Traveling to Escanaba . . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notso_Ken

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be up in the UP this summer for a bit, and I'm set to dive in Munising. However, also want to dive Lake Michigan while up there, and see writeups about the Nahant and the John Weber easily diveable from Escanaba. I tried to contact Blue Water Divers in Escanaba to gather a bit more info, and to see if I could get fills there, but phone is disconnected, and no current webpage.

Anybody have any info on the diving there in Escanaba (more than what I've found in Cris Kohl's book)? Any dive shops nearer than Marquette?

Ken

Ken,

The shop in Marquette is also out of business. So options are Munising or M&M in Menominee. Bob at M&M is pretty knowledgeable on Escanaba and he knows the local divers around there too.

Jeff

Thanks, sounds like I need to contact M&M in Menominee. I'll be staying with my Dad in Gwinn while I'm up there.

If you have a couple extra guys, I can introduce you to some commercial fishermen that might let you jump off their boat.
We used to throw a "dive circus" up in that neck of the woods every summer.
Here's the old page, (it has outdated info on it, like about Blue Water in Esky, B&B prices, etc,) but the wrecks are still there: U.P. dive info

If you have a couple extra guys, I can introduce you to some commercial fishermen that might let you jump off their boat.
Here's the old page, (it has outdated info on it, like about Blue Water in Esky, B&B prices, etc,) but the wrecks are still there: U.P. dive info

There's going to be 3 of us up there. I'll take a look at that link, thanks!

Ken

" One of the more recent finds in the area is a completely intact schooner sitting upright on a clean, hard gravel bottom, with all of the rigging intact and in place! We have yet to wrangle the GPS numbers out of the commercial fisherman who discovered her, but hopefully we should have them one of these days.
We also have a couple of promising targets we have yet to dive on and identify."

Have any numbers surfaced?? or for any wrecks other than the two off of ludington in Esky?

OK, tried, unsuccessfully, to dive Escanaba or vicinity. But, I learned a little.

First, Escanaba was closed for their 150th birthday party. So, I didn't talk to anyone in Escanaba about the diving ahead of time, there is no dive shop to call, and I didn't call anyone else. Might have helped. (Actually, when I got up to Gwinn, my sister did tell me that I should have called her, because there was a big celebration going on, so even calling someone 55 miles away would have been helpful).

Second, Fayette State Park does have diving, but it is very limited in time, 7 to 10 am, and 7 to 10 pm. Plus a $50 fee (but it sounded like that covered up to 7 people????). I hadn't called because this was only a backup plan I did not plan on executing. Again, calling the ranger station ahead of time would have resolved.

A dive shop in Escanaba would sure be helpful . . . . . .

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom