Trying to find the right PLB and canister combo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have manged to get my custom Diver canister sealed again using a BS139 O ring stretched on the top seal with original O ring (62mm x 2mm) on the inner seal. This probably means only the BS139 O ring is sealing now as the original O ring is probably doing nothing given it leaked and the lid/lower body is oval. A temporary fix at best I think. I can now feel that the lid has stretched out marginally as there is a step between the lower body and top cap, again clearly indicating that the material is very thin and moves about easily. In my opinion, less than ideal.

I bought two broken Dive Rite Light Canisters, cost about $125.00 a piece. Threw everything away except canister, works great and big enough (11" x 3") for my ACR View PLB and Strobe plus some.

I bought two broken Dive Rite Light Canisters

You might want to do some testing to make sure you can get the lid open under different conditions... like when the housing is much colder than when you closed it. A very small differential pressure can be difficult to break depending on the O-ring and clamping design.

True, but I imagine that extra tightness would be met with an adrenaline assist.

I have had 3" housings with flat-face O-ring seals and spring-loaded latches that I couldn't get the lid open on a bench. One of the worst cases was a housing that was closed and the pressure leaked out during a long flight. It took a screwdriver and the anodizing was scarred.

Replacing a switch or cable penetration with an equalizing valve would prevent the problem. A piston seal O-ring with screw threads works in your favor in this application. This thread has a photo: O-rings for Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom