Trustfire TR-J1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the actual lumens output, I would expect this light to be between 100-200 lumens based on my experience with Surefire weapons lights and the pics I see posted by Doc.

While I'm not to certain about the actual light output of the light, I can guarantee that it puts out a lot more than 200lm. Examining the spec sheet from Cree reveals that even at a low setting of 1a current, the luminous flux of a T6 bin XML is still around 388lm.

Screenshot2012-05-17at105429AM.jpg

Burn time really depends on the quality of the cell used. Theoretically, given that an XML can be driven safely up to almost 3amps (~900lm output), a real 3000maH cell could give about 1 hour on full, with corresponding increases if the driver is run at 50% and its low setting of 10%.

I dove my light today in Lake Travis down to about 60'. Vis was about 6'. The light was OK. Remember I haven't dove in years and I don't have anything to compare it to but I wasn't impressed like "wow, that's a lot of light". I came home and my neighbor is a cop and he said his light was around 200 lumen and his seemed brighter both in the middle and the spill.

Still, it was cheap so I doubt it's any dimmer then anything else I would have bought at the LDS at that price point. I've got a DRIS 1000 in the mail so I'll compare that when I get it. My buddy had a 10watt HID but choose not to dive it for some reason. Instead he dove the same light that I dove. The HID would have been interesting.

I agree that a direct comparison with a 10W HID would have been interesting. Could you ask your buddy to try it out, considering that he has both? And also why he chose just the back-up in lieu of his canister light?

I'm pretty sure he had just bought it and since it was my first dive in a long time he wasn't wanting to change his gear config and fidget with new stuff. I'm sure we'll be diving again though so we'll get to see it.

My DRIS 1000 was shipped yesterday so I'll compare those two next time also.

While I'm not to certain about the actual light output of the light, I can guarantee that it puts out a lot more than 200lm.

No, it doesn't. The spec sheet below was created to sell YOU the light. I like the quality of the light and all, but lets not get carried away. I have extensive experience with high end surefire lights, and can assure you with a great deal of certainty this light is around 150-200 lumens. (probably closer to 150)

Screenshot2012-05-17at105429AM.jpg

Actually the spec sheet was to sell the light manufacture the emitter. Their marketing then relies on the information provided to them. Probably same result though.

I have no way of measuring the light output but I think I'm going to agree with you that it appears to be around 150-200 lumen. Still, $45 for the light with two rechargeable batteries still doesn't like a horrible deal to me. If my DRIS 1000 is brighter, this light will be my backup. If not, I guess I'll be saving up for a canister light.

Actually the spec sheet was to sell the light manufacture the emitter. Their marketing then relies on the information provided to them. Probably same result though.

I have no way of measuring the light output but I think I'm going to agree with you that it appears to be around 150-200 lumen. Still, $45 for the light with two rechargeable batteries still doesn't like a horrible deal to me. If my DRIS 1000 is brighter, this light will be my backup. If not, I guess I'll be saving up for a canister light.

Agreed. I am happy with the purchase and for $45 bucks and realising this will be a backup I don't think you can go wrong.

A bit OT, but just a few quick questions:

1. For the Surefire lights, were the lumens from the SF lights measured independently, or are they based on SF website data?
2. What emitters do SF lights use? There's a particular one - M6LT which SF rates at 900lm - that I'm personally interested in.

I'm asking because I have very limited exposure with SF lights and wanted to get the perspective of someone with experience.

Thanks.

Comparing the TR-J1 to a Sola 1200 video in spot mode, as well as a MagicShine light that appears to use the same LED as the Trustfire, all three have similar brightness at high power. I believe the TR-J1 at high is more powerful than 200 lumens, unless people would like to claim the Sola 1200 at max isn't 1200 either.

Comparing the TR-J1 to a Sola 1200 video in spot mode, as well as a MagicShine light that appears to use the same LED as the Trustfire, all three have similar brightness at high power. I believe the TR-J1 at high is more powerful than 200 lumens, unless people would like to claim the Sola 1200 at max isn't 1200 either.

The Sola 1200 has a 500 lumen spot, so it certainly isn't any more than that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom