottom