Traveling to FL Keys in April - must see dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While this isn't exactly dive related, I'd suggest that you visit the USCGC Ingham to see one of the Treasury Class Cutters that is in excellent shape and then dive either the Duane or the Bibb in the upper Keys. That way you get to see what the ship look like before it sank.

But as others have said, it is probably best to have a guide.

--

Bud

Thanks for the info on that... of all the times I've been to Key West, I never knew that was available to tour. :thumb:

So, from your responses, I'm convinced that reefs in Key West aren't really something to look forward to, and to hire a guide to do the wrecks in Key Largo. I'm gonna talk to a few dive operators and see how best they can accomodate someone with our experience level. So far, the one's I've spoken to have been super useful, so am super excited to go dive Key Largo! Thanks, you guys!

Nah...reefs there are pretty tired and need rehabilitation (which a lot of people tend to think that diving the Vandy will help)

That said...if you are STAYING in KW, take a trip up US 1 and dive Looe Key reef. VERY nice lush reefs!

This op Florida Keys scuba diving dive training charter boats,Looe Keys Dive Center Florida scuba,scuba diving dive training Florida Keys,dives boat charters scuba diving Florida keys,Vandenberg Busch wrecks has a Wednesday trip that takes you to the Adolphus Busch (110') AND two reefs! (they also have guides if necessary for the deep dive) It's a cattle boat, but they try to do a good job keeping everyone happy, and the snorkelers away from the divers.

I give another vote for the Benwood up in Key largo! STILL one of my favorite dives! IF you're going up there and diving that...ask for dive number two to be on Molasses Reef! Another great dive!

Good luck!

So, from your responses, I'm convinced that reefs in Key West aren't really something to look forward to, and to hire a guide to do the wrecks in Key Largo. I'm gonna talk to a few dive operators and see how best they can accomodate someone with our experience level. So far, the one's I've spoken to have been super useful, so am super excited to go dive Key Largo! Thanks, you guys!

Sent you a PM...

That said...if you are STAYING in KW, take a trip up US 1 and dive Looe Key reef. VERY nice lush reefs!

Looe key is a great site.

nice and shallow for beginners but still plenty to see. You can easily do an 1.5 hour dive here and not get bored.

takes you to the Adolphus Busch (110')

great wreck to dive. almost full beam bridge/island/pilot house is HUGE for easy penetration.

1309.jpg

busch-wreck-florida-keys-diving600.jpg

I give another vote for the Benwood up in Key largo! STILL one of my favorite dives! IF you're going up there and diving that...ask for dive number two to be on Molasses Reef! Another great dive!

both great sites in Key Largo.

The Benwood is one of my favorite wrecks. It's been down so long, TONS of coral on it and is overpopulated with fish. Great for photos.

I've dove this wreck about every trip down. :thumb:

Molasses is a great 2nd dive off this wreck.

Must do dives in the Keys?

Mike's Wreck, Snapper Ledges, French Reef and the Benwood off of Key Largo are my favorites. All have plenty of fish, lots of coral and they are SHALLOW.

These are great suggestions: many operators have these sites on their schedules

If you make it that far west, book a dive on the Spree and see the Tortugas. That was what the Florida Keys looked like a hundred years ago. I HAVE to get there somehow.

If you're newbies and going to be diving in the Keys for a few days, instead of paying for dive guides you could take your AOW and Nitrox classes while you're there. You'll be able to boat dive, night dive, deep dive, nav dive, and whatever other specialties you need to complete training and have an instructor with you. The money you would have paid guides could somewhat offset your course fees.

There might be some braggin' rights if you could say you completed your AOW with a deep dive on the Spiegel Grove or Vandenberg.

I've never taken any training in the Keys, so I can't recommend an instructor...but I bet others here could if that were your intentions...

I just returned (today) from a 4 dive day trip in Key Largo with Horizon Divers.

We dove the local reefs, Benwood, Spiegel Grove. It was an awesome trip all around. The weather was great, the viz was good and the sites were awesome.

We didn't get out to Elbow reef but that is on the list for the next trip.

We were given 65 minutes per dive on all but the Spiegel. So each day was 4+ hours in the water!

All of the reef dives are shallow and the current/surge was never too bad. Tons of life on every dive. Take your time to see the little and hidden stuff.

You will not be disappointed in Key Largo.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom