travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theo

Registered
Reaction score
I know that Egypt is not a place that is high on the list in the US at the moment, but we just came back from a two week stay in Dahab (south sinai) and after diving most of the world I must say that this place has the best and healty corals I have ver seen. It is all shore diving and the best places are not allways easy to get to and sometimes involve camel rides but it is very cheap (we paid in the Hilton $50 per night for two persons and a beer cost about $1.50) and extremely laid back.
The RED SEA deserves a lot more attention from the American Public than it gets at the moment. All diving is great out there and at some places you will encounter Hammerheads, dolphins tuna and loads more big Pelagics. The live aboards are great and relatively cheap and from most European countries it is dead easy to get a charter , so you can avoid flying to Cairo and go to Hurghadda or Sharm. London Amsterdam and a lot of places in Italy have a copple og charters per week.
Theo

Dahab,

Couldn't agree more. As politically incorrect as it may be, and despite several other threads that down rated Dahab, I want to retire there (all things being equal). I spent a year in Israel and half the weekends in Saini. The outlet at the bottom of the blue hole was nice but the canyon just before that I thought was better, though the bells and that wall are the best I've ever seen.

The place south of town, I think it is called the Islands, was a fabulous place and being shallow on top of that! Also did a week long live aboard sout of Sharm and across to Abu Nuhaus side and it was great too but Dahab is like the best no-brainer-couldn't-be-easier place I have ever been.

Yup, I'm going to retire there.

Greg

I am a bit confused about the political incorrectness of Egypt. As far as I know they have nothing to do with anything that happened the last coplle of months besides that it is a muslim country. Do not forget that the distance from Egypt to Afghanistans is about 2000 miles so not next door.
Furthermore I have spend more than ten years working as an instructor in Israel and Sinai and have never been more welcome in my life than with the Bedouins of Sinai specifically the Assara familyof Dahab. There are a lot more dive sights than you mentioned ,like Gabr el Bint, Abu Heleal and Ras abu Galum. You have to do three dives a day if you want to do everything in two weeks.
The Blue Hole is not a great dive and should only be done on Trimex !!!!!! The Arch starts at 65 mtrs.
Club policies these days is 30 meters and there is more than enough to see.
If anyone needs info about who to contact or which club to pick and which to avoid I am more than happy to share this info.
The local Hilton gives some incredible deals at the moment and we allways use Reef 2000 (www.reef2000.com)
theo

Being your basic American (cowboy) ant not fully understanding the point of dive police or dive nazis, I have been known to bend a rule or two (but I haven't been). I agree partially, the blue hole is not a great dive, but I don't agree with the trimix comment. Unless there is more than one arch at the blue hole in Dahab you can go through it at 56 or 57 meters. The measure was made on my Aladin and if you'd like to see the profile I will forward it.

Greg

Originally posted by theo
I am a bit confused about the political incorrectness of Egypt. As far as I know they have nothing to do with anything that happened the last coplle of months besides that it is a muslim country. Do not forget that the distance from Egypt to Afghanistans is about 2000 miles so not next door.
Furthermore I have spend more than ten years working as an instructor in Israel and Sinai and have never been more welcome in my life than with the Bedouins of Sinai specifically the Assara familyof Dahab.
theo

Theo's right - it's not at all a question of political correctness.

If anything, it's a question of personal comfort with the local security precautions and one's hosts. Unquestionably, the vast majority of Middle Easterners like peace and tranquillity as much as any the vast majority of inhabitants in any part of the world.

I do not want to argue about depth and or diving nazis. Being jewish this is not an area I want to go into.
The fact is that over the years me collegues and me had to carry out to many rescue missions to locate (dead) idiots who think they can do anything. This came to a point where in onme dive trough the arch four people fied.
The fact is now that unless on mixed gasses you can only dive to 30 mtrs(100 feet) and I fully agree with this. In the end of the day "DIVING IS FUN" AND PEOPLE SHOULD REALIZE THAT THEY ARE ON HOLIDAY AND NOT ON A MISSION.
For me diving is the means to an end which is enjoy the UW enveriment and see things I can only see on television or an aquarium.
I have worked as an commercial diver in the north see and worked as Padi instructor in Holland, Israel and Egypt.
I am to old for all those diffucult dives and enjoy my diving incredebaly.I do not want to do deco or dive with more that one tank on my body. AFTER AN HOUR AND A HALF IN THE WATER i NEED A LEAK, A FAG AND A COFFEE.
I do understand different opinians but it is no longer for me.
Theo

times her vacations in Sinai, for many years (never ask a women how many years).
All I can say is that Sinai is one of the most beautiful places on the world, underwater and topside, and although I haven't been there lately (because I am a chicken) I miss it very much, dream about it and will definitely visit there as soon as possible.
Any of you who has not been there must put Sinai in his "wish list".

And about the Blue Hole myths: actually, the Canyon's death toll surpasses the Blue Hole's, but many of the Canyon's victims were credited to the Blue Hole by mistake (you know newspapers: it's much better to blame the spooky blue hole, or perhaps ignorancy: A dead diver in Dahab? The Blue Hole for sure!!).
Anyway, the arch starts at 56-57 meters (depends on low/high tide), but one doesn't have necessarily to pass thorugh it. No shame in diving to 30 or 42 meters (according to each one's qualification). The outer side of the blue is actually the really nice place and one needs not go deep at all into the hole.

And about the four victims there: is it the case of these four DMs/instructors who went on a night dive there, drunk and after several joints? Because these guys (RIP) would probably die anywhere else... Maybe it was natural selection and not the blue hole who killed them (sounds bad but perhaps true).
Whenever I hear of a diving accident there I get mad on these irresponsible divers who do stupid things and give bad reputation to the poor blue hole. The day will come when we'll find it closed to divers "because it is dangerous". It is not, it is as safe as any ohter dive if one dives as he should dive: safely.

I am glad someone has shed some light on this. I can see why the canyon is more dangerous, limited exits for starters.

I too miss Saini and when it calms down I'll be back.

Greg

Any dive sites particlarly recommended?

The canyon comes highly recommended. I never heard about deaths there before this thread. Is it a very advanced dive?

Any other 'must-dives' bearing in mind that I will be with non-diving spouse, so can't spend the whole time sub-aqua.

If you had to pick 4-6 top sites in the Dahab area, which would they be?

Thanks in advance

Alex,

This is only my opinion but I would do the Bells, which is just beyond the blue hole, The canyon, and there is a mid level exit, The Islands which is on the south end of town I think, and the Caves which is way to the south (20-30 min) and through another baksheesh collection point.

My favorite is the Bells, because when you exit you are on the most beautiful wall ever, and it is vertical!

Too bad the original Shlomo Cohen book is no longer available, it has drawings ao all these.

Good luck.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom