Travelling with a housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to carry-on my regs, housing, camcorder and light heads. I use a regular wheeled carry on and use clothing for padding. At a minimum, the camcorder and light heads. Both are relatively small and don't weigh much. After having the light heads get damaged in my checked bag, they come with me on the plane.

Thanks for sharing your different ways of travelling. I think I shall be going with a pelican case carrying it on. I have a dry run in March without a connecting flight but in May I have a connecting flight through Atlanta and will know if it is fine carrying my equipment.

I use the Pelican 1620 roller case for the housings and other large items, but I carry the cameras with me in my carry on along with my laptop and regulators.

For those who travel with video lights, be sure to disconnect the light heads from the battery before a flight. You might also want to tell the security people about the equipment and hang around while they scan it in case they have any questions. They said the lights were a hazardous, heat-generating item and needed to be completely disconnected.

That was advice I got yesterday after being called off the plane and running back to the check in area 20 minutes before the flight was scheduled to depart, so I could disconnect the lights since I didn't want them to do it for me.

Other than that, my camera usually sits inside of the housing and goes inside a Pelican case. Either checked in or carried on, depending on how much other stuff I have.

mikerault:
I use the Pelican 1620 roller case for the housings and other large items, but I carry the cameras with me in my carry on along with my laptop and regulators.

Do you carry on the 1620 or check it? as i thought it was to big for a over head bin?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom