Two “almost” close calls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Not that they dived effectively as a team but what's wrong with a team of three?

There's nothing inherently wrong with a team of three, it just takes a bit more effort to have 3 who are truly buddies. I misinterpreted Stone's post and assumed there was already significant loss of buddy contact going on. In that sort of situation, a team of 3 just increases the difficulties.

Since I often fly to warm water dive spots by myself, and sometimes end up as the odd man on the boat (no snide comments please), I'm often in a 3 man buddy team. So my comments on 3 man teams being more challenging than 2 person teams is based on personal experience.

3 buddies, with each keeping contact and aware of the other 2 works well. One person leading with a 2 person buddy team following works well. A 2 person buddy team shepherding around the reef a dependent buddy, such as a photographer or a new diver, works well.

One of a 2 person buddy team leading, with the 3rd diver "somewhere in the vicinity" and neither of the other buddies aware of him doesn't work out as well, and the 3rd is effectively solo.

Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom