Traveling to Israel - Red Sea Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Law...Sort of. But usually misinterpreted.

CDWS (corrupt governing body) basically states a guide must be *present* to provide surface support and logistics for a dive. That means on site (ie at the dive site on shore OR on a boat). It does NOT mean they have to be physically in the water guiding the dive.

However usually the quality of divers you get aren't of the experience to safely plan and execute the dive unassisted so need an in water dive. With GOOD divers in theory the DM can be on site, give a good thorough brief and send a pair off on their own to dive but it's not done that often and certainly not with people they haven't already dived with and trust.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Is it stated in writing somewhere in CDWS website? And are CDWS a real authority anyway? Is CDWS something that all clubs must comply with by law, or just some sort of "recommendation"?

In Israel, for example, the organization similar to CDWS has the authority (by state law) to really close down an operation that does not comply with law, they can take working license from instructors (or not renew it) etc etc, so they are in some way a sort of "scuba police" (and it looks to me they have the same level of popularity as CDWS have in Egypt :wink: )

Not on the website, the guidelines for centres are in a large very hard to read paper document with confusing translations that are sent to dive centres.

They are supposedly a "real authority" and are a branch of the ministry of tourism. It used to be the Egyptian Diving and Lifesaving Federation but took over from them.
Dive centres by law must comply with their regulation. They do have the authority to close down centres and quite often do.

So in theory they're a good thing. However, in reality they're corrupt to the core and causing issues for everybody no matter how legal.

Their rules and guidelines are deliberately (and a cdws rep admitted this) aimed to close all the small dive centres leaving only the very large ones and chains around. The fact that the entire board all own large centres apparently have nothing to do with it. Minimum standards such as 60+ tanks, a very high capacity compressor, 400kg+ of lead and so on are enforced and centres are commonly closed down for being "dangerous" when it turns out they simply dont have enough lead for the standards etc.
Obviously you dont NEED 400kg of lead and 60 tanks if you're a small centre based at a small hotel that gets 10 divers a day but without it you'll be closed for being "dangerous". A freedive centre here was closed recently as it "didnt have enough tanks".

Lots of centres closed by them still operate freely, often in front of the inspectors (backsheesh etc). Some dangerous centres are open and licenced, some perfectly good centres are closed for reasons such as the above.

The instructors also have to be licenced (which obviously means paying them) every year. You have to sit an exam so laughable ive give it to open water students for a laugh (not even qualified OWs) and they've passed. 2 years ago there were complaints it was too easy so they said this year it would be DM level questions on all the main areas. It wasn't - it still asks things like do cone snails make good pets and so on. A complete farce that proves nothing and seems designed to let everyone pass.

At a recent IDC students had to do a business analysis and one of the sections is identifying the biggest threat to your business in your geographical area. It had people of all nationalities from all types of dive centres and spread all round the country. They'd never met before and didnt discuss answers before writing them. Every one of them identified CDWS as the biggest threat to their business independently.

So their problem is standards designed to deliberately close small centres, corruption regarding who gets licences and who gets closed, a deliberate blind eye to closed centres still operating and no enforcement, no useful minimum standard for instructors or guides to pass. And they get money from all sides!

(fwiw its not bitterness on my part - i work for a CDWS licenced centre and have a legal work permit and cdws card myself. Despite that i see every day just how utterly ridiculous and worthless their entire body is.)

OK so this was posted over a year ago, but I felt I had to reply. Aqua Sport runs the dive center at the Hilton Taba. They have three house dives - as well as a very nice three tank boat day. One of the shore dives, black coral. is one of the most amazing little dives. Working at around six meters, you have to go through an opening between two coral heads, and on days that there is a strong current, this can be fun. you work your way down to around 25m going along a 20m wall. And around the corner you arrive at the base of the black corals. two pinnacles going up to about 10m. at the base there are two colonies, about 15 scorpion fish and 10 frog fish! And in between the pinnacles a school of glass fish, so much fun to swim through. One of the other shore dives comes up back through sea grass and you are guaranteed to see sea horses.

Back
Top Bottom