Trying to go full SS backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bought a XT Dive Rite plate, the one with all the cutouts. Usually use soft pacs harness for last several years. I'm 6' 3" and I set the plate up with an XL Transplate harness. No water or dives on it yet. 2 ??? I can barely touch the top of the plate with fingers, but am concerned that the waist strap is fully 2 to 3 inches above my belly button. Seems high, but would hate to lower the plate on my back. Is this normal for regular size plates?
Just curious why you need to be able to touch the top of the plate? It seems like you should just adjust the chest straps so the plate sits lower on your back to get the waist strap where you want it

Did you try calling Dive Rite and talking to them about how to set it up, or watching their videos? Every time I've talked to them they are extremely helpful and knowledgeable

Just curious why you need to be able to touch the top of the plate? It seems like you should just adjust the chest straps so the plate sits lower on your back to get the waist strap where you want it

For doubles, being able to reach the top of the plate (for most people) allows for reaching the left & right valves, because of the way the plate is bolted to the cylinders. DR plates only have 1 set of holes, not 3 sets of holes that many others have, for further adjustment. If the OP is wearing singles,... should be no problem to adjust where he wants.

Chuckitall Why don't you post a picture of the plate on your back.

Front view with your arms neutral and a side and back view with your arm touching the top of the plate.
Sometimes the plate is fine, it's just the diver's flexibility or a miss-rigging of the harness.
Or heck, sometimes you're just pulling up on the waist strap when you clasp it.

There are plenty of tall divers using standard sized plates even before DSS came out. Might not even be an issue when you dive it.

check out a DSS plate, that should fix your problems

Bought a XT Dive Rite plate, the one with all the cutouts. Usually use soft pacs harness for last several years. I'm 6' 3" and I set the plate up with an XL Transplate harness. No water or dives on it yet. 2 ??? I can barely touch the top of the plate with fingers, but am concerned that the waist strap is fully 2 to 3 inches above my belly button. Seems high, but would hate to lower the plate on my back. Is this normal for regular size plates?

I love to hear the input/recommendations from (1) short folks, (2) tall folks (in denial) who haven't been exposed to a proper fitting piece of equipment...

yes, in a bind, you could lower the plate... however, that then changes the entire way it is "fixed" to your back, as the strap angles (lets talk vectors here) change the loading/tension/resultant forces that hold the plate in place.... balance points change as well as how well it is "rigidly" attached to your torso. Center of gravity changes, and it becomes tougher than it has to be. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt......(sold the gear).

I spent years diving an ill fitting BC, then an ill fitting back inflate. Once I learned of the existence of, located a tall plate, and made the sacrifice (they, regrettably aren't anywhere near the economy of the run of the mill stuff), it really made a difference in concepts I struggled with for 20 years since certification (minus an 8 year SI). The return to the sport has been very pleasant with the proper gear. This is one of the true instances where equipment can make a difference in diving. Proper fit is very important, PERIOD!

DR plates only have 1 set of holes, not 3 sets of holes that many others have, for further adjustment

That problem was easily remedied with a drillbit, ruler, drill, and a scribe. Adding the extra hole allowed me to raise my doubles while keeping the bands at the break.

Not going to lie, I like the thought of the long pattern plate but I use an Al plate for the weight savings. I know Tobin makes a kydex plate, just not sure how I feel about it. I use kydex for work, and one of its benefits is the flex. I want my holster to flex as it makes it easy to secure mags, guns etc. Not sure how I would feel about a backplate with that much flex with 100lbs of tanks bolted on.

Edit:The other concern I would have with a long pettern wing is how it would fit the profile of wings. One of the reason I like the hollis/OMS/halcyon/light monkey wings and plates is that their profiles are so similar. (DR is more square, I recut mine to fit my hollis wing better) how does the long pattern plate fit the profile of a modern donut wing from the major manufacturers?

Last edited:
Guys, your missing the point a little bit, I want this regular size plate to work because it is half the weight of a normal SS plate. With my steel tanks and 3mm suits I am extremely negative during all my summer diving. The DR plate is on 2 1/2 lbs. I believe I can get used to a high waisted belt because I prefer my tanks higher on my back, actually looks great with my DR XT 25 lb wing. Take a look at this plate you might like it too.

Guys, your missing the point a little bit, I want this regular size plate to work because it is half the weight of a normal SS plate. With my steel tanks and 3mm suits I am extremely negative during all my summer diving. The DR plate is on 2 1/2 lbs. I believe I can get used to a high waisted belt because I prefer my tanks higher on my back, actually looks great with my DR XT 25 lb wing. Take a look at this plate you might like it too.

One thing that is interesting about fitting gear, be it a backplate or hiking backpack.... it is about torso length, not overall height. Two people who are both 6' 3" tall may have different inseam lengths and different torso lengths! So advice from any of us tall folks (I'm a tad under 6' 5") needs to be taken with a small grain of salt.... and advice from more "normal" humans (who are not tall) with a BIG grain of salt.... we are all speaking from our personal experiences, which may not apply to your particular torso length.

With that disclaimer out of the way, you probably will be able to adjust your crotch and waist straps so that the waist strap rides at or near belly button level. The backplate will "find its own level" on your back if you have the shoulder strap length correct, i.e. not sloppy loose, but not "tight" either. The shoulder straps should not be overly tight... the waiststrap / crotchstrap locks the backplate in place when you are in the water. Note the emphasis on being in the water.... this is not a hiking backpack, it is not going to feel "right" walking around on shore.... but in the water it should feel great.

I use a standard length backplate. The crotch strap pulls the waist strap down enough so that it is over my navel. I use a rubber freediving weight belt, worn very low.

You should be able to make that backplate work... but if you have an extra long torso, it might take more effort, and you should consider the recommendations about researching a longer backplate that others have made if that is the case.

Best wishes.

Bought a XT Dive Rite plate, the one with all the cutouts

I understand you're trying to get what you have to work, but I have to wonder why you would get an SS plate with lots of cutouts rather than an aluminium plate. The benefit of SS is the weight which you don't need since you're diving a 3mm suit and steel tanks.

To the OP - if you listen to everyone who says to go with a different backplate, let me know if you want to get rid of your s/s Dive Rite plate with all the cutouts. I might be interested

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom