Traveling to FL Keys in April - must see dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There might be some braggin' rights if you could say you completed your AOW with a deep dive on the Spiegel Grove or Vandenberg.
There are even a few with "NetDoc" as their instructor! :D

Thanks for your tips, advice and PMs. I've taken all that into consideration and finally, here I am! We're in key largo right now and here's what we've been upto so far: The weather has been pretty disappointing since we got here (6 ft waves) so we've not been able to do any of the big wrecks. We started out with the city of washington yesterday and went on to do a part of the elbow reef. The water was very choppy, and the surge made it hard to steer the way we wanted to. But we survived. :) City of washington was a good start to the wreck dives. Saw remains of the wreck and the coral growth over it. The second dive was more of a reef dive but honestly, we barely saw anything remarkable down there. Was surely good buoyancy practice. :D Today was day 2 and we went a little deeper, to about 40 - 43 ft at a different part of the elbow reef and then finished up with the Christ statute. Elbow reef today was a tad better than yesterday - more coral and fish. The water was not as bad as yesterday but certainly not ideal. It got a lil' better when we were down at 40 ft but it was still hard to navigate around at the Christ Statute (which is about 25 ft to the ocean floor). We did see quite a few fish, but nothing very extraordinary. I've dove Hawaii (2 islands) and Fiji before this so my perspective may be a little different.

What I really liked/found interesting was the fact there was a statute below the surface of the water! Our dive master (we're with scuba shack) even showed us the inscription at the base of the statute and we ended up taking some pics..! The reefs are okay, but I've seen better. Was really looking forward to diving the Spiegel but I guess the weather is not looking any better this week. :( We're planning to do 2 more dives tomorrow before we head down to key west. Not sure if we will dive there, considering the winds are coming up from down south.

Hi guys!

I'm really sorry the weather wasn't better for you while you were here. Hopefully the next time you come you can experience that perfect keys weather we are known for and we will be able to take you out to all the wrecks! Look forward to seeing you again!

Kim
Key Largo Scuba Shack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom