Trouble accessing spg when using stage bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJdiver85

Contributor
Reaction score
I tried using a stage bottle clipped to my left d-ring and left hip-ring, but found it difficult to get to my spg. How should the spg hose be routed in relation to the stage bottle? Anyone know of a link to a picture of how this should look?

How much slack did you leave on the rear bolt snap?

If you leave about 3" of strap between the bottle and the bolt snap, it will alllow enough room for you to reach between you and the stage to reach the SPG (routed next to your body between you and the stage). And the slack will also allow the empty stage to float up a bit and streamline itself better in the water.

Along with having the right tail length on the bottom bolt snap on the bottle this move taks som practice. We just added a new team member in the begining of the season and she had alot of trouble checking her gauge. Now its the end of the season and it is secound nature for her. Practice, practice, practice.

Hint: Try to make the pressure gauge bolt snap ride on top of the d-ring above the snaps for the stage bottles.

One thing that works better is to ensure that you reach back around behind the ends of the deco bottles and move your hand forward rather than trying to work your hand straight down to the D ring.

As noted, its mostly a problem when you're new to it. Spend a season diving that way, working with the SPG boltsnap on each of your dives, by the end of several dives spent practicing it will be second nature.

I use Doc's technique and it works fine. Another idea is feel for your hose, that will lead you to your bolt snap.

salty:
Hint: Try to make the pressure gauge bolt snap ride on top of the d-ring above the snaps for the stage bottles.

I find it easier with the SPG snap on the bottom, because the stages float up out of the way.

JimC:
I find it easier with the SPG snap on the bottom, because the stages float up out of the way.

Jim is correct. FWIW, the order of the bolt snaps from top to bottom on the hip D-ring starts with the inside bottle to the outside bottle followed by SPG and then leashes for more bottles. The same basic procedure taught in DIR-F to deploy the SPG for reading (wide left arm sweep) is also helpful in finding the SPG and getting your arm around the AL80 and AL40 bottles (as Doc notes). Generally speaking, the bottles clipped to your left will ride up (as AL80/40 will always ride head heavy, butt light) on the D-ring (as Jim notes). This is true only if you are in the trim position. Those bottles on leashes will ride down on the hip D-ring. The end result is maximum exposure of the hip D-ring to easily clip/unclip your SPG. Hope that helps a bit.

Sincerely,
H2

I was taught in my Cave II class that the SPG was to be placed on top when in the horizontal postion. The stage in use was on the bottom and a hip clipped bottle goes in between.

HarryH97:
Jim is correct. FWIW, the order of the bolt snaps from top to bottom on the hip D-ring starts with the inside bottle to the outside bottle followed by SPG and then leashes for more bottles. The same basic procedure taught in DIR-F to deploy the SPG for reading (wide left arm sweep) is also helpful in finding the SPG and getting your arm around the AL80 and AL40 bottles (as Doc notes). Generally speaking, the bottles clipped to your left will ride up (as AL80/40 will always ride head heavy, butt light) on the D-ring (as Jim notes). This is true only if you are in the trim position. Those bottles on leashes will ride down on the hip D-ring. The end result is maximum exposure of the hip D-ring to easily clip/unclip your SPG. Hope that helps a bit.

Sincerely,
H2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom