Travelling with a housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I sure am not going to checking in my video equipment when travelling to the Carribean this year so am wondering if Pelican cases are the best way to carry the equipment. They make a large carry on size but then does that make the weight of the carry-on excessive?

I used to use a roller bag (I check everything now) - sometimes a backpack type, sometimes a standard carryon roller...I used the padded dividers and clothes. The normal suitcase types worked really well and everything fit nicely. Pelicans and such are very heavy and some airlines are getting antsy about weights - even in carryons.

Do you ever worry about never seeing your equipment again? I would say the video equipment is easily the most expensive part of my diving equipment. I wouldn't have a problem checking it in on the return journey providing I am carrying all my tapes with me but to think of not having my video after diving in murky grey waters for most of the year could be classified as being upsetting. :D Which insurance do you use to cover it and is theft covered?

Nope, it's insured and I can survive my holiday without it. Not my first choice, of course, but I do check before I go to see what is available should I have equipment fail or get lost or whatever. There are usually hire options for worst case scenarios if I can't get replacement stuff in time.

I use DEPP and they cover almost anything really.

There are a couple of airports (San Juan comes to mind) that I wouldn't check my stuff through, but pretty much that is a very short list.

For me, the hassle of carrying it isn't worth it.

Here's what I do. I have a the largest legal roller you can buy. I think it's 22x14x9. Made by Travelpro. In it goes my housing(Amphibico Evo) with the camera(HC1) in one of those soft padded lens bags inside. Batteries/charger for the camcorder and tapes also. My regulator(the other expensive thing I own - it's a T2) and as many clothes etc. as I can stuff in. Laptop in the flat pocket on the outside. Near as I can tell, I've got $7K in the case - not about to check that unless it's one of those at the plane check-ins and I can watch it being loaded.

So far I've been stopped at every security checkpoint and hand-checked but no one has yet asked to look inside the housing. I strap it in using the clothing straps and no one's even asked me to remove it yet. I have been "sniffed' twice though. My old poly housing used to make it through pretty often, but this one's thick aluminum and I think they can't see inside it. Otherwise I'd probably have been busted about the camera by now.

Insurance is through Senn, Dunn, Marsh etc. (DAN) I'm fully covered for loss but that's not going to do a lot of good when your stuff gets lost/stolen enroute. So that's why I carry it on. Also I can handle it better than they do checked luggage. I saw my divebag fall off the conveyor once in Dallas, they picked it right up, but it was still a 3-4' drop. I agree with Alcina, I avoid San Juan whenever possible.

I, like alcina, check all my dive gear and housing with ports as well. I carry on my cameras, lenses, laptop and dive computers.

I carry my housing on board with the camcorder inside. Both are in a Pelican case that fits in the overhead. They are insured with DEPP, but if I'm traveling anywhere unusual I'm usually going there to shoot video so having it disappear is NOT an option. Of course the baggage inspections in some countries have tested my housing for bomb materials... and found them! I assume it was something in the internal PCB's that triggered the positive result.

If you can carry on the your cam and regs,computers, with you. My wife works for the airlines she said that they then tend to not take care of bags. " I have Storys" I use to carry my cam and housing in a carry on with no trouble at all. You're going to get an extra search but just get use to it. Now I looking into inc for my stuff, just not sure which one to go with yet but its a good indea. I have a new pelican case that I'll use this year for the frist time. Again good idea. Mark

I carried my housing (loaded with camera, etc...) in the largest "pilot bag" that carryon regulations would allow. I was able to put most of the auxilary gear in with it.
One note...my housing is a DIY. Talk about getting the once over at the x-ray station! With batteries, wires and such, those folks went bug-eyed when they saw it go through! Yup, I got to stand in the little booth to get "sniffed", standing there barefoot with my pockets pulled out. Fun, fun...but I'd do it again.

Guba:
I carried my housing (loaded with camera, etc...) in the largest "pilot bag" that carryon regulations would allow. I was able to put most of the auxilary gear in with it.
One note...my housing is a DIY. Talk about getting the once over at the x-ray station! With batteries, wires and such, those folks went bug-eyed when they saw it go through! Yup, I got to stand in the little booth to get "sniffed", standing there barefoot with my pockets pulled out. Fun, fun...but I'd do it again.
BOY BEEN THERE DONE THAT. I SPENT A 1/2 HR GOING THROUGH THAT. ITS VIDEO STUFF. LONG FLT....YET I'LL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN THANK THE LORD FOR THE OCEAN....MARK:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom