Trip in August - non-diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
Was suggested to post it here instead, so, here we go ...

Some of my friends, non-divers, are planning a trip in August in South East Asia. And they are asking me for suggestions. Their primary objective is to have a relaxing trip on the beach, watersports like snorkelling and some land activities. They are not planning on learning how to dive anytime soon but are interested in trying out maybe the discover scuba-diving progamme offered.

Some of the places that have been mentioned include Boracay Philippines, Sabah, Bali and Samui. What do you think?

The varieties of activities that my friends will be able to do is quite an important factor, and my first impression is that Sabah maybe the place to go. However, I also heard that things there are pretty spread out and it is not easy to get around there. However, I'm not so sure as I don't really care much about those "land activities" as I travel. Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations or tips?

before making your plans for boracay....

here some FYI on other outdoor sport some of PPD are into :

Spoon - Barangay Pasaway Kapitan : is or rather was into outdoor activities. even spelunking

Axua - now into 4 X 4

clgsamson - island hopping, he can provide social strata of boracay area (places where you may find a set of social class in Boracay), reading , Photographer (so if any of your friends want to have a prof pic taken , set up a session with this guy)

Jonix - has a new set of hobby, he is into jumping off planes, expert in activities up in Subic area. LOTs of water sports here.

waterfall2.jpg
in cebu drop by Kawasan Falls - picnic area - cool mountian fresh falls and natural swimming pools (2 of them) short hike

in Victorias, Negros Occidental provice- a hike around the Mountain of Mt. Kanlaon you will see huge fruit tree bats circling up around the entire Mountain Resort. they got swimming pools there and some water paddling stuff- picnic area

Sagada / Rice terraces - cool mountain area -Spoon would have more details on this. reco : skip Baguio City for it's traffic and pollution

Bohol - for the poor Tarsiers, wide eyed midgets.
girl_with_monkey.jpg

Anilao (near the pier) - wind surfing

Taal Lake - check out Taal Yacht Club they got water sports as well . by the famous Taal Volcano !

aside from Boracay, Alona Beach in Bohol is very nice cause you can see the tarziers, do a river cruise, and go to the chocolate hills.

Thanks for all the info.
By the way, I just recall someone telling before that August is the storm season in Philippines. So, could anyone tell me how's the weather like in Bohol, Coron and Boracay in August?
Thanks again.

it really depends on the storm path at the time.

best is to try to keep tab on the weather. if you could check here daily while you are here and we would surely keep tab on the weather conditions if there are any any weather disturbance at that time... unless we are all out scuba diving...

:D

places i've been to and recommend are the following:

puerto princesa

tour packages usually include the following: butterfly garden, mitra farm overlooking honday bay, crocodile farm, St. Paul's subterranean river (awesome stalactite and stalagmite formations), monkey trail, ugong rock hike, island hopping in honda bay

cagayan de oro and camiguin

eco-tours, white water rafting adventure :thumbs-up camiguin is a tiny island that you can reach through a 30-minute boat ride from CdO - tours include sunken cemetery, hot springs, cold springs, lots of waterfalls you can reach through hiking, white island (a strip of sand bar with white sand where you can sun bathe, snorkel...). jops can add more here since he's from CdO :)

an adventure in the northern part of the country is also fun if you're in to loooong road trips :D

cebu pacific now flies to laoag... soon those loooooooooong northern roadtrips will be a thing of the past...

unless you're on a budget in w/c case you might want to get them j-lo implants to pad the journey

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom