Tummy Problem While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished my owc and I had the same problem. I agree with RPJ and Roatan Joe, it mostly had to do with my lack of experience in controlling my movement underwater and stress. Throughout my confined water and first 2 ow dive, I was all over the place up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start. That plus drinking coffee+soda+spicy sub+ a lot of salt water, made me feel like I had a ball in my stomach, made it harder for me to breath properly, and contribute food to the ocean ecosystem). Lesson learned.

So I did what pretty much what everyone else suggested, avoided acidic food and really took my time to relax. Main thing was that I slowed down a little more than usual, and I went at a pace that I was comfortable with instead of trying to keep up with everyone else. With the certification, I got so focused on the drills that I forgot why I was doing it in the first place! Slow deep breaths and take a moment to enjoy your surrounding while you wait for your turn to demonstrate a skill. On the last ow dive, the stomach felt a lot better and I had a comfortable time uw.

I totally agree. 'Controlling your movement" underwater is key to avoiding these problems.

I am really new to scuba world, in progressing to get my Open Water License. I went to pool sessions for three time and experienced quite bad tummy problem. I feel some sort like heartburn, it cause me hardly to breath. Its seem that the O2 is not enough inhale to my lungs. So uncomfortable. Anyone having the same experience? How to overcome the problem? :depressed:

Check out DAN, the info I found on this is that some divers breath the gas into their stomach (thru improper breathing) and end up with a small amount of gas trapped there at depth, then surface and the gas expands causing bloating and heartburn.

I have been diving for 10 years and no matter how hard i have tried to improve and/or alter my breathing techniques I get heartburn on every dive. I have Fortunately for what I experience isn't as severe as what you discribe and doesn't effect my respiration. I have tried adjusting a
equipment but
My only solution is Zantac (ranitidine) sometimes even losec (Omeprazole) before every day of diving. You can speak to your doctor to discuss medical options if you want to go that route. It has really helped me.

I agree. For years I had the same problem. Recently, when I switched to a backplate & wings, I realized that the pressure from the traditional jacket BC cumberbund across my stomach & diaphram was the source of my issue. Apparently, I had G.E.R.D (commonly referred to as Acid Reflux) and didn't know it at the time.

Now between the bp & w and the ranitidine, I no longer have the issue.

FWIW,

Back
Top Bottom