Traveling question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have no problems with you telling the world that you have been raped or that there has been an attempted rape. However, you did not use that word in your first post. Instead, you were pretty graphic in what happened to you, and you never came out and condemned the men that did these things to you. In fact, your words actually seemed to trivialize the incidents.

We found this to be contradictory and confusing for all who might read it. Indeed, I could call it an account of what happened, but hardly a warning. Your second try is truly that though...a real warning! It was clear, to the point and condemning of their actions. Now, that is a message that we are PROUD to have come from our board. Rape is not appropriate at any time or under any circumstances. It is a horrible act of terrorism and men who do such a thing should be punished SEVERLY!!! A woman is the only person with the sole rights to her body!

As for the timeliness of our moderators... Divemistress was informed IMMEDIATELY that her post was edited. She did not have to find out on her own. If we thought her post was a flagrant error, we would have posted that publicly as we have done in the past. As it is, we usually leave disclosing that a post was edited by a moderator up to you guys. There are many who would not want others know their post was edited by us. We informed her privately what had been done, and her reaction to that has been left UNCENSORED. We have nothing to hide.

Tim:
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Scuba board has owners. It is their web site. They decide what they want on their web site. They are kind enough to have us regulators to help them think things out. They don't have to do that. They could make all the decisions themselves. Do you have a problem with that?

Well, Jason --

I'm not how sure exciting I would be as a roommate -- but I am willing to share a room -- and I'm not all that concerned about gender.

For me, the issues / concerns are:

1) I don't want to share a room with a smoker.

2) I do like to dive a lot 3 - 5 dives a day is great (warm water only) -- but I prefer to do photo dives -- I like to move at a moderate to slow pace... as a sight seer / photographer. In my experience (caution: generalization coming here) -- in my experience most men seem to have more of a 'cover the distance' approach to diving -- So, an important issue for me is that my dive buddy's diving interest / style match with mine.

3) My room mate needs to be forewarned that I apparently snore like some kind of large woodland animal -- My husband recommends ear plugs!

4) I'm also a large, 'generously proportioned' woman (read "fat") -- I'm not sure why this would be of issue to a non-sexual dive partner --- but, in any event, a room mate would have to be comfortable with that.

5) Cost. Can I afford the trip.

Anyway, good luck in the search, Jason! Have you chosen your dates yet?

Liz

If nothing else, a few people earned another *star* tonight.
Must say something that this topic and the one last night have elicited so many replies. Do you think that perhaps not everyone sees things the same and maybe there is a place for that. Perhaps an "adult only" discussion lounge.

MARINABROKER once bubbled...
Perhaps an "adult only" discussion lounge.

My thought on that is there are plent of those around. I would prefer scubaboard not become one of them. There are several members of the board that are in thier early teens or younger. They don't post a lot but they are here and they view the pages.

IMHO

Chad

My room mate needs to be forewarned that I apparently snore like some kind of large woodland animal -- My husband recommends ear plugs!

You might want to get checked for obstructive sleep apnea.

some of the exchanges in this thread and in "let's be honest guys" have gotten very personal, and imo, inappropriate for a public board.

if you would like to pursue this discussion, let's take it to PMs. and let's put the gloves back on -- we can discuss this in a more civil fashion.

tonight's ugliness has taken a toll on me. i don't plan to logon on sunday. but monday i'll try to address any posts you send me, and hope you will do the same for me.

judith

p.s. a thought for the day: words have two meanings. one in the mouth of the person who says them, one in the ears of the person who hears them -- old french proverb.

NetDoc once bubbled...
We have no problems with you telling the world that you have been raped or that there has been an attempted rape. However, you did not use that word in your first post. Instead, you were pretty graphic in what happened to you, and you never came out and condemned the men that did these things to you. In fact, your words actually seemed to trivialize the incidents.

We found this to be contradictory and confusing for all who might read it. Indeed, I could call it an account of what happened, but hardly a warning. Your second try is truly that though...a real warning! It was clear, to the point and condemning of their actions. Now, that is a message that we are PROUD to have come from our board. Rape is not appropriate at any time or under any circumstances. It is a horrible act of terrorism and men who do such a thing should be punished SEVERLY!!! A woman is the only person with the sole rights to her body!

As for the timeliness of our moderators... Divemistress was informed IMMEDIATELY that her post was edited. She did not have to find out on her own. If we thought her post was a flagrant error, we would have posted that publicly as we have done in the past. As it is, we usually leave disclosing that a post was edited by a moderator up to you guys. There are many who would not want others know their post was edited by us. We informed her privately what had been done, and her reaction to that has been left UNCENSORED. We have nothing to hide.

Natasha once bubbled...
Tim:
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Scuba board has owners. It is their web site. They decide what they want on their web site. They are kind enough to have us regulators to help them think things out. They don't have to do that. They could make all the decisions themselves. Do you have a problem with that?
No problem at all! I was trying to lighten the atomosphere a little. I appreciate the monitoring and believe that it is almost always thoughtful and restrained. :wave:

No dates set yet, but most likely end of January/or sometime in February.

Actually, my buddy search might be coming to an end. I think I have found someone to go..on this very board. Nothing definite yet, but we'll see.

Thanks for your input. I see this thread is popular, in both good/bad ways. :/

Jason

Jason-
Personally, I dont have a problem sharing a room with guys, in fact, most of my dive buddys are guys and we split hotel rooms all the time. In fact, I have, on occasion, been the only female present in a room of 6. The sex thing has never been an issue (granted, I know all the people I dive with well). I wouldnt be averse to sharing a room with a relative stranger, and as for safety- I carry a .45 and a Fl concealed weapons permit :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom