"Non-Economy" Dive Trip - What would your best trip look like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I see quite a few "economy" based questions for Cozumel diving. And I do love diving Coz due to the value I get for a dollar.

But if you weren't on a really tight budget, and you could stay where you want and eat where you want and dive with whomever you want, what would that look like?

We have always stayed at El Cantil (no complaints), dove with either Blue Xt Sea, or now Bottomtime divers (no complaints), and then eat at nice restaurants at night, and split breakfast / lunch in the condo or a close by restaurant.

I usually dive ~ 4 days of the week and then we explore the island 1 or 2 days of the week.

At the end of our week's vacation, I always ask myself "what could we do that would make the next trip better"?

What would make your next trip better?

What would make your next trip better?
Renting Paul Allen's yacht parked out front for a week and jump on his private dive tender anytime with a Coz DM of course. Name your budget.............

When I'm feeling flush, I prefer diving with Aldora and staying at the convenient Villa Aldora.

As for food, this is Mexico! The less you spend, the better the food.

Interesting question. Short answer: I probably wouldn't change that much, actually. But here are some ideas:

Lodging: Though I like to go economically in general, I tend to go really cheap on "a guys' dive trip", especially with lodging. But on family trips we usually try to find a fairly nice AirBnB on the water if possible, either north of town or not too far south. So, I'd probably just get a really nice AirBnB on the water. We're not big on AIs, because we like to get out and go to a lot of different restaurants that we've added to our list over the years. And for breakfast kind of prefer to just have strong coffee and some pastries or other quick breakfast in the condo usually.

Diving: Very happy diving with 3P, so more $$ would not tempt me there. However, if there was some very big convenience factor -- for example, staying at Villa Aldora and also diving with Aldora, I might be tempted just for the convenience [Edit: wrote that before seeing Lorenzoid's comment :)]. Also, if the divers on the trip were ready for it, I might consider paying extra $$ to visit some less common dive sites -- either north of the marine park, or on the eastern side. Oh, and might add a couple more night dives -- we always have good night dives in Cozumel.

Dining: Honestly, we range from cheap Spanish-only locals' restaurants way back in town to some of the touristy restaurants, and I love them all (sometimes love the locals' restaurants more). Might be tempted to add a night or two at Buccanos at Night or Kondesa.

Activities: might be tempted to do a private snorkel tour. We have some non-diving family members and we like to do 3-reef snorkels together, which can sometimes be a bit crowded on the boat and bunched up in the water. Would also consider pricier activities like whale shark tours (in season) and perhaps a nice tour to Chichen Itza.

So, some of those might be nice. But in the end @ggunn has the best answer to this question above!

Stay at Villa Escondida, dive with Tres Pelicanos, happy hour & dinner with the “usual suspects” at a couple dozen places I’ve been to before (we add new ones from time to time). In other words stay with friends, dive with friends, & eat with friends. For me that’s what Coz is all about. Didn’t get that way overnight, but like a lot of good things it’s about the journey not just the destination. If I want something more “exotic” I go elsewhere. All IMHO, YMMV. 😊

Cozumel only or worldwide?

My dream trip would be a 13 night LOB cruise to Bikini Atoll :cool:

Why restrict it to diving and possibilities in the real world? I would like to go back to sometime in the early 1980's and go to a three night stand of the Grateful Dead in the Colorado Red Rocks amphitheater.

But for Cozumel diving I still say I would just stay longer. :D

When I'm feeling flush, I prefer diving with Aldora and staying at the convenient Villa Aldora.

As for food, this is Mexico! The less you spend, the better the food.
The further away you get from Quintana Roo, the better the food - at any price range.

As for Coz, I haven’t been to the caves in the island. I’d be interested in checking them out, seeing how they are different from the ones under the main land.

If we have to stick to the sea, then my only “splurge” would likely be a private charter and only friends rather than a commercial op.

The further away you get from Quintana Roo, the better the food - at any price range.

As for Coz, I haven’t been to the caves in the island. I’d be interested in checking them out, seeing how they are different from the ones under the main land.

If we have to stick to the sea, then my only “splurge” would likely be a private charter and only friends rather than a commercial op.
A couple of things...

As for the food, I have never eaten anywhere in PdC but I am very happy with the choices on Cozumel.

As for diving with friends, after a day or two diving with strangers, they become friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom