Traveling to Israel - Red Sea Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned how to dive in Israel at Marina Divers Dive Center, www.scuba.co.il It was a great experience and got me started in diving. I think there are plenty of nice sites when you dive in Eilat. It is true that the reefs are in bad condition and Egypt is supposed to have better quality reefs. However, I simply love Israel and would dive there any time. Next time I go to Israel not only will I dive in Eilat but the Mediterranean Sea as well where I expect great visibility when compared to these Texas lakes I am diving in now! Heck yesterday visibility was 1-3 feet vis max! All in all I would say that if your in Israel or plan to go to Israel set aside some time to dive both the Med and Red Sea and enjoy yourself!

Reading through Eliat diving threads with interest as going to be there with a couple of friends for 2 days and will definitely get some dives in.

Wondered if anyone can clarify the need to dive insurance? I have regular travel insurance which covers diving as an adventure sport for medical/accident (the wording says as long as I am certified and as long as we dont go deeper than 30m) One dive shop says it would be sufficient and another says it wouldn't. I just want to know in advance as if I need extra I will get DAN insurance. I can't find any sort of official clarification online. Can anyone help?

I have DAN (their top one) and it works for me. Can't tell you the official thing but I would get DAN :)

Reading through Eliat diving threads with interest as going to be there with a couple of friends for 2 days and will definitely get some dives in.

Wondered if anyone can clarify the need to dive insurance? I have regular travel insurance which covers diving as an adventure sport for medical/accident (the wording says as long as I am certified and as long as we dont go deeper than 30m) One dive shop says it would be sufficient and another says it wouldn't. I just want to know in advance as if I need extra I will get DAN insurance. I can't find any sort of official clarification online. Can anyone help?

Let me try to help, By the law (Israeli) you have to have special diving insurance, you can buy it on the dive shop and it cover you for a year - the total cost is ILS 175 = $46 = € 37 (+/-). another choice is a special insurance for 5 days where you can do at : www.idive.co.il - credit cards are welcomed (of course). I'm using while in Eilat the coralsea where you have US/RU/EU instructors.

hope to see you all in in November

Cheers

I'm traveling to Israel in late June - and I'm considering extending the trip to include some diving in the Red Sea. I would be staying in Eilat - does anyone know any groups that dive out of Eilat or liveaboards that leave from Eilat? Also a good(cheap) accommodation in the area?

I apologize if the information is already on this forum - I will be reading through it today probably through the odd hours of the night. I leave in a week or so and this is kind of last minute so i'm trying to get this figured out asap.

I appreciate all your advice!

Mike
there's a blog entry specific to Eilat Diving, Taba and boat Liveaboard safaris if you google:
" how2scuba.US " and click on blog

Pete

Get DAN insurance. Don't play around with your homeowner's policy. Chamber rides are generally not covered by "regular" travel insurance.

Duplicate - 64kbit egyptian internet causing reposts and timeouts. Mod please delete

Duplicate - 64kbit egyptian internet causing reposts and timeouts. Mod please delete

Sorry, it wasn't clear: Israeli law, of course

In Egypt they'll tell you that guided dives are mandatory- not sure if is by official government law or just "by custom".

Law...Sort of. But usually misinterpreted.

CDWS (corrupt governing body) basically states a guide must be *present* to provide surface support and logistics for a dive. That means on site (ie at the dive site on shore OR on a boat). It does NOT mean they have to be physically in the water guiding the dive.

However usually the quality of divers you get aren't of the experience to safely plan and execute the dive unassisted so need an in water dive. With GOOD divers in theory the DM can be on site, give a good thorough brief and send a pair off on their own to dive but it's not done that often and certainly not with people they haven't already dived with and trust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom