Travel Light - How to Travel Without Check-in Luggage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and budget airlines charge for check in luggage.

What does the Titan LX weigh? You might shave ounces with an Atomic T2.
I'm guessing if the baggage fees at Airasia or Tiger Airlines are an issue, then the cost of a T2 is a bigger issue.

I'm guessing if the baggage fees at Airasia or Tiger Airlines are an issue, then the cost of a T2 is a bigger issue.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I won't say the baggage fees is a big big issue but if i can travel without check in, so much the better.

The titan lx will be with a miflex hose. And for SPG, planning to get the highland mini tech gauge with miflex as well.

Looks like I will have to consider a lighter wetsuit and lighter or no booties.

Still, my question remains, is 7kg for a complete and safe scuba gear impossible ? Have anybody done it, without sacrificing wetsuit (risk of cold and cuts), snorkel (cannot do snorkeling during 1 hour surface interval), no booties (can't walk on beach / rocks comfortably), omit surface marker ?

I don't think you can get lighter than the Zeagle Express. Remember to stuff your fin foot pockets with your mask etc.

I've not gotten my kit below the 7kg threshold, but I've never tried.

When I travelled from Thailand to Sipidan, I managed to pack my entire recreational and technical kit, including umbilical, 2 backplates, dsmbs, lift bags etc...and flew on Air Asia without paying excess baggage.

I used my old military daysack as carry-on. It actually weighed 26kg... but they didn't weigh it. I stowed it under the aircraft seat for safety.

I do think the OP could get the weight down to 7kgs... if he was prepared to invest in all the right items.

Going minimalistic, I think it would be possible.
Warm water, you don’t need a BC, so a plastic back plate and a hog harness
If you could get DIN tanks you can save some more, Apecks 1st stage DIN 340g (12oz) Yoke 459g (16.2oz).
I think we can afford a yoke 1st stage plus primary and secondary at 708gm (25oz).
No need for an inflator hose so that’s another few ounces saved.
Go wireless so no need for the SPG and hose, not sure how much you save.
1mm wet suit/rash guard, you can wear the top half so only the bottoms need to go into hand luggage, or just dive in a tea shirt and shorts.
Not sure of lightest fins or mask.
Add a safety sausage and some elastic bands to hold it on, a bonus is that it adds extra buoyancy on the surface.
Might get some strange looks when you are on the boat but should come easily under 7Kg with some spare for clothes and it will fit into the max size limits. :D

Maybe not...
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I won't say the baggage fees is a big big issue but if i can travel without check in, so much the better.
Isn't an Atomic Frameless supposed to be lighter than normal? IDK. Or any other frameless mask for that matter. It also comes in a Compact Travel Case. Although wrapping it in a t-shirt serves a dual function as well. Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask

Both from a size and weight perspective - what about a snorkel like the Oceanic Pocket Snorkel? http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OCNSP.html?&&

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the Dorcy's - I have three - but the twist 'switch' gets hard to operate below 30m or so. You have to remember to turn them on before the dive or during the descent. Once you get to 50m they're almost impossible to turn on (or off for that matter)
Speaking for myself - if I get to 100' w/o turning on my light (on a night dive) - I've probably got a bigger issue to deal with...:D

Anyone know the weight of the Diverite plastic backplate? They claim the aluminium one is 1kg, so the plastic one along with a basic webbing harness has gotta be pretty light...
Any ideas how it compares to the OxyCheq Travel Plate (900 grams) or Ultra Lite Backplate (272 grams)?

Would also have the advantage of packing almost completely flat, if you take it all apart for the journey.

Last edited:
How about wearing some of the gear on the plane? Rather than packing the BCD you can wear it and the weight pockets. I would not recommend wearing the wetsuit, it could get a little warm on the plane.

If you're traveling to dive, I don't see the point of making gear compromises to avoid the luggage check-in procedures. It's not that much time compared with the time you'll be spending in the water--take the gear that you like to dive with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom