Trip to Honolulu and Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a lot of beginner divers diving off our shores here. Scottietheduck works for Kaimana Divers and I've heard nothing but good things about his operation. Let the divemaster know your concerns about currents and they should be able to accommodate, even if that accommodation is teaching you how to deal with a current.

In regards to the YO- you can get some pretty nasty currents ripping through there. It can also be a really fun dive. We do have lots of dives that are much calmer if you are still worried.

For Honolulu, I vote for Gabe (goes by scottitheduck here) and his crew at Kaimana Divers (Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kaimana Divers | Dive Oahu with the pros). A great group that loves what they do and are professional about it while still having fun. Definitely plenty of sites that are beginner level around here. Just make sure you make any concerns known when you're scheduling the dive and with the guide the day of. If you'd rather stay shallow, most charters around here do 2-tank shallow/shallow dives in the afternoon. Otherwise most morning charters are 2-tank deep/shallow dives.

I gotta question for those taking care of Oahu visitors: Is there any call for South Shore shore diving? Thinking of Lanai Lookout and Blowhole and the adventurous dives like that. Would you feel comfortable taking tourists on dives like those?

And yet another vote for Gabe/scottitheduck at Kaimana divers here. We did our first 'real' dives fresh out of class with them and despite the bad weather had great dives. I think he schedules less experienced divers in the afternoon; the more challenging sites are for the morning charter.

I gotta question for those taking care of Oahu visitors: Is there any call for South Shore shore diving? Thinking of Lanai Lookout and Blowhole and the adventurous dives like that. Would you feel comfortable taking tourists on dives like those?

I don't have an answer, as I have not been to those sites, yet, but I, also, am interested in hearing from others that have done them before.

I decidedly don't take tourists or beginners with me for a few reasons, the first being that I tend to dive more "adventurous" spots. I think you'd be hard pressed to find somebody who will take beginners shore diving on the south shore of Oahu.

Lanai Lookout has become a staple of my shore diving, but due to long hikes up and down rock walls, cliff-jump entries and washing machine entries (and that's on a good day) I wouldn't recommend it for anybody who is unsure of their abilities in the water.

Blowhole is a somewhat different story. The walk down is still a little rough, but a little better worn due to the popularity of From Here to Eternity Beach goers. The entry is a beach entry. The dive itself can have a touch of current from time to time, but I've never seen it. The problem with Blowhole is that, like Lanai Lookout, it faces a direction that often takes a lot of swell.

I'll mention a couple more south shore sites you missed. Portlock has become my go-to site when the waves are up everywhere simply because it is the only spot I can readily think of that is easier with a little surf. However, like Lanai Lookout, Portlock should only be attempted by experienced divers. It has caves, wildly varying vis (depends 100% on the tide) and ripping currents that either carry you calmly to your exit or whisk you away into the open sea.

Finally, in spite of its use, Hanauma Bay is spectacular and usually diveable due to its protected nature, but to get to the really good spots, you have to work a little first. Most consider it a beginner dive because it has showers, lifeguards, and easy beach access. I hate beach access and find sand is both a PITA to walk through and a PITA to rinse out of your gear. Also, the wave activity and tides combine to create pretty good out-flushing currents at the channels leading out of the inner reef. Of course, unlike the other spots listed here, you could always wave at a lifeguard and they'll come out to assist you.

Would you say it's too much for a beginner diver, or just something to be aware of?

On my only dive trip to Hawaii to date, we were supposed to go to the YO257 but the current was too strong at the site and we headed to the Sea Tiger instead. Great dive with some noticeable current, but manageable. Second dive was a shallower reef and no noticeable current. To echo an earlier poster, if concerned about current, look for an op offering two shallow dives.

I really dislike Key West ($$$) and the dive operators there.

If you're going to be in that area, I strongly recommend going to Key Largo instead. It's just a tiny bit cheaper in Key Largo, but the diving and dive operators are infinitely better.

I decidedly don't take tourists or beginners with me for a few reasons, the first being that I tend to dive more "adventurous" spots. I think you'd be hard pressed to find somebody who will take beginners shore diving on the south shore of Oahu.

Lanai Lookout has become a staple of my shore diving, but due to long hikes up and down rock walls, cliff-jump entries and washing machine entries (and that's on a good day) I wouldn't recommend it for anybody who is unsure of their abilities in the water.

Blowhole is a somewhat different story. The walk down is still a little rough, but a little better worn due to the popularity of From Here to Eternity Beach goers. The entry is a beach entry. The dive itself can have a touch of current from time to time, but I've never seen it. The problem with Blowhole is that, like Lanai Lookout, it faces a direction that often takes a lot of swell.

I'll mention a couple more south shore sites you missed. Portlock has become my go-to site when the waves are up everywhere simply because it is the only spot I can readily think of that is easier with a little surf. However, like Lanai Lookout, Portlock should only be attempted by experienced divers. It has caves, wildly varying vis (depends 100% on the tide) and ripping currents that either carry you calmly to your exit or whisk you away into the open sea.

(I skipped Portlock because of the need to park in a private residential area, and I kind of feel that only locals should do that, and tourists should not. PLus to explain, and demo the exit is more effort than it is worth because is it so unique to Portlock. "Ride a wave until it slaps you onto a rock and don't let go, scrabble up the rocks with one fin on and one fin off" Everyone understand the words, but until you see it done... But listening to whales sing the whole dive in season is nice.)

Lanai Lookout is the go-to point to take DMCs for me, specifically as it involves a ton of evaluation, and self control. I have taken tourists who are trained in Hawaii there, but only when I have someone to stay with the vehicle. But I haven't really heard of anyone else taking tourists there, though a lot of regular tourists solo dive there.

Blowhole is a great site for DMCs as well because the surge and whiteout in the 'right conditions' is not really available elsewhere in Hawaii from an easy beach entry. I dove there for my OW course when it was mostly flat, but plenty surgy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom