Tropical Weather Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope that's all it does. The sea here has been warmer than any year I remember diving here. If it sits there long enough.....Keith, Mitch....formed right out here. It's been eerily quiet for too long. And I have bad luck with hurricanes. I was within a mile of the eye of all three that hit Belize in the last 14 years. Not to mention Iwa on Kauai in 82 where the eye passed right over my house....and Ruping....a cat 4 that hit Cebu in 1989?....right over our house there....brrrrrr. I hate these things...:depressed:

I feel your pain. I spent several years with narrow misses...Ivy? I think it was narrowly missed us on the Brac before hitting Belize...we were supposed to fly into LC the day Ivan hit in 2004....and finally, we got nailed by Wilma in 2005. Sometimes you just have to find the item of gear that you have that is attracting them. We figured out it was our fins and upgraded them. Three years later, after not having any problems on trips, Ike came looking for us and nailed our house in Houston where the old fins were in the closet. My suggestion is to buy all new gear just in case it is some item attracting the storms to you. :wink:

hah. I think it's more than gear. My first marriage was on the very day Mt St Helens blew up. This is come cosmic sh!t. haha. There were another 4-5 typhoons in the Philippines that passed really close. Friends at a couple dive shops in Boracay told me to stop coming there because about 4 times I was there, we had very close calls. They were serious too. Close enough to take down some trees. But....I could use a new reg.....:D

Sitting in the gate area at Tampa about to get on the Cayman Airways flight to GC. Sunny and perfect here...hope it follows us down!

Good luck.

Brac weather report from today---Friday........showered this AM about 9 AM......partly cloudy with a lot sun thruout the rest of today.....winds were a lot less thruout the day,probably very similar to Tuesday & Wednesday ie VERY nice considering what could have been.....hope everyone has a great trip in this weekend & continues to have great weather thruout their stay.......

Don't get too concerned. I dived on the N Wall (Grand Cayman) yesterday and again today and it was fine - good diving. The forecasts tend to overstate the problems.

Today was good...wife missed the two morning dives with sinus headaches, but felt well enough for the afternoon dive. Cloudy all day with a few sprinkles, but sea conditions are fine. Had some strong storms and rain move through last night, but they have stayed away so far today.

Wow, so much worrying, chatter, and even trip cancellations over a wanna-be system that never ever got a name - then had to cross a wide peninsula. :confused: It's still struggling to build over warm waters, but not likely to even make Storm status.

Hurricane Ana gave Hawaii a good scare, then missed, but is a real survivor. I see more indications for it hitting Canada at the moment than this Wave amounting to anything.

Did an Op really pull boats on Cayman? Was there some reason?

We never see discussions like this in the Storm forum. Maybe it was a good idea that failed. People want to talk weather on the local forums I suppose. :idk: But then, this was never a Storm.

I have a boat in Key West. Forecast for Monday is for 65 knot winds and 29 foot seas in a 6-10 second wave period. I'm thinking about where to go right now.
Did you forget to insert smilies? That would be a Cat-1 force. I see a rain forecast for Wednesday, but little before then. Did some service really forecast a Storm Monday when you posted that?

We are on brac and did the two morning dives today and the weather was good. A little cloudy and cooler than usual but the sun is out now. We dived manta canyon on the south side and the vis was pretty good at about 50 feet and the water temp was 84f.

The second dive was on nearby Butterfly reef and it was calm. According to the weather channel's forecast it has been storming here all day, but I haven't seen any rain yet today.

last week on Grand Cayman there were some heavy thunderstorms and it was windy even when it wasn't raining and the waves were pretty rough. A shopkeeper told me that two cruise ships cancelled coming in to georgetown because it was too rough to ferry passengers ashore. We did some snorkeling and a shore dive at turtle reef and then we gave up because there was a lot of waves and surge and poor vis; I hope this week stays nice.

Kathy, we were on Brac all last week diving & it was fine....One day, ??maybe Friday, it was ruff coming out(thru) CBBR's channel, but other than that it was great all week..........Hope everyone has good weather till you get home.....:).......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom