Trip Report: 6-13 March Hotel Cozumel and Blue XT Sea Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

talonraid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the title indicates we stayed at Hotel Cozumel and dove with Blue XT Sea Diving. Here's a brief run down on the trip:

Hotel Cozumel: This is the first time we stayed at this hotel and it will probably be the last. Read on for more....
Positives: The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly and the air conditioner worked just fine. The hot water was damned hot, but pressure could vary throughout the day. Not unusual for island accomodations from past experience.
Negatives: The all-inclusive food was mediocre at best (Texas taste buds used for this study). We usually eat on the economy and actually missed doing so on this trip. We have stayed at some other all-inclusives and the food at Hotel Cozumel was rated on the bottom of our taste test list. The pool was clean, but the one day we considered getting into the hot tub...it was gross and I'm not a guy who worries about hygene much. While this may be a perfect place for some, it just wasn't our style.

Neutrals: The beds were the stereotypical hard-as-concrete Coz issue beds, so it was exactly as expected. There is a dive operation on the property but we did not use them. A few observations about the on-site dive op: each morning there were mobs of people waiting to board their cattle boats. I'm sure that they run a quality operation or they wouldn't be in business for this long on the island. Also, in all fairness there were some small boats that pulled up to the pier to pick up smaller numbers of people, which as I understand you pay a little extra for, so that option is there. Lastly, I did overhear some people discussing the fact that they had requested a small boat but were moved to a larger cattle boat due to space. So, while I'm sure they're a great op, I'm glad we stuck with Blue XT Sea!

Blue XT Sea Diving: We reserved 6 days of 2 tank morning dives before we arrived on the island. After we arrived we added a few afternoon dives and a twilight/night dive.

On the first day we dove with Arturo as the DM and Adan was the boat captain. The remaining days were were with Pedro Pablo as the DM and Hector "Mago" as the captain. Santos always takes great care of our gear and we were pleased with the diving overall. The dives and service were awesome as always. There were a few days in which the boat was delayed 5-15 minutes due to late arrival of tanks, but that is an issue that was being worked by Christi and the new manager of the tank fill station.

The water temp was 76-79 degrees according to my computer but the air temperature ranged from mid 70s to low 80s so it actually felt much cooler than in the summer or fall when I have been to Coz in the past. I will probably take my 5mm if I ever go back in early March again. The last dive day was the only day I didn't get cold and the air temp was about 80-82.

We saw tons of turtles and nurse sharks, a few octopi both day and night, some tiny sea horses, splendid toadfish and the usual cast of characters. The disturbing thing was all the damned lionfish! We saw at least 10-15 of them and that means there were plenty more where that came from. The Divemasters are allowed to spear them now in an attempt to erradicate or at least slow them down, but I'm afraid it is too little too late. Pedro Pable speared a number of them on the dives and turned them over to the park police along with data such as depth, location, time, etc. for study.

All in all another great trip to the beautiful island of Cozumel!

Thanks for the report. Thats great the boys are taking time to send in the habitat reports. Anyone can actually do that now. I hope people that are eradicating them will do this too.
I was a little chilly this time in feb. so I used a 2.5mil core warmer that was perfect for me.

Thanks for the report. Thats great the boys are taking time to send in the habitat reports. Anyone can actually do that now. I hope people that are eradicating them will do this too.
I was a little chilly this time in feb. so I used a 2.5mil core warmer that was perfect for me.

Talonraid - glad you had a great trip! I enjoyed dinner with the three of you and the gym time with your other half :) Looking forward to seeing you again very soon!

Kev - just for clarification - it is still ONLY MP Guides (those who have the credential from the marine park) that are permitted to spear/kill/eradicate/remove the LIon Fish.

Divers are welcome and encouraged to help spot and report the Lionfish, but not to take action. This is a safety precaution and to keep the lines clear according to MP officials.

I confirmed this face to face with the Director of the marine park last week as well as the lead educator/researcher with the Cozumel Marine park just today when they dropped off some additional supplies for my crew. The MP team is even teaching seminars at each dive shop for the crews on proper handling/eradication etc. - I am not clear as to how they are handling this for the Lionfish Tournaments they will be sponsoring - I need to clarify that point with them.

Talonraid - glad you had a great trip! I enjoyed dinner with the three of you and the gym time with your other half :) Looking forward to seeing you again very soon!

Kev - just for clarification - it is still ONLY MP Guides (those who have the credential from the marine park) that are permitted to spear/kill/eradicate/remove the LIon Fish.

Divers are welcome and encouraged to help spot and report the Lionfish, but not to take action. This is a safety precaution and to keep the lines clear according to MP officials.

I confirmed this face to face with the Director of the marine park last week as well as the lead educator/researcher with the Cozumel Marine park just today when they dropped off some additional supplies for my crew. The MP team is even teaching seminars at each dive shop for the crews on proper handling/eradication etc. - I am not clear as to how they are handling this for the Lionfish Tournaments they will be sponsoring - I need to clarify that point with them.

He is guilty of that, but I watched him take out 5 times as many as any of the dm's I've dove with. Good job Kev!!
10n5bp1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom