Trip Report from Sunset House on Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Review at Grand Cayman 2011 or below.

We had been to Grand Cayman back in April of 2008 and when I was looking for a place to go diving this winter, Grand Cayman quickly rose to the short-list. In 2008 there was a direct flight from Boston to GC, but no such luck this time. However, a trip time of 6 1/2 hours felt like nothing compared to our 37 hour return trip from Borneo last October.

1920-Cayman-2011-1319298.jpg

Back in 2008 we stayed for a week at Cobalt Coast. We enjoyed it but were disappointed that we were only able to shore dive 2 of the days we were there due to waves at Cobalt Coast. We checked out Sunset House back then for dinner one evening at their popular bar called "My Bar". While sitting there we scoped out the dive operation and noticed that the seas were calm, while over at Cobalt Coast, shore diving (even with a pier) was not recommended that day. I decided then that our next trip to CG would be to Sunset House.
It turned out to be a good decision.
Sunset House is located about a 10 to 15 minute walk west of downtown Georgetown and a stroll downtown for dinner was convenient. However, do note that there are no sidewalks for most of that walk and you need to be careful. I would recommend bringing a dive light for the walk if in the dark.

The diving at Sunset House and Grand Cayman in general is some of better diving in the Caribbean for certain things. The Cayman Islands are right next to the deepest trenches in the Caribbean and that seems to contribute to a general higher visibility than some other islands. GC is a pretty good place to see turtles, Southern Stingrays and Eagle Rays. If you want a guarantee of seeing stingrays then go to Sting Ray City, where you will get your fill of them. We went there in 2008, so skipped it this time. Some of the folks that did go this year brought back stories of Manta Rays being seen there. I can't verify that.
GC has lots of dive sites that have great swim-throughs. The aquascape near the drop-off can be breathtaking with the good viz and there are plenty of sandy areas where you can find garden eels, rays and plenty of free roaming conch.

Not all Caribbean islands have good shore diving options. GC is one of the lucky ones. Good shore diving can be found around the island, but only those on the sheltered west side can be counted on for access. The two shore sites we dove this trip were Sunset House (of course) and Turtle Reef.

Turtle reef is a fantastic dive with a resident school of pretty large tarpon. You can rent a tank from Sun Divers right there, then walk through the Cracked Conch, an open air restaurant/bar, to get to the stairs down to the water.

Accommodations:
We got the regular courtyard room as part of a dive package. There were reports that the rooms were dated, etc and this was true, but they met our needs just fine with one exception. There was no table or chair in the room and for someone who needs to charge batteries, change lenses, and look at pictures this was a problem. I ended up improvising with the bureau and using the laptop while sitting on the bed, but it is a major shortcoming of the rooms.The rooms at Cobalt Coast are definitely nicer, but we came to dive, not hang out in the room.
The food at Sunset House's restaurants was pretty good and you could tell that they got a lot of local folks coming in for a drink and dinner as well as the divers that were staying there.

Shore diving at Sunset House was enjoyable. There were plenty of small creatures that demand you to slow down to find them. There was a resident octopus in the sea pool that was fun to follow as he hunted.
1920-Cayman-2011-2020666-2.jpg

And of course there is the mermaid statue, of which, according to Jessica, I was taking too many pictures.

1920-Cayman-2011-1319280.jpg

Dive operations: Sunset Divers is the dive operation at Sunset House and they are a professionally run organization, but were also fun to be with. After an initial 'scope you out' dive you were pretty free to do your own dives as long as you stayed out of deco and were back to the boat within an hour. Perhaps due to the make-up of the divers on the boat while we were there (older and for the most part, overweight), they would often leave a site to go find another one if there was any current. No drift dives here. On more than one occasion we went to a third site before they were OK with us jumping in.
Only one boat per site in GC. We never ran into another group of divers on any sites.

Kittiwake. Over the last few months, they towed the Kittiwake down from Norfolk, VA and sank her just off of seven mile beach on January 5th. She is a fun wreck to dive. Being so new you can still a see parts of her that are not destroyed by salt water yet. One example of this is the mirrors. which can't have more than a few weeks left as actual mirrors.

800-Cayman-2011-2020399.jpg

When we dove the Kittiwake, we were fortunate to have a large school of horse-eye jacks accompany us as well as a graceful eagle ray.

if interested, more pix at Grand Cayman 2011

Last edited:
Nice report and great pictures. We enter using the sea pool all the time. Never thought to actually look for anything in there.

Thanks the picture link. Really good shots. Really liked your Kittiwake pics.

nice report and pix...do the locals still get together at My Bar and play dominos?.....I can remember many spirited games played there during the evenings.....can't wait to get back there this summer

nice report and pix...do the locals still get together at My Bar and play dominos?.....I can remember many spirited games played there during the evenings.....can't wait to get back there this summer
We saw plenty of locals come into My Bar, but I don't recall seeing any dominos out. But my face was in my camera most of the time reviewing my shots when we were at My Bar, so they might possibly have been there.

Thanks for posting the review. Love the photos; what camera/strobes do you use? Really good macros.

I stayed at Sunset House last summer. Didn't see anything nearly as interesting in the sea pool as your octopus.

Look forward to going back someday. My only complaint was the 72 CF tanks they used. If you wanted larger, you had to bring your own. Don't suppose that's changed, has it?

Thanks for posting the review. Love the photos; what camera/strobes do you use? Really good macros.

Thanks. I use an olympus E-PL1 and a couple of Inon s2000 strobes. See picture below. More info at Scuba Diving

Look forward to going back someday. My only complaint was the 72 CF tanks they used. If you wanted larger, you had to bring your own. Don't suppose that's changed, has it?
They still use the 72's.. beats me why they use them. I did ask for 80's before I booked and they had a few that they could spare.

Attachments

• GC_SunsetHouse1920-03437.jpg
    GC_SunsetHouse1920-03437.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 715
Frank, it was a pleasure diving with you and your wife (I was the solo traveler diving with the tech gear setup). I wasn't aware that you were a member here.

Albeit not anywhere near the quality of your photos, here's a link to some of the photos I shot (some day I'll get some strobes):

https://picasaweb.google.com/yelloduc/GrandCayman2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCKDO2PiW0p_LSw&feat=directlink

Hi Ben,
Loved your pix, especially the ones of the blennies and the cavern ones too. Some of those would have been perfect if you had a strobe.
We enjoyed diving with you too. Yep. I remember the tech gear.. 2 computers and neither one does a 15 foot 3 minute countdown for you. :wink:
Jessica says hi!

2 computers and neither one does a 15 foot 3 minute countdown for you.
03.gif
Smarty pants aren't we:D.

In Grand Cayman, it is illegal to take Lionfish without a permit. IMHO, it's a shortsighted law that will ultimately bite them in the trousers. As I understand it, they do have a culling once a month.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom