Traveling to Israel - Red Sea Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can also dive the underwater archeology museum in Caesaria. Not the Red Sea but an interesting outing just north of Tel Aviv.

Does one require guide when diving in Eilat/Israel? Or can you just rent tank and go diving (after few guided local dives) on your own (i.e. I am traveling alone, no buddy). (I am just interested in legal side, not the solo vs. team diving discussion.)

From legal point of view, solo diving is forbidden by goverment law from 1979. Some clubs may actually ask to see your buddy before renting you gear, and ALL clubs will ask to see c-card, insurance and proof of diving in last 6 months.
Even if you do manage to get gear and solo dive, in many places you will be harassed by people on the beach and by divers underwater, and you may get legal prosecution!
Best thing for you is to team with buddy in any of the several clubs at walking distance like deep-siam, manta, aquasport etc. You can dive with buddy only- guided dives are not mandatory..

From legal point of view, solo diving is forbidden by goverment law from 1979. Some clubs may actually ask to see your buddy before renting you gear, and ALL clubs will ask to see c-card, insurance and proof of diving in last 6 months.
Even if you do manage to get gear and solo dive, in many places you will be harassed by people on the beach and by divers underwater, and you may get legal prosecution!
Best thing for you is to team with buddy in any of the several clubs at walking distance like deep-siam, manta, aquasport etc. You can dive with buddy only- guided dives are not mandatory..

Cool!

Anyone diving Eilat 23rd and 24th? I am interested to join if I may :)

Thanks again for everyone's recommendations! I ended up staying in Eilat but diving in Taba, Egypt. Most (if not all) of my diving has been in the Caribbean and the diversity of fish in the Red Sea was by far more impressive than what I've been used to. That being said, where I dove the reefs were nowhere near as full / developed as some of the areas I visited in the Caribbean. Diving was still amazing.

Taba is quite north - just across the border from Eilat. I've heard the further south you go the better the diving gets. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to make it further into Egypt.

Its really a shame that the reefs in Eilat are in such bad shape. Hope their re-growing programs actually accomplish something.

I look forward to visiting Egypt for a dedicated dive trip some time in the future.

I was in Caesaria - looking forward to the dive... but the sea conditions were 0 viz and the dive was canceled. Maybe next time.. : /

From legal point of view, solo diving is forbidden by goverment law from 1979.

Israeli Law or Egyptian Law? (Sorry, I don't know where you live)

Israeli Law or Egyptian Law? (Sorry, I don't know where you live)

Sorry, it wasn't clear: Israeli law, of course

In Egypt they'll tell you that guided dives are mandatory- not sure if is by official government law or just "by custom".

Let me put my 5 cents please regarding Eilat :
1. If I have up to 4-5 days and this is the first time for me in the red sea I would stay in Eilat from couple of reasons :
A. Shore and easy dive, Just put tank and jump to the water most of the dives start at the shore and easily you can find yourself over 50 M....
B. No dive -master/Instructor needed, simply team up and enjoy.
C. Sea condition are good (most of the time).
D. Deco Chamber.....(5)
E. time of crossing and traveling...
F. After dive facilities.

2. From legal point of view solo dives are not legal but use the locals to find great sites ! they will not stick to your neck...

3. My favorite club is Coral Sea Divers (www.coralsea.co.il) as it is located in front of the best dive site in the area (the coral reserve) and have worm welcome with high quality renting equipment.

4. Keep in mind the even the Med have some nice sites mainly if you go up to the north (start at Ceasarea beach)

5. cost of the dives in Eilat are the cheapest in the area....

6. If I would like to spend extra day or two - go to Aquba / Jordan

Enjoy any way :kiss2:

I did 8 dives on my trip to Israel. 2 in Tel Aviv. Water is warm, practically no current (for North Carolina standards that is) and low visibility. I was diving with Jordan from Dive Tel Aviv. He is professional and while I really do understand that as an instructor and a guide he has certain responsibilities and this was a mixed group I don't like baby sitting. It is just me really. I can see how some divers actually see this as a benefit.

Then I did two dives in Eilat with Jordan and his friends. Visibility was not as good as in Tel Aviv (just kidding! it was great viz!). This time group was less formal. This was a fun dive for them but poor Jordan can't get out of the instructor mode it seems (it is a good thing as he seems to be born for it!). I was loosely attached to the group and did roam around a bit and take video. Thank you Jordan for letting me do that! I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately the group returned to Tel Aviv after two dives and I grabbed lunch. Dive center helped me finding me a dive buddy for my 3rd dive that day. It was another nice dive on the reef and it was fantastic as well.

Saturday I took the Sinai boat to Taba for 3 dives. Ahmed was our under water guide and he was very flexible on diving as long as he could see us. It was good reef diving. Saw red, green, and yellow frog fish, giant moray eel, plenty of lion fish and clown fish as well as decent size octopus.

Overall great dives. However I still think that best dives I had in my life were of St. Catalina Island (part of the Channel Islands outside Los Angeles, CA).

I did 8 dives on my trip to Israel. 2 in Tel Aviv. Water is warm, practically no current (for North Carolina standards that is) and low visibility. I was diving with Jordan from Dive Tel Aviv. He is professional and while I really do understand that as an instructor and a guide he has certain responsibilities and this was a mixed group I don't like baby sitting. It is just me really. I can see how some divers actually see this as a benefit.

Then I did two dives in Eilat with Jordan and his friends. Visibility was not as good as in Tel Aviv (just kidding! it was great viz!). This time group was less formal. This was a fun dive for them but poor Jordan can't get out of the instructor mode it seems (it is a good thing as he seems to be born for it!). I was loosely attached to the group and did roam around a bit and take video. Thank you Jordan for letting me do that! I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately the group returned to Tel Aviv after two dives and I grabbed lunch. Dive center helped me finding me a dive buddy for my 3rd dive that day. It was another nice dive on the reef and it was fantastic as well.

Saturday I took the Sinai boat to Taba for 3 dives. Ahmed was our under water guide and he was very flexible on diving as long as he could see us. It was good reef diving. Saw red, green, and yellow frog fish, giant moray eel, plenty of lion fish and clown fish as well as decent size octopus.

Overall great dives. However I still think that best dives I had in my life were of St. Catalina Island (part of the Channel Islands outside Los Angeles, CA).

Glad to hear that you enjoyed :) which dive centres you used in TA and eilat ?

Glad to hear that you enjoyed :) which dive centres you used in TA and eilat ?

Dive Tel Aviv in Tel Aviv.

And in Eilat used Marina Divers just to get tanks. Was diving with Jordan and his friends from Dive Tel Aviv on their fun dives on day off.

Then I used Aqua Sports to go to Taba from Eilat.

Back
Top Bottom