travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In order of great dive sites I would choose at no 1 Gabr el Bint, you can do this by boat or camel.
Second would be the Bells, Blue Hole combination, where you start at the Bells and end at the saddle of the Blue Hole.
Third would be the Canyon, which is a very good dive and not diffucult as long as you plan your dive carefully.
The dive at Abu Hillel and most other dive sites depend a bit on the weather and tide conditions.
See the Reef2000 website for some pictures.

Theo

The Canyon is not dangerous. "Darwin award candidates" are those who destroy its reputation.
The Canyon goes all the way down to 60meters (and perhaps more). I have seen someone who made his first dive after AOW there, and went out of the Canyon at 50meters...

The Canyon's top close to a very small fissure. Most of the time there's no exit from it! It is more like a long cave than a Canyon. The entrance is through a small tunnel at ~18meters. Then you come inside and there's no way out until ~30-35 meters. Next station out is at 46meters, and after that I don't know.

The bottom is sandy, so a careless diver will destroy visibility for all the rest. Better be the first on e in the morning to get there.
Inside there are not so many fish, especially if you are there after a dozen of other groups. However, it is an exciting site.

Theo is right about sites like Abu Helal. They are great places, not so popular. However, tide and waves can make these sites problematic. We once were crashed there by the waves on the top of the reef and got plenty of scratches and damaged our suits.

The bell is one of my favorites. The wall there is beautiful!

There is a lot of talk about depth at various dive sights. To give some insight at the current situation in Dahab(we have just returned from two weeks).
Both Canyon and Blue Hole require a liscence from one of the Dive Clubs which liscence will be checked by a policeofficer on sight.The government, after several accidents, have stated that the maximum depth on air can only be 30 mtrs regardless of the qualification one holds.
The discussion about the exit of the canyon( roughly 50 mtrs, depending on tide) is because of this not interesting.
I must say that in the end of the day, unless for scenery, the dives in Dahab are most interesting at shallow depths.More fish and more colours.
Gabr el Bint is for me the best because of the enormous Gorgonias.See picture
And for Vicky; I have not encountered a lot of anti Israeli feelings. Especcially among the Bedouins Israelis are more favourite than Egyptians. If anything there is more anti Egyptian than anti Israeli feelings among the locals.

Theo and Vicky,

thanks for your tips :)

I'm not interested in diving to silly depths. 30m is more than enough for me. If there's stuff to see at lesser depths then I'll be happy with that.

I'm travelling with non-diving spouse, so I'm thinking about maybe getting up early and doing a dive to start the day each day - then spend rest of time with spouse :wink:

Which dive club would be best to fit that need? I've been looking at Poseidon web site. Any good?

I do not know Poseidon, it is a relatively new club. Over the past two years the number of new centres opened reached incredible proportions to almost 40 now(as far as I know I did not count)
I can't say anything negative about Poseidon. All I can say that I know Dave Elgin of Reef 2000 for about 7 years now and I know they give great service. This can be called advertising but in the end of the day that is exactly what it is, at least I am sure you will not get disappointed with them.I do know of a lot of cowboys both induviduals and clubs, but I want to go back so I do not want to put names on the web.
If your partner is of the non-diving sort( you poor man) you must go to the coloured canyon It is great. Try to steer clear of the St Caterina Monestary. It is the most polluted place on earth.
On their way up to the summit, people have to go to the toilet and with a lack of that facility and the number of people involved I don't have to explain what will happen and how that smells in the right temperature.
Theo

Reef 2000 are recommended by a lot of people on the web :)

But from looking at their marketing materials, I did get the impression that they cater to the...

"pile it high and sell it cheap"

...end of the market.

Perhaps this is not true. My requirements are probably different from most typical divers. I guess the best thing to do is take a look at several clubs when I get there.

If you want to tell me which ones to definitely avoid by private email I would really appreciate that...

alex@tranfree.com

thanks

Ras Abu Galum and Ras Mamlach. These two dive sites are by far less visited because they are not near the city. They are between Dahab and Nuweiba. Beatiful sites, conserved, very quiet and peaceful beach too.
It is possible to get there either from Dahab or Nuweiba. I think that it is possible to go from Dahab also on camels (they put the tanks and gear on a separate camel). Takes more time, if there is an emergency evacuation is more problematic, but it is a different experience that you won't get everywhere. I'm not sure if there is any club who still uses camels, but asking doesn't cost money.

Wow, more than 40 dive clubs in Dahab? I remember the days when there was only one and Dahab was just a bunch of huts near the beach.

I agree with the north option, Abu Galum and Ras Mamlach, alltough I don't think Vicky will recognize it.
Dahab even has clubbing and booze these days, it is not yet Eilat but creature comforts are slowly coming in, some places even have fresh water so a lady can wash her hair!!!!!!!!
For all those people wishing to visit Dahab in the near future
DO NOT MISS THE HILTON HAPPY HOUR.between 5 and 7 every day
Two beers for the price of one and free food.
Theo
:)

My first time there was in the late 70s. Since then I watched it grow and develop like a child. Last time I was there in 1999 ;-0 .
BTW, I prefer diving in Sharm :sheik: , but Dahab is a good alternative if I have only a short weekend.
I hope to be there again next month :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom