Trip Report for Sat, Aug 15th, Destin off shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your pictures are always such a pleasure to see. Be sure to keep them coming. This time, I think the jellyfish is best; it's very striking.

Thanks for your kind comments... will have Sunday's dive pictures up later.

Have to agree that the moon jelly is very nice. I didn't know they had wet lenses for the g-10. What brand of housing are you using?

I considered upgrading to a G-10 but heard they were more on the wide angle end as opposed to macro. Have you had any problems getting good macro shots???

-ap

Have to agree that the moon jelly is very nice. I didn't know they had wet lenses for the g-10. What brand of housing are you using?

I considered upgrading to a G-10 but heard they were more on the wide angle end as opposed to macro. Have you had any problems getting good macro shots???

-ap

I have the Canon housing... and yea, they now have a wide angle wet lens for it.

Macro...will see if I can find a really close one (note: about 75% of what I take is in macro... I zoom a lot to frame things)..

From Sunday (sorry)...this little guy is just over 1/4 inch long.. those are sand grains he (she?) is sitting on:

blenny905.jpg

I have never used a better uw camera...and I love fuji cameras... so it took a lot to convince me.

Macro is one of it's strong aspects...

Hetland, if you use a very, very narrow range of setting, the G10 is equal in resolution to a 50D...and would be a huge jump up from any of the regular Canon's...no P&S is even close.. if and only if you can shoot with it's ideal settings.

Here is a land picture I took this weekend.. cropped and made small enough to upload:

lizard902.jpg

This guy was less than 3/4 of an inch long...

There's more than resolution to image quality though. The 50D will outshine any PnS with exposure lattitude, per pixel sharpness, flexibility across different ISOs with clean images; due to a much better sensor, and much more flexibility in glass.

I agree, the G10 is an awesome PnS, probably the best available at the moment; BUT comparing it to a mid-grade dSLR, or even a lower-end dSLR, you have to bring up the differences in image quality(which is determined by alot more than resolution).

I've got two 20x16 posters on my wall that were printed from files from two different cameras.

One was taken by a newer(2007 model) 10mp PnS, one was taken by an ancient(2001 model) 5mp dSLR, and the detail in the prints are pretty much identical.

I'm not at all hating on your camera, I really like the G10s. BUT... its not comparable to a dSLR in any important aspect... unless posting low res photos on the internet is your goal(not a knock, I REALLY enjoy your pictures).

There's more than resolution to image quality though. The 50D will outshine any PnS with exposure lattitude, per pixel sharpness, flexibility across different ISOs with clean images; due to a much better sensor, and much more flexibility in glass.

I agree, the G10 is an awesome PnS, probably the best available at the moment; BUT comparing it to a mid-grade dSLR, or even a lower-end dSLR, you have to bring up the differences in image quality(which is determined by alot more than resolution).

I've got two 20x16 posters on my wall that were printed from files from two different cameras.

One was taken by a newer(2007 model) 10mp PnS, one was taken by an ancient(2001 model) 5mp dSLR, and the detail in the prints are pretty much identical.

I'm not at all hating on your camera, I really like the G10s. BUT... its not comparable to a dSLR in any important aspect... unless posting low res photos on the internet is your goal(not a knock, I REALLY enjoy your pictures).

At their best.. the G10 and the 50D (which is far better than most DSLR's) have the same per pixel resolution....I do a lot of large prints with both and it is impossible to tell the difference..and honestly, they (at their best) are far better than film was... even shooting iso 64 (which was mostly what I did).

Don't believe me.. compare DPreviews images and test...they have the actual images to down load, if you don't believe them.

But you are very correct about the advantages of a DSLR... but I have the advantage of shooting about 90 % of my images at the absolute best settings for the G10...strobes are a wonder thing...and the edge sharpness on the G10 is amazing...I have to buy L lens for my wife to get that same quality....and you have no idea how much that hurts.

I wish I could post some of these in the 15 meg size, some are amazing...

Prices for L glass are posted up all over the places where I shop for photography equipment, I know how much it costs :) I buy the weather sealed Olympus lenses for my dSLRs, prices are similar to L glass, the pro grade stuff is even more unreasonably priced - LOL

I checked the review on DPReview for the G10, there's no comparison to the 50D, but they do compare it to the 1000D. G10 out resolves it, but the images are cleaner, sharper, and more natural looking on the 1000D with both at the lowest ISO levels. The G10s are great, its a great PnS! After you start pushing the ISO, the 1000D's image quality starts to really outclass.

The 50D is a great mid-range dSLR, but all the current mid-range dSLRs are incredibly impressive. The differences in current models has gotten tighter in similar quality ranges.

Hetland, if you use a very, very narrow range of setting, the G10 is equal in resolution to a 50D...and would be a huge jump up from any of the regular Canon's...no P&S is even close.. if and only if you can shoot with it's ideal settings.

By narrow range, do you mean narrow fov (wide aperture) or a number of different settings used together, like a specific film speed + certain f-stop + shutter speed = narrow range of setting?

I've been told that a wet macro lens can fix the lack of fine detail I'm getting with my A570is, but I don't want to drop all that cash if I can get closer to SLR quality images with the G10.

I guess I'm apprehensive about the G10 because I have read some negative reports from divers, but I can't argue with your images, they look great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom