Question Twin setup different mixes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Superlyte27 I'd love to hear your bailout/gas planning strategy with BM independent 50s if you're running one side hot and the other side with nitrox (assuming you run the same config for deeper dives). Specifically for deco dives / dives below 130'. And I'm not being antagonizing, strictly curious.

Call me, 407-304-9288

0-140

I’ve taken the Choptima to 500’. I’ve done many dives on it 350-450’

If I told you how those dives were done, you’ll all argue that I did them wrong too. I’m going to argue that none of you have the training I’ve had.

I’d also argue that I’ve never been bent, ever, in 30 years of diving, 25+ years of deep cave diving, 20 years of deep commercial diving, and 15 years of deep CCR diving. How many times have you been bent? That’s rhetorical. :)

Easy buddy, I am not going to tell you that you are gonna die, I just wanted to call you Florida man.

Was I bent if I declined the coast guard helicopter ride, told the ER doctor to F-off, and then left the emergency room to begin my 100 60 mile hitchhike back to the dive boat? That was rhetorical too :wink: (but it is a true story)

If I told you how those dives were done, you’ll all argue that I did them wrong too. I’m going to argue that none of you have the training I’ve had.

Just tell me, I don't know any better:)

And I admit, I don't have your training for certain and love to hear about it, so please do tell me.

I’d also argue that I’ve never been bent, ever, in 30 years of diving, 25+ years of deep cave diving, 20 years of deep commercial divine and 15 years of deep CCR diving. How many times have you been bent? That’s rhetorical. :)
Getting bent often has little to do with doing something wrong... a little bit of a red herring don't you think?

Easy buddy, I am not going to tell you that you are gonna die, I just wanted to call you Florida man.

Was I bent if I declined the coast guard helicopter ride, told the ER doctor to F-off, and then left the emergency room to begin my 100 60 mile hitchhike back to the dive boat? That was rhetorical too :wink: (but it is a true story)

Lost,
No animosity here. Tone is lost in text. :)

Getting bent often has little to do with doing something wrong... a little bit of a red herring don't you think?

In over 10,000 hours underwater, I’m either super human, bent isn’t always random, or I play the game differently than you. What do you think it is?

So, let me ask a question, making a dive to 350’ where (are you putting) and what bailout gas are you using?
8/80 would be my bailout / dil. Deco gasses would depend on duration, but for longer dives likely cover switches at 250', 190, 120', 70 & 20. For shorter dives I would probably cover 190, 70 and 20.

Let's go back to the original scenario, manifolded doubles with two different gasses in them. How does that even remotely make sense? And if you're in Open Water, like in the discussion by the Op, which direction are you going that you're concerned about deco while on your bailout gas.

Some people just can’t get away from antiquated ways of thinking. When last I talked to Ken we were discussing how he only taught the scooter speed matching method of air share while diving a DPV in a cave, while nearly everyone is putting the out of gas diver in the lead and the towed diver clipped im. Ken said that you couldn’t reach the 7’ hose in that config, lol. Okay.

Huh?

Scooter speed matching air sharing? I don't teach that, never have.

If you're talking about having the donor clip his scooter to the out of air divers butt d ring and ride behind it while the ooa diver drives the train, putting his scooter between his air source and the ooa divers mouth, that's not going to work well in a real emergency.

Happy to meet up and put it to a test.

But, what do you expect, his team took four decades to embrace sidemount and 3 decades to embrace CCR. He was part of the same group that side a chest mounted rebreather was a stupid idea that no one needed. Ironic as it’s the most sold rebreather of all time now for its cost, versatility, ease of use and portability.

It’s time to embrace innovations and technology and let go of antiquated ways of doing things.

If you're talking about the wkpp, I wasn't involved with them after around 2001, but Wayne Head was doing sidemount exploration in the wkpp on open circuit in 290' of water in the late 90s.

If you're talking about gue, my only involvement with gue is I am a certified fundamentals diver and keep an active membership (mostly for the periodicals).

Incidentally, I’ve never bailed out on an optima, but there are many other rebreathers that aren’t built with great tolerances and QC that I have needed to bailout on.

I guess some of us are just better. You’ll catch up one day. Just like you did with SM and CCR.
Wild.

Never heard of that.. any pictures?

I guess you could always make a wooden backplate:wink:
I don't have pics.
I've only seen cave divers with it and you don't see it all that often anymore. It's mostly old timers. They would stick the wood under the snoopy loops on large sidemounted steel tanks (18l and 20l euro tanks are about the size of a LP120 at 3600 psi) to offset the weight.
Many cave divers used to make their own gear and use very unique kinda configurations.

Ironic as it’s the most sold rebreather of all time now for its cost, versatility, ease of use and portability.
Chop is the most sold rebreather of all time? Is that right? Do you know how many units they've sold?

I think I might want one too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom