Traveling with your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mochosla

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys. I'm going to Cancun and want to dive with my daughter while we are there. My question is, should I take my regulators and computers with me? If so, do they let you take them in your carry-on bag with you or do they need to be checked in with your luggage? Or, should I just rent it from the dive place? I'm looking at this place to dive with. Any recommendations?

Cancun Scuba Center | Scuba Diving Courses - PADI Certifications

Thank you!

Bring your gear in carry on! Also carry on your log book so nothing can happen to it. I had a suitcase full of gear "lost" by an airline and lost my log!

A regulator bag with DC and log book will easily fit under the seat in front of you. BCD and fins, not so much. I think that there has been quite a bit of discussion about this, and what it boils down to is personal preference. What do you want to schlep vs what do you want to rent. I have a tendency to bring it all, but most of the people I see in the Caribbean only bring their masks. Some bring regs, computer and mask. Others also bring their own wetsuit. Bringing an extra suitcase will cost you $50.00 each way, so it boils down to $100.00 minus rental cost vs wanting to use your own gear.

I'm with Tbone...I can carry all my gear, macbook, chargers, clothes, personal hygiene kit, and everything else in my carryon and "personal item". It's all in what type of gear you own and how you pack. Being former Navy, the packing thing is easy.

When you say you want to dive with your daughter do you mean "do two dives" or "do two days of diving" or "do two dives a day for a week"?

As far as I'm concerned, the benefit of bringing your own gear varies directly with the amount of diving you'll be doing.

I carry everything on, including fins. Let them lose my clothes, I'll just keep diving.

The ability to pack my rebreather in a carry on was a factor in choosing it!

Thank you for all the responses. We are diving one day, 2 dives. My question was more about whether or not you are allowed by TSA and the airlines to bring scuba gear in your carry-on but judging by your responses, looks like you can. I'm only bringing the regulators, mask and snorkel. Everything else I can just get from the dive shop as it includes the full setup. Thank you again!

Last week I took a full set of gear except fins in my carry-on. The Dive Rite XT's are a little too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you pack scuba gear, make sure you don't have loose items in your bag. I just came back from Truk and my bag was ripped open between Guam and Cairns. The only item I lost was a lifeline radio as it was loose in the bag.

So the damage was one destroyed bag $250, one TSA lock $15, one lifeline radio $420

Thanks United for not responding to my claim to date other than the initial report and local manager trying to find the radio. The claims section of United swallows up your paperwork and apparently "Nothing"??? after 1 month.

SO if you pack gear in your bag, make sure its not loose, place it in BCD pockets or dry bag etc so it cannot drop out. In that way if your bag is damaged, at least there is a chance it all holds together.

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom