Question Twin setup different mixes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess you could always make a wooden backplate:wink:

Did someone say wood backplate? It’s even on my LP50s 🤣
B4790824-CB79-4055-ABB9-4D2C60430CD0.jpeg

Ever had to bail out on air instead of 32%. It sucks.

What’s the downside of having 32 on the right side for your buddy or your bailout and air on the left side to run the rebreather? I assume you don’t dive the Choptima or at the very least aren't very good at it. :)
I'm certified on a Choptima, never had to bail out in real. If you're bailing out so frequently and your concerns over deco lead to poor decision making, you may need a refresher.

Nope. You did see where my doubles were purpose built for my Choptima right?

If you’re side-mounting bailout/dil on any rebreather, are you putting air in both tanks? Of course not, so why is it any different if it’s on your back.
I typically run 18/45 as dil and bailout for both sidemount cylinders. If I need to bail out, a little deco won't scare me.

I typically run 18/45 as dil and bailout for both sidemount cylinders. If I need to bail out, a little deco won't scare me.

So, let me ask a question, making a dive to 350’ where (are you putting) and what bailout gas are you using?

And again….. what’s the harm in 32 on the right side and 21 on the left side?

Some people just can’t get away from antiquated ways of thinking. When last I talked to Ken we were discussing how he only taught the scooter speed matching method of air share while diving a DPV in a cave, while nearly everyone is putting the out of gas diver in the lead and the towed diver clipped im. Ken said that you couldn’t reach the 7’ hose in that config, lol. Okay.

But, what do you expect, his team took four decades to embrace sidemount and 3 decades to embrace CCR. He was part of the same group that side a chest mounted rebreather was a stupid idea that no one needed. Ironic as it’s the most sold rebreather of all time now for its cost, versatility, ease of use and portability.

It’s time to embrace innovations and technology and let go of antiquated ways of doing things.

Incidentally, I’ve never bailed out on an optima, but there are many other rebreathers that aren’t built with great tolerances and QC that I have needed to bailout on.

I guess some of us are just better. You’ll catch up one day. Just like you did with SM and CCR.

@Superlyte27 I'd love to hear your bailout/gas planning strategy with BM independent 50s if you're running one side hot and the other side with nitrox (assuming you run the same config for deeper dives). Specifically for deco dives / dives below 130'. And I'm not being antagonizing, strictly curious.

Serious question , what depth range do you use air and 32%?
And again….. what’s the harm in 32 on the right side and 22 on the left side?

Depth range you use this for?

Are there other combinations of deep / shallow you run in your independent back mount?

This isn't a setup, I am genuinely curious.

Depth range you use this for?

Are there other combinations of deep / shallow you run in your independent back mount?

This isn't a setup, I am genuinely curious.

0-140

I’ve taken the Choptima to 500’. I’ve done many dives on it 350-450’

If I told you how those dives were done, you’ll all argue that I did them wrong too. I’m going to argue that none of you have the training I’ve had.

I’d also argue that I’ve never been bent, ever, in 30 years of diving, 25+ years of deep cave diving, 20 years of deep commercial diving, and 15 years of deep CCR diving. How many times have you been bent? That’s rhetorical. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom