Tumbling a tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogglebe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently acquired a used steel tank that was used for Nitrox. Being I'm not Nitrox-certified, I have to have the tank cleaned/tumbled. What's the reasoning for this? Does enriched air leave a coating in the tank?

Phil

No, you should only need a viz, and not even really that if it is in viz, just for your own peace of mind. The tumbling is used for when you get a tank o2 cleaned for use with nitrox. If you are not nitrox certified, then you really don't need to have it o2 cleaned, unless you plan on getting your nitrox cert soon, then you will be ahead of the game.

I recently acquired a used steel tank that was used for Nitrox. Being I'm not Nitrox-certified, I have to have the tank cleaned/tumbled. What's the reasoning for this? Does enriched air leave a coating in the tank?

Phil

In other words, you don't have to get it cleaned, and whoever told you that is full of hoohaa.

You should, however, get a visual inspection for your own piece of mind.

If there is rust inside (common with steel tanks), you ABSOLUTELY need to get it cleaned, and if this is the reason they asked to tumble it, it is NOT Hooey.

If there is rust inside (common with steel tanks), you ABSOLUTELY need to get it cleaned, and if this is the reason they asked to tumble it, it is NOT Hooey.

Absolutely, but the vis will tell him that. If he doesn't know the why it has to be cleaned, one might assume that he was told it had to be "cleaned" just to make the money. Some shops are like that. :rolleyes:

If the tank is in your possession, drain it, pull the valve, send a light down in it. If there's a bunch of rust in it, get it tumbled, if not, you're good to go with a standard vis.

:)

Completely agree with that there are some shady shops out there.

Phil

Somebody is having fun at your expense. Payback???

Back
Top Bottom