Trouble with dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkr3000

Reaction score
Here's the situation: I have been certified for about 2 and a half years from a local dive shop in Abilene that certifies with SSI. Subsequently, I also got my wife, teenage son and daughter certified as well through the shop. We spent thousands of dollars in the shop getting gear and multiple level classes throughout the past several years. However, I did not purchase all of my gear through this shop - mainly I purchased all 4 sets of regulators from a different dealer in Dallas basically because I wanted that brand of regulators instead of what the dive shop carries for various reasons.

About 6 months ago, I paid for my Dive Con classes and received my study manuels to start classes. I'm planning to keep going to instructor as well. Once I was finally contacted this past week (6 months later) to get things situated for these classes, I was told that I had to purchase the dive shop's regulators in order to go through the classes. I acknowledged supporting the dive shop and that I wouldn't be using my other brand regulators during classes, but they still insisted me purchasing a set of their regulators (at approximately $1400) before I can proceed with my Dive Con classes.

This is the first I have heard of this policy from the shop. They do not want to lend me their equipment nor do they want to give me a refund for the $560 I paid for the class. The policy sheet I received from the dive shop today states on the first line of the Dive Con responsibilities page to "Wear, use, OR buy dive shop equipment". To me that says I am not required to purchase all my gear there as long as I am using that brand during classes. What is your opinion of this situation? I will become a Dive Con and and Instructor, but I have other dive shops I can turn to. Keep in mind that I have already spent about 5 thousand dollars in this shop. :bounce:

Have someone on the outside call the FBI. You are being held hostage and there is a ransom note to prove it.

Know a lawyer? Small claims is an option as is the BBB.

That's BS

Gary D.

I'd be looking for a new shop, pronto. I like my LDS because it is LOCAL. I check prices on-line and elsewhere, and informed LDS we needed to be close to do business, but that I prefer to do business locally. They only need to come close on prices.. an extra 20% along with extra local tax is fine. I treat them fairly and expect the same....and get it; along with the perks of local service.

rkr3000:
...nor do they want to give me a refund for the $560 I paid for the class.
Does this mean that they WON'T, or that they'er just giving you a hard time.
They have a right to ask even the rediculous. You have a right to say no. Get your money and get out. Even if they changed their mind, my business with these guys would be over.

Requiring you to only use equipment that is sold by the LDS for "takeing" a class with them is completely out of line. The same cannot be said for "teaching" a class, that is a completely different story.

Dump the dive shop, demand your money back, and do not back down. Seek legal recourse if they do not refund the entire amount of money. This type of action is precisely why online stores are flourishing.

this is a completely outrageous situation. i would never set foot in that shop again.

I would also complain to SSI. While they legally are not responsible they can put some pressure on the dive shop.

Will they let you rent their brand while you're taking your class? The LDS wants you to be "visible" with their gear so they sell more gear, nothing wrong with that. I have a "teaching rig" set of reg's and I have another set I dive with when I'm on a trip. if this is the only problem you are having talk with the boss and see if you can use a set of their rental regs and all should be OK If they are trying to force you to buy their regs demand your money back and go somewhere else. If you are persistent, polite and right you should be able to work somethig out. If they won't work with you why would you want to do business with them.M

Boogie711:
Document everything clearly, and if all else fails, that's what small claims court is for.

i agree 100% with you. take them to Texas Justice and let Judge Larry Joe ream them a new one. :)

steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom