Tried the jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Today I tried the jets for the 2nd time. As a confirmed Bio Fin user, they took some gittin' used to. I met my buddy Karen for a dive today. She just finished a PADI AI course in FL, so she wanted to get back into cold water.

I *think* I'm figuring out the frog kick. I could do it reasonably well with the Bio's, but found I had to use a different technique with the jets. Once I sort of figured it out - it took less effort to go farther with each kick (the long way of saying "more efficient"). I found I could turn and stop better, but again, had to figure out the different technique. I tried backing up (never did figure it out in the Bio's) - after a few tries, I actually reversed, not far, but backwards!! WooHoo! Still needs a lot of work, but it's a start.

Obviously I need to re-train my legs - I found a couple times that I was trying to use Bio fin kicks and getting nowhere:D. Meanwhile - I didn't knock myself out this time:rolleyes:

Don't be hard on yourself. There are days when I consider myself lucky I haven't managed to inflict bodily harm on myself or others. It happens to the best of us.

Re: The Jets... you're right about different fin technique. But I really do love the paddle fins (I use either IDI Power Fins or Turtles) once you get used to them. I find everything from trim to buoyancy control to control in the water column is just exponentially improved.

Did my own drysuit pool session last night with turtles. (The turtles are a better fit over the boots than the jets.)

Any tips?

I found using the turtles really hard work though I guess it doesn't help wearing a drysuit with thinsulate in a 29C swimming pool :)

Been alternating between my Turtles and Biofins lately ... now that I feel I've somewhat "mastered" the Turtles I wanted to make some comparisons.

I really like both fins, but for completely different reasons. The Biofins provide more power in current ... and with considerably less effort, but the Turtles are much more maneuverable, and have a really nice glide following a kick. Overall, I prefer the Bio's for dives where I know I'm going to be working against current, or travelling long distances ... and I prefer the Turtles for dives where I just want to "tour" and take my time.

I can scull just fine in the Biofins, and heli OK but not "spin" on my axis as I can with the Turtles. But I have never figured out reverse in the Bio's ... heck, haven't really figured it out all that well with the Turtles yet either, but I'm working on it.

Today I loaned my Turtles to a fellow diver who's been wearing Jets, and he says the Jets have more power to them ... but it may have had something to do with the fact that the foot pocket was just a bit too wide for him and the fins were somewhat wobbly on his feet.

Oh, and dbulmer ... one tip for using the Turtles ... use less leg and more ankle for sculling. I found that when I tried the frog kick I'd gotten used to with the Bio's, it wasn't efficient. But keeping my knees more stationary and using my ankles to power the fin seemed to work much better. Try it and let us know how it works for you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver,
Thanks for the tip - will try it out in a couple of days.
The probelm with the Jetfins was they don't completely cover my drysuit boots whereas the Turtles do. Since I'm to a drysuit, new to heavy fins and inexperienced it's gonna be fun !!! :)

Ok - forgive me for being a dork here, but what are jets? Obviously they are fins, but I don't know what kind.

I use Twin Jets, so I was curious if that's what you were talking about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom