Tub for rinsing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the same thing. Have you come up with some type of cover for it?

I use a piece of plywood with a brick on top. The brick is so that the wind does not blow it away.

I also use a 50 gallon chemical drum. Cut the top off with a sawzal and rinse it out and you good to go.

Stanley Tools makes a nice work site chest with wheels and retractable handle. I have seen these modified by adding a drain at the bottom (like seen on larger ice chests). It can be used to transport gear to the dive site and used later as a tub for rinsing. I imagine it could be used for gerar storage as well once it dries out.

I use a piece of plywood with a brick on top. The brick is so that the wind does not blow it away.

Thnx.

My dive trips usually involve a hotel stay. Their tubs work just fine

Last edited:
I use a large clean plastic outdoor garbage can. It's about 35 gallons when done I just tip it over water the lawn and give it a quick rinse.

moving to new house and started thinking about a bit more intelligent way to rinse my gear than my bathroom tub mostly because of the sand clogging the tub ... anybody out there with any cool DIY tricks and/or custom tub in the garage or backyard?
Many of the responses are not truly DIY, but work very well. For larger amounts of gear, and situations where I am rinsing gear several days in a row, my preferred method in the one Lynne mentioned - a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. These are fairly expensive to buy, but they are great to use. One downside is that you need quite a bit of water to fill them high enough to immerse gear. So, I don't fill mine except when I plan to use it for several days in a row, or need to immerse big objects (like a scooter, or tanks after I work on valves, etc). I don't like keeping it full of water for a long time, either, even with a cover.

A second option I use is a 33 gal rubber trash can. These are nice, have good vertical clearance so you can stuff quite a bit of gear in them, and are easily stowed when empty. The downside for me is that they are so tall that putting small items in them usually means bending over and almost immersing myself to get things off the bottom, if I am not ready to empty them.

My preferred tub for simple rinses, usually for smaller amounts of gear (e.g. my gear only), is a 70 quart rubber muck bucket (you can get them from any ag supply). They are relatively inexpensive, use the least amount of water, and therefore are the quickest to fill, but work just fine for serial rinsing of wetsuits, then bcds, then small items (lights, slates, computers) and the initial rinse of the regs (I usually put my regs in the kitchen sink for the final rinse). Even when full of water, they are also movable.

After I use any of these, my lawn gets the water afterward.

I have a Gear Gulper which I adapted by putting a male hoselock fitting at the top on one end and a water butt tap at the bottom of the other.

It stops any water leaking inside the car and when I get home I just put the whole lot on the deck, plug a hose into the male fitting and turn on the water. When the tub begins to overflow I turn the water off and open the butt tap to let it drain.

Once drained I just put the tub back in the shed, ready for the next dive.

Rinsed and away without even opening the lid of the tub.

Large Igloo ice chest, serves more than one purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom