Travel Light - How to Travel Without Check-in Luggage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given more thought into this issue, I think there are a few considerations, and often time some of these consideration are conflicting.

1. Weight
2. "Packability" ie size / shape
3. Safety and comfort

There are times when the gear is light but the shape might be weird and thus difficult to pack into a cabin size bag, or the light gear might not be as safe or comfortable.

This is what I have, the estimated weight, and why I bought it.

a) Aqualung Titan LX 1st and 2nd stage with miflex hose, Highland mini gauge with miflex high pressure hose and miflex hose to inflator. Weight: 1.4kg. I chose this over Apeks Flight as I was worried about durability and spare parts and I like the ACD idea. With Flight, I would probably save 400g.

b) Zeagle Express Tech BCD with Atomic SS1 octo/inflator. Added 2 XsScuba weight pockets, 1 XxScuba utility bag, 2 D-rings, 2 triglide to hold the harness in place, and 1 crotch strap. Weight: 2.6kg. I chose the ET over the Aqualung Zuma as I wanted something durable and modular. Zuma's advantage is of course packability. The SS1 is to reduce one hose.

c) Mares Xstream fin, xvision mask and random snorkel. Weight: 2kg. I slightly regretted buying the xstream. The length is the problem. Maybe should have waited for aqualung Hotshot. The Hotshot is also lighter by 100g. I also use a bootie, about 300g. I prefer to have a bootie to comfortably walk on rocks / beach. Probably will look for a lighter bootie.

d) 3mm Seapro full wetsuit. Weight: 1.3kg. Could possibly dive with just tshirt and bermudas to save 1.3kg. But I get cold even with a shortie despite in the tropical region. More so on the 3rd and 4th dive of the day. Fourth Element Thermocline looks tempting but expensive.

e) Fuego torch with 4 C-cells, surface marker. Weight: 1kg.

f) Suunto carry on bag. Weight: 800g.

Total 9.4kg

Some pictures on how I pack it. Fins below, Express Tech BC on top. Regulators and stuff on top of BC and wetsuit upper most.
IMG_6493.JPG IMG_6492.JPGIMG_6491.JPG IMG_6490.JPGIMG_6489.JPG IMG_6488.JPGIMG_6486.JPG

Problems :
1. Overweight by 2.4kg.
2. Bag looks bulky and heavy, more likely to be check by airline. So how to compress it in order to travel looking like a suave traveler? This way, unlikely to have the bag weigh by airline.

Last edited:
Perhaps ditch the Sunnto bag and use a normal looking rucksack? I've seen someone carry gear on board in a big ikea shopping bag which I guess would pack down to nothing.

I did 26 flights around SE asia. Mostly Air Asia. Never had them weigh my carry on. Take a Osprey Porter 46 bag and a small backpack with my netbook and crap. Never any problems. This year I am taking my gear here is what i got:

force fins w/inserts (no need for booties!) i stuff my dive computer in one and mask in the other

put them on the bottom on the top of the fins:

Zeagle express tech - pack with the body side of the plate face down and cam bands face up, pull all the straps over the top and wing around tight.

Inside the cam bands area I put in my reg setup (apex flight all miflex hoses and naked 1.5" spg)

I have room to spare and fit my camera and housing and a .5mm wetsuit.

I dont think you can get lighter than this.

orenbvip, was wondering if you could take photo of your gear in the osprey porter ? I am considering buying this rucksack but hard to judge from photos in their online store. Would be great if can have some photos of it with diving gear for better estimate.

Don't have this brand of bags in my country, so would need to order it from USA.

orenbvip, was wondering if you could take photo of your gear in the osprey porter ? I am considering buying this rucksack but hard to judge from photos in their online store. Would be great if can have some photos of it with diving gear for better estimate.

Don't have this brand of bags in my country, so would need to order it from USA.

Ok here are the pics:

Overall i still have room to spare going to ad in my netbook and toiletries and inflatable pillow. It weighed in around 19.5lbs without my electronics but with my camera and housing. I have yet to have my carry on bag weighed. I usually just keep my bag on my back checking in. Out of sight out of mind.

Looking at yours you can lose the snorkel.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

For the rest I will check in a small bag with my clothes, I rather lose my clothes than my gear.

Orenbvip, thank you so much for sharing the photos.

Surprisingly from the photos the osprey porter looks small, but the ET managed to go in. As the ET is about as long as a normal size fins, my mares xstream should go in right ?

What is the last item on top? The one with the mares logo. Is it your netbook, toiletries and inflatable pillow ? Does that mean you don't use a wetsuit?

Thanks again for sharing !

That is my .5mm wetsuit.

You could thank me by letting me stay at your place next month :)

I will be in KL for a few days as i pass through, let me know if you want to meet up.

That is my .5mm wetsuit.

You could thank me by letting me stay at your place next month :)

I will be in KL for a few days as i pass through, let me know if you want to meet up.

When exactly will you be here ? I will be away in Kota Kinabalu diving next week. Do pm me.

Now that I have an iphone I can leave my ipad and computer behind. I use my iphone to read my ebooks, check my mail and surf the internet. Initially I decided to leave all that stuff behind because you have to set it out for TSA as you go through the security checkpoint and you risk losing it (someone taking it) while they grope you! But this really does save a lot in terms of space and the anxiety of what might get broken or lost along the way.

I thought the ipad was exempt from the silly TSA charade of separate inspection, as my Kindle has been thus far. It looks like the perfect device for a traveling photographer. Not only to review and edit photos, but, as you mention, to read books and access the internet, and still relatively compact (but not that light--it's not going to make the cut for a 7kg luggage limit).

Back
Top Bottom