Tropical Weather Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, so much worrying, chatter, and even trip cancellations over a wanna-be system that never ever got a name - then had to cross a wide peninsula. :confused: It's still struggling to build over warm waters, but not likely to even make Storm status.

Hurricane Ana gave Hawaii a good scare, then missed, but is a real survivor. I see more indications for it hitting Canada at the moment than this Wave amounting to anything.

Did an Op really pull boats on Cayman? Was there some reason?

It didn't develop. That's good. No one was sure what was going to happen 5 days ago and that's why the discussion started. Weatherunderground had projections of it possibly going off in every direction and Jeff Masters was saying it could strengthen after entering the warm Caribbean.

Better to be safe than losing your boat. I've had my a$$ handed to me twice after taking these too lightly. Remember Richard? Tropical storm. No worries....then it cranked up to a Cat 2 right as it made landfall in Mullins River.

But if you insist, we'll try to keep these in the storm section....???....dude....:D

I'm not insisting anything. I post in the Storm forum, but it seems like a lost cause.

I've done trips when I should have collected trip insurance with a Cat-5 headed to my destination - then left shortly afterwards, cancelled trips with excess caution at times, and before internet - didn't bother checking as it was too hard to get news. Being careful with good information is best, but this was never even a named Storm - unless it had a name in the Pacific before crossing? I remember it crossing from the other ocean, but don't remember if it was named there? Don't think so?

I see that Ana finally dropped off the map even tho she'll still be spawning local squalls. This one seems to be going west for land again and probably won't last long in the Honduran mountains. Mainland flooding could be next.

---------- Post added October 27th, 2014 at 10:08 AM ----------

Ok, it finally got named as it hit shore: Tropical Storm Hanna

On brac today it is sunny and windy. We did the two morning dives and experienced heavy seas on the first site (eden wall). It was like riding a bucking bronco all the way out to the site but the dive was okay after you dropped over the wall. Getting back on the boat was a real challenge. The boat went back to the dock after the first dive and more than half the divers decided to scratch the second dive.

We did go on the second dive (nearby tarpon alley) and it was choppy but better. A very pretty reef with lots of life but we had to fight some current and surge. I haven't heard about the afternoon dive but I hope things got better.

The dive masters say that today and tomorrow are supposed to be rough but then the forecast gets better; I have my fingers crossed!

On brac today it is sunny and windy. We did the two morning dives and experienced heavy seas on the first site (eden wall). It was like riding a bucking bronco all the way out to the site but the dive was okay after you dropped over the wall. Getting back on the boat was a real challenge. The boat went back to the dock after the first dive and more than half the divers decided to scratch the second dive.

We did go on the second dive (nearby tarpon alley) and it was choppy but better. A very pretty reef with lots of life but we had to fight some current and surge. I haven't heard about the afternoon dive but I hope things got better.

The dive masters say that today and tomorrow are supposed to be rough but then the forecast gets better; I have my fingers crossed!

It'll get better-lol---it has to..........which boat you on??---Jeff & crew(Tom & BJ) or Barbie's boat?----or---are they running 3 this week(only 2 last week when we were there).....have a great week.......

or Barbie's boat?----.

OMG, Barbie is still on the Brac and working at the BRBR? I liked her way back when she worked at the Divi, she is a pleasant person.

There may well be squalls around the Caymans, but I doubt that wanna-be storm on the coast of Belize has much to do with it.

Hope you have good diving...! :thumb:

at201496_sat.jpg

Caymaniac, Yep----going strong........She & Manny were our DMs for the week 3 years ago....Last week she was DM'ing the other boat....Still just as pleasant as always.....

Caymaniac, Yep----going strong........She & Manny were our DMs for the week 3 years ago....Last week she was DM'ing the other boat....Still just as pleasant as always.....

She was at the BRR two years ago and so Manny has been around for a long time too. She is for me, the person whom I've known to be a DM on one island the longest.

She was at the BRR two years ago and so Manny has been around for a long time too. She is for me, the person whom I've known to be a DM on one island the longest.

Manny got married & is living in Iowa, either just had a baby or expecting one soon(lol--heard both stories from 2 different people---but---both said living in Iowa)

It'll get better-lol---it has to..........which boat you on??---Jeff & crew(Tom & BJ) or Barbie's boat?----or---are they running 3 this week(only 2 last week when we were there).....have a great week.......

We are on coral sister with Barb and Jeff and they are great. They are running three boats this week. Today's weather was much better and the dives were very nice. We went to the north side and dived cemetery wall and tombstone (very fitting for Halloween week!) There was still some wind and chop and two people got very seasick during the interval today, but now the wind has dropped and I am sure that the rest of the week will be super.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom