Trip to Honolulu and Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed in Key West and dove with Strike Zone in Big Pine Key. The reef (Looe Key) was very nice - not beat up from too many divers - and Strike Zone seemed to be well run. Big Pine is a bit of a drive from Key West - maybe 1/2 hour to 45 minutes - but worth it to us.

I really dislike Key West ($$$) and the dive operators there.

If you're going to be in that area, I strongly recommend going to Key Largo instead. It's just a tiny bit cheaper in Key Largo, but the diving and dive operators are infinitely better.

Doc Harry is correct. If your only consideration is money, you won't like Key West. It's expensive to be at the end of the road.

In Honolulu I always dive with either Dive Oahu or Breeze Hawaii, depending on what side of the island I want to dive. Both are great shops and provide hotel pickup at no additional charge. Breeze caters to more of the Japaneese divers and I am often the only one on the boat who doesn't speak Japaneese but everyone is friendly and you cant talk underwater anyway.
I Key West, Sub Tropic dive center. Make sure you dive the Vanednburg! Get a square grouper sandwhich sandwhich at BO's fish wagon and relax at the schooner wharf bar.

Subtropic is one of the dive operators that lied to me and caused so many problems when I was in Key West. Just avoid the place and go to Key Largo.

I Key West, Sub Tropic dive center. Make sure you dive the Vanednburg! Get a square grouper sandwhich sandwhich at BO's fish wagon and relax at the schooner wharf bar.

When I was there Subtropic did not run all week and never called me. I had to take a cab over the first day to find out. Capt Corner did a very nice job all week and if your a skilled diver they let you alone!

When I was there Subtropic did not run all week and never called me. I had to take a cab over the first day to find out. Capt Corner did a very nice job all week and if your a skilled diver they let you alone!

I booked a week of diving with Subtropic and flew down to Key West. "The dive conditions are great! Night dives every Tuesday!"

Once I got down to Key West I discovered that Subtropic had not been out all week because of very poor conditions, and did not anticipate going out for at least another week.

Airfare $800
Lodging $1,800
Food $150

In 10 days in Key West I got ONE DIVE in 15 feet of water with a snorkel trip, visibility was 4 feet. And that dive wasn't even with Subtropic.

Thanks Subtropic for the wonderful Key West dive vacation!

I really dislike Key West ($$$) and the dive operators there.

If you're going to be in that area, I strongly recommend going to Key Largo instead. It's just a tiny bit cheaper in Key Largo, but the diving and dive operators are infinitely better.

I was in Key West about a year ago, and wasn't impressed with the dive companies I checked out, nor the one day of diving I got in with Captain's Corner. If I ever go back to the Keys, I'll check out the Upper Keys instead. Key West itself is fun however, despite the high prices.

Subtropic no longer exists. Try Seaduction instead. Same place, new owners and attitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom