Travel Light - How to Travel Without Check-in Luggage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just assumed I had to set out my iPad - hadn't thought to inquire! After I hit "reply" I realized that there are folks who are downloading photos from their cameras to free up memory and to edit and email them, etc. I think I'll take an extra SD card, & my phone will feed my other addictions!

Just happened to be reading the new Sport Diver earlier and they mentioned a couple of travel related things that may be of some use in your process.

One was the Aqualung Hotshot fins, they're 3.28 lbs. and 21" long. So easier to carry-on.

Also there's a Aqualung ad - "why rent when you can travel light?"

In it they list weights for their travel pkg.

Mikron Regulator 1.94lbs.
Zuma BC 4.40lbs
D4 computer .25lbs.
Hotshot Fins 3.28lbs.
Micromask .32lbs.
Impulse 3 Snorkel .41lbs.
2mm Shorty 1.83lbs.
Departure Bag 7.26lbs.

Total 19.71 lbs.

hth,

I think I'll probably give up on ever being able to go diving with full gear without checking in. Most budget carriers in South East Asia have a 7kg (15.4lbs) carry on limit. So seems like Mission Impossible.

Just say a hypothetical list of the lightest gear available in the market now:
1. Apeks flight regulator - 1kg (1st, 2nd stage, octo) - is mikron lighter?
2. Aqualung Zuma - 2.1kg
3. Mares liquidskin, no snorkel - 300g
4. Fins not needing booties - 1kg
5. SMB, torchlight, SPG - 600g
6. 0.5mm shortie or just rash guard - 300g
7. Clothes, toiletries, camera with casing - 2kg

Total 7.3kg without weight of bag. Say get a super light backpack 1kg. Then 8.3kg. Still overweight....MISSION IMPOSSIBLE unless cheat a bit when boarding ie 7kg backpack, some other stuff put in laptop bag or scottevest or something. Oh well...

From the Aqualung list above, 19.71lbs is 8.6kg, but does not include SMB (important to have i think), torchlight and camera.

I am however very interested in the Hotshot mainly due to the shorter length.

What about Zeagle EZ Travel Fin ? Anybody used it before ? Its light, but wonder how it will perform.

Perhaps ditch the Sunnto bag and use a normal looking rucksack? I've seen someone carry gear on board in a big ikea shopping bag which I guess would pack down to nothing.
Packing in an Ikea bag is the definitive sign that you've abandoned any semblance of style. Be sure to wear your 'Divers do it deeper" t-shirt to complete the look. :wink:

How about wearing some of the gear on the plane? Rather than packing the BCD you can wear it and the weight pockets.
I take it back--this is the definitive sign. :D

Am on a mission to try to fit all the necessities for a scuba diving trip in the tropics (I am from Malaysia, and diving around South East Asia region) within the 7kg limit for cabin bags. I hate waiting for luggage at the carousel and budget airlines charge for check in luggage.

So far, it has be Mission Impossible.

This is what I have:
1.Zeagle Express Tech with 4 D-rings, crotch strap and XsScuba weight pockets.
2. Full 3mm wetsuit.
3. TUSA liberator fins.
4. Mask / Snorkel / Booties.
5. Feugo torchlight
Total weight with a 50cmx30cmx20cm carry on bag is 7.8kg.
Not all budget airlines charged check-in luggage. Cebc Pacific is one of those. MAS only allowed 5kg on hand carry but I have seen people carried a pretty big rucksac without attracting any unwanted attention. MAS even offer extra 10kg allowance for scuba equipment on the spot. Air Asia is suck.
Are you happy with your present set up?
It will cost you to replace them with lighter BUT also may be inferior equipment!!
Unless you are travelling regularly, pay a little bit more and save all the hassel.
Bring some good reading materials or down load some into your laptop, i-pad etc etc.

As I am from Malaysia, I do travel with AirAsia a lot. And so far, like you say, they don't weigh your carry on bags unless it looks oversize and awkward. So far, the only airport that really really weigh your carry on is Melbourne Airport. They are really strict, don't even allow just a little over 7kg.

New Zealand airports also weigh and size carry on.

Back
Top Bottom